was this ever in half life 2?

tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
edited November 2005 in Gaming
not sure if this has been discussed before or not, but I don't recall this part of the game ever being in half life 2. I've played through the whole game 2 or 3 times. i wonder if its a screenshot from the beta version. anyway here it is

http://bonusweb.idnes.cz/obrazek.html?obrazek=half_life2_mayscr01.jpg

Comments

• edited November 2005
    Don't think so.
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited November 2005
    I remember the art in an article somewhere (Maximum PC? PC Mag?), but I don't remember it in the game. If I remember the article correctly, they also mentioned that it was concept art.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    never saw that. played the game three times through.
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited November 2005
    it looks like its actual game play
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    Still a concept idea to have something cool in a magazine :D
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    maybe from the expansion?
  • tcithtcith Sydney, Australia Member
    edited November 2005
    tmh88 wrote:
    not sure if this has been discussed before or not, but I don't recall this part of the game ever being in half life 2. I've played through the whole game 2 or 3 times. i wonder if its a screenshot from the beta version. anyway here it is

http://bonusweb.idnes.cz/obrazek.html?obrazek=half_life2_mayscr01.jpg

The thread about the Hyda can be found here on Steams forums

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=233470&highlight=tenticle
  • SquillSquill Chesterfield, Va
    edited November 2005
    What happened, someone developed the art and physics for that creature but when they tried to auctually put it in the game they had a major problem with it. They said it was to hard to fight. They said it was no fun at all to fight. I got alittle concept book with my collectors edition of HL2 that I bought in the store and thats what they said about it.
  • QeldromaQeldroma Arid ZoneAh Member
    edited November 2005
    Yeah. And it would have been especially hard to fight if all you have is the 9mm shown :p .

;D
  • tcithtcith Sydney, Australia Member
    edited November 2005
    Squill wrote:
    What happened, someone developed the art and physics for that creature but when they tried to auctually put it in the game they had a major problem with it. They said it was to hard to fight. They said it was no fun at all to fight. I got alittle concept book with my collectors edition of HL2 that I bought in the store and thats what they said about it.

Correct in "Raising the bar" they said:

"However, the closer it got to being done, the more its fatal flaw was becoming clear: it was amazingly cool to watch it fight other characters, but it was zero fun to play against in first-person. When it attacked others, as the player you could see this great big glowing giant worm snaking through the map, knocking stuff over and putting on a great show, but when it attacked you, the player, you'd just see this non-descript blob doing something vague, then you'd be dead. Cutting it was personally very painful, but i had to do it; when a design just isn't working, it just isn't working. I'd still like to see this in the Half-Life universe somewhere, maybe rethink its AI more along the lines of an Antlion." - Ken Birdwell.