What rated power supply will i need for this machine?

edited October 2005 in Hardware
AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ "Manchester" ~2000MHz
ASUS A8N-SLI Nforce4
1024MB (2x512MB) Kingston ValueRAM PC2700/DDR333 Dual-Channel
BFG Tech BFGR78256GTOC Geforce 7800GT 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 VIVO PCI-E x16
Western Digital 200GB 8MB Cache IDE 7200RPM HDD WD2000JB-00GVA0
Seagate 120GB 8MB Cache IDE 7200RPM HDD ST3120022A
USB Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 NX
iomega Dual DVD 4x2.4x4x2 DVD +/- RW DVDRW4216IND-A
iomega 52x24x52 CDRW CDRW64896INT-B
Panasonic 3.5" Floppy Drive
Philips 109B5 19" Flat CRT Monitor (1280x1024 85Hz)
Creative Inspire 5200 5.1 Speakers
Logitech Cordless rechargable mouse MX700
Logitech Cordless Elite Keyboard
Thermaltake Xaser 'Shark' Silver Aluminium ATX Case
Undetermined PSU
Cooler Master Aerogate II Fan Controller (Black)

Posted a full system spec list. Basically, the new items are the Athlon X2, The A8N-SLI, and the 7800GT. Still waiting on these parts, of course, but i'm interested to know in advance, what power supply would be the cheapest and most effective in this situation. Please keep in mind i'm Australian, so links to products available in Australia would be ideal. My current power supply which runs an Athlon XP2600+, a R9600XT, and everything else above (less the new gear, of course) is a Thermaltake W0009R, which can be found here. I'm extremely confident i need something alot bigger, particularly if down the road, i decided to run two 7800GT's in SLI mode :). Input?

Comments

• QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    I'm not an "Expert" but I would recomend at least 500watt PSU. I like THIS PSU from Newegg. Its $119.00 but it has some REALLY nice features. This PSU can handle a SLI boards... Anyone else have an opinion?
  • edited October 2005
    For a psu for your new system, you will definitely need one that has a 24 pin connector instead of the more common 20 pin atx connector. Also you will need a minimum of a 500 watt, quality brand psu such as PC Power and Cooling, OCZ, TTGI/Superflower, Antec or some other quality brand. As far as what's available in Oz, I will have to leave that to another as I don't know your e-tailers or stores. You might check out which psu's that Asus has qualified for the new mobo as SLI-capable too.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    ive started with and have never stopped using antec psus, never had any problems with them at all. if you can get your hands on a phantom 500 thats what i would recomend, its sli ready, 24 pin connector, fanless(but has a failsafe fan to kick in if it gets too hot) so noise is not problem. one issue i had was its big but that case is decent size and you shouldnt have a problem. anouther ive used is antec true power 550, also a great psu, thats a 20 pin though youll need a converter.
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited October 2005
    Would recommend the same as the other guys. It's better to have a few watts to spare than be short a few.

All our high end puters run 500w. No probs with these Blue Storm 500w.

120mm fan, 24 pin, made by Fortron.

Also use Superflower 500w.

140mm fan.

Depending where in Oz you are as to where to get the best deal.
    I only know the local ones in W.A. for the best prices.
    Google is your best friend for that. :)
  • edited October 2005
    PC Power and Cooling and OCz make good PSU's, I tend to go with the OCz modstream for it's functionality.

But I have one question for you.

Why such a high end system and such bad memory? :[]
  • edited October 2005
    dragonV8 wrote:
    Depending where in Oz you are as to where to get the best deal.
    I only know the local ones in W.A. for the best prices.
    Google is your best friend for that. :)

I'm from Albury, New South Wales. Closest capital is Melbourne.

Local retailers are EXTREMELY overpriced, so recommendations for Melbourne/Sydney would be best.
    edited October 2005
    goKi wrote:
    I'm from Albury, New South Wales. Closest capital is Melbourne.

Local retailers are EXTREMELY overpriced, so recommendations for Melbourne/Sydney would be best.

Cheapest i have seen from doing online searching is MSY.
    Wish they were in W.A. Don't really know if this helps you, but worth a shot.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    goKi and DragonV8. The three of us are in somewhat of a similar situation. The local retail market can be pretty expensive here in the Eagle River/Anchorage area (thank goodness for CompUSA), but there is some competition. Unfortunately though, online vendors' often don't provide much relief, as shipping costs are pretty high, making a really bad economy of scale for purchases of small items. When you fellows order online, what is the typical distance the shipped product travels to get to you?
    edited October 2005
    Leonardo wrote:
    goKi and DragonV8. The three of us are in somewhat of a similar situation. The local retail market can be pretty expensive here in the Eagle River/Anchorage area (thank goodness for CompUSA), but there is some competition. Unfortunately though, online vendors' often don't provide much relief, as shipping costs are pretty high, making a really bad economy of scale for purchases of small items. When you fellows order online, what is the typical distance the shipped product travels to get to you?

Generally if it's not available locally, we order from a shop in Sydney. Unfortunately it's the other side of the country. Distance of around 4,400K's.

The things we do to feed a habit, lol. :)
  • edited October 2005
    When there's usually a 30% difference in price... say.. for example, the A8N-SLI board is $279AU locally and <$200 online, the postage doesn't matter too much.

Also, from what i can see, the cheapest online store in Australia would probably be Centre Com - www.centrecom.com.au

I purchased the Antec Truecontrol 2.0 550W. SLI certified, and powerful.