No Power to keyboard, mouse or monitor

edited December 2011 in Hardware
This morning I woke up, the picture I was working on was up on the screen and no mouse. Frozen... so I unplugged and now I have no power to monitor, no power to mouse or to keyboard, yet I get all the startup action on my tower.. lights etc. I tried a remote login to see if I showed as online.. but it says I am not.

Any ideas?? I have a ton of images on that computer, I am a professional photographer and I am one step away from major panic here...

Thanks in advance

I am on my secondary computer now... waiting... trying to phone all the tech ppl I know, but you guys are the pros.
[Deleted User]

Comments

• edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited October 2005
    Power off to everything.
    Turn the monitor on, now turn the computer on.
    You get power and drive lights right?
    Do you get any 'beeps'?
    Does your monitor think that it is getting a signal?
    You may need to slave your hard drive into another machine to retrieve you pictures.

It sounds like you may have mobo issues. How good are you with hardware work?
    This could take some trouble shooting.
  • edited October 2005
    Thanks for the reply, I am not good with hardware, when I do all that I still get fans turning, light on mobo comes on, but monitor sees nothing, mouse does not recieve power and neither does keyboard. I have reseated everything and that about uses up my hardware ability... pathetic, I know. So off we go this morning so I can beg my computer supplier to save my sorry a$$ because I have no clue how to fix it and I have two weddings on my HD that seriously need saving... I think I backed them up on my external two days ago though... we'll see.

Thanks anyway, I will post the answer to my problems when I find out, just to help anyone else with this problem.
  • edited November 2005
    My desktop did a similar thing a few months back, but bleeped intermitantly(possibly spelt wrong) I switched the power supply off, unpluged it, waited about 5 mins pluged it back in and switched it back on then held the on/off button for about 5 secs. It reset and had no probs since. It worked for me but doesn't mean it will work on any other computer! Worth a try though.
  • edited January 2006
    I have a similar problem: when I turn the PC on, hard disk is working, no power to monitor (does'nt turn green), no power to keyboard, and probably no power to mouse too. I don't hear beeping sound. Is this a motherboard issue? I'm thinking of buying a motherboard if I can confirm that this has something to do with the motherboard. Appreciate any help. Thanks.
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited January 2006
    d1g1t8 wrote:
    I have a similar problem: when I turn the PC on, hard disk is working, no power to monitor (does'nt turn green), no power to keyboard, and probably no power to mouse too. I don't hear beeping sound. Is this a motherboard issue? I'm thinking of buying a motherboard if I can confirm that this has something to do with the motherboard. Appreciate any help. Thanks.

With what your describing it could be mobo, PSU etc. have you changed anything recently? Can you tell if your fans are spinning up?

Could you also list your system specs?
  • edited January 2006
    I didn't change anything, nor did I move it. It was working fine when it just powered off by itself and couldn't power it back on ever since. Fans are spinning up. I can open/close the cd rom. I tried changing the battery on
    the motherboard but it has no effect at all.

It's a Compaq presario 5000, with Windows Me and Intel Penitum III. No idea on the RAM and hard disk specs though.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited January 2006
    You could try resetting the BIOS. :)
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    I have reseated everything and that about uses up my hardware ability... pathetic, I know
    Pathetic, no. Guess how most of us hardware 'gurus' started out? You've gotta start somewhere! We'll work with you all you want. In the future, you will be building all your own machines. :cool:
  • edited January 2008
    I have an identical issue. Would you mind guiding me in narrowing down if the motherboard is trash or cpu or ... ? Current status: I have an ASUS P5LD2-VM motherboard and for some reason when I went to turn it on the other day, nothing seemed to function. After verifying all connections, I replaced the power supply with a ThermalTake 600, more than enough power. CPU fan spins, hard drive spins, green light on motherboard lights. But, no beeps and no power to keyboard or monitor. I have reset the CMOS as direced in the manual. - no difference. What is the next logical test to narrow down motherboard or cpu or ...? Thank you
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited January 2008
    Well, you need a duplicate system just about to test if it's the CPU or Motherboard.

I can give you one way to find out if it's the CPU or not. IF the fans stay spinning, it's not the CPU.
  • edited January 2008
    Since the fans continue to spin, I will assume that it is just the mobo. Thank you. Now I won't feel bad about ordering another mobo without cpu. Thanks again.
  • Jelly-BeanJelly-Bean Swansea,WALES,UK
    edited January 2008
    How about the power cable from wall to computer?
    Check the fuse or try a spare cable if you have one.Try the simple things first.
  • HarudathHarudath Great Britain Icrontian
    edited January 2008
    Leonardo wrote:
    Pathetic, no. Guess how most of us hardware 'gurus' started out? You've gotta start somewhere! We'll work with you all you want. In the future, you will be building all your own machines. :cool:

If they can put up with me, they can put up with anything
  • edited August 2008
    Hi, everyone I have the almost extact problem as all of you but I have replaced my mobo and I still get no power signal to monitor and no power to keyboard, mouse. I have been trying to fix this for about a month now off and on, on my own and still no luck anyone got any ideas that I have missed to try. I get a green light on the motherboard, all fans come on, sounds like it power ups all right but I get nothing of a beep code can't remember if I supposed to.

What I have tried is reseting everything, taking everything out and puting back in, tried using monitor, keyboard, mouse on other systems they work fine. Also tried using video card on another comp worked fine, tried powering the system on/off several times to no affect. I have tried different power supplies still nothing. I have even tried puting parts in piece by piece and powering it up still nothing on monitor, keyboard, mouse, I hope I gave you all enough info on whats going on with it. Please anyone help me

Specs:
    Asus P5N-D Nvidia nForce 750i SLI
    Nvidia Geforce 8800 GT 512mb
    Intel Duo-Core pin 775
    4 gigs of ram DDR2
    Sound Blaster sound card
    600 Watt Power Supply
    Op: Windows Vista Ultimate 64 Bit

G15 KeyBoard
    G5 Mouse
    22in. ViewSonic Moniter
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited August 2008
    Is everything plugged into the motherboard, like POWER and stuff?
  • edited August 2008
    I got everything plugged in correctly as far as I know I buildet this pc my self I guess I double check everything but I'm posative I got everything in right.
  • edited January 2011
    hi, i know this is an old thread, but it is one of the first that showed up when i searched for a solution.. i had the same problem as the ones above - no response from monitor, mouse or keyboard.

This is what worked for me
    I had 8 gb ram installed - 4x 2gb, i removed 2 of the bricks and tried to boot and it worked. then just put the others back in. and boot again - try it, mabe it works for you too :)
  • edited March 2011
    Hi all, it seems that i have had a similar problem, I took the time earlier today and cleaned the interior of my PC. After powering it up, I noticed that there was no supply of power to the mouse and keyboard, also the monitor displayed that it was not receiving a signal from the video card. There was NO beeping of the motherboard that is common with detecting problems. My initial response was to check the the exterior and interior connections, when they checked out I turned to the net. I came across Matsg's post and followed his suggestion, removing my ram from the PC and starting it up. The mobo was now giving out the troubled beeping, I reinserted the ram and the PC started flawlessly. Thanks for the helpful advice Matsg and hope this will help others
  • edited May 2011
    I'm experiencing a similar problem. I tried to install a dvd rw drive to a system that I had received from a friend. After installing the dvd drive and powering on the pc, I had received the following messgae from Windows XP: "Incompatible ATAPI device"
    I had pressed [OK] then decided to restart the pc. After restarting the pc, the monitor screen was black and the power light was yellow.

My system has been this way ever since the attempted installation. I have noticed that there is no keyboard or mouse and the screen is black. The fans work and all of the lights on the mobo are green. I cannot seem to solve this problem. I just tried to remove the RAM sticks and boot as suggested above and I the mobo beeped. I reinstalled the sticks and booted the pc but still there is no keyboard, mouse or monitor.

Any suggestions?
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited May 2011
    Check all of your power connections, unplug the drive, see if it resolves. If it does, there is something wrong with the drive or your PSU/grounding.
  • edited May 2011
    I been having a problem receiving a boot error message with my computer.. I found something on a site telling me to remove the CMOS battery and reinstalling in my motherboard (asus p5ld2). After doing this I get a bock screen with no power to my keyboard.... Any ideas????
  • edited July 2011
    Hi all, it seems that i have had a similar problem, I took the time earlier today and cleaned the interior of my PC. After powering it up, I noticed that there was no supply of power to the mouse and keyboard, also the monitor displayed that it was not receiving a signal from the video card. There was NO beeping of the motherboard that is common with detecting problems. My initial response was to check the the exterior and interior connections, when they checked out I turned to the net. I came across Matsg's post and followed his suggestion, removing my ram from the PC and starting it up. The mobo was now giving out the troubled beeping, I reinserted the ram and the PC started flawlessly. Thanks for the helpful advice Matsg and hope this will help others

I had followed the same steps as stated in the above statement and found the the computer would in fact start up correctly again but with only the orginal ram blocks being used. Now the tower starts up as normal but have lost 2gb of ram. Is it anyone's thought that the ram blocks went bad all at once or is it an underlying problem causing this action. I have hammer and screwdriver ready to go to work on it. Thanks Lots for any Help!
  • edited August 2011
    WORKED FOR ME #3

Same problem, no monitor, mouse, keyboard or any other peripherals. Tried many cold starts and tinkering with wires. Then I removed 2 sticks of ram of my 4 total (2gbx4 sticks) and the computer fired up just fine...Not very happy about loosing 4Gb of RAM as I use this computer for gaming so I am going to perform shutdown and try installing the sticks again.

UPDATE: BEST COMPUTER PROBLEM I've probably had, I learned something out of it and didn't have to replace any parts!

MOBO had me worried for a few seconds but I replaced the same RAM in the same location and fired up the machine and all is working as it should in great condition! YAY!
  • edited September 2011
    I've been having this issue for the last 2 months. Unfortunately, I've been so busy, any tinkering I can do is sporadic. I think when I get home tonight I'll try booting my PC with no DIMMS in it, then seat them in one at a time.

My PC:

ASUS P6T Deluxe
    i7 940
    EVGA GTX 480
    Corsair 1000w psu
    Corsair 6G (2x3) 1333MHz

I hope this works because I've been without gaming on my PC for too long. :(
  • edited October 2011
    i have the same problem it all started when i took out my dvd drive but i replaced it and now i have no screen no keyboard mouse all it does is go in to sleep mode i have cleaned it unplugged it i have tested screen and cable on another pc and it works fine so what am i missing why is it in sleep mode please help i have all so tryed it without ram i got the beap but no screen or monitor or keyboard i then put ram back no beap but still no screen monitor or keyboard i dont know what else to try can any one help me please
    <config>Windows 7 / Firefox 7.0.1</config>
  • KiwiMutantKiwiMutant Dannevirke, New Zealand
    edited December 2011
    pete84 wrote:
    I had followed the same steps as stated in the above statement and found the the computer would in fact start up correctly again but with only the orginal ram blocks being used. Now the tower starts up as normal but have lost 2gb of ram. Is it anyone's thought that the ram blocks went bad all at once or is it an underlying problem causing this action. I have hammer and screwdriver ready to go to work on it. Thanks Lots for any Help!

Check the specs of the mobo. Is poss that one of the two banks of slots may take different ram from the other, or I have noticed on some boards to run all four slots 1 & 2 can be DS (double sided) and 3 & 4 need to be SS or some other such combo.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited December 2011
    I have literally never heard of a motherboard that you are supposed to use "different" RAM in different slots, but if you have an example, I'd be glad to see it. More than likely he either had a stick go bad/damaged it or the stick isn't in all the way. It is "easy" to damage RAM when poking around your PC "cleaning" ... who knows what was being used to clean, etc.
    edited December 2011
    I was recently given a computer. Gigabyte GA- 7N400 Pro 2 motherboard with AMD Athlon CPU. Had 430w power supply but swapped for 350w from another comp. Had variety of cards : SPDIF, TV, etc. Has no onboard graphics so have installed Geforce FX5200 so can attach monitor. Had no Ram so put in 2 x DDR 400 512mb as per mobo specs. Had no HDD and replaced a faulty DVD RW drive. Removed heatsink. cleaned and reset with new ArcticSilver 5. Cleared CMOS and Bios. Have detached all PCI cards except FX5200. When power on fans run so CPU is good. There are no beeps. Have usb optical mouse which lights up but no keyboard, either usb or ps2, and no monitor so can't access bios. Have tried the ramless boot but no luck. If perhaps this thread is still running does anyone have a suggestion please?
    edited December 2011
    Tushon wrote:
    I have literally never heard of a motherboard that you are supposed to use "different" RAM in different slots, but if you have an example, I'd be glad to see it. More than likely he either had a stick go bad/damaged it or the stick isn't in all the way. It is "easy" to damage RAM when poking around your PC "cleaning" ... who knows what was being used to clean, etc.

Sorry I may be seeing things incorrectly as I have only learned by messing with computers but I have an ASUS P5VDC mother board which has two DDR slots and two DDR2 slots which cannot be run simultaneously.
    edited December 2011
    The mobo with the D/S and S/S pairing is the aforementioned GA-7N400.