ATI Ships the Fastest Graphics Processor on the Planet'1'

Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
edited November 2005 in Hardware
Well if this isn't a quite launch I don't know what is :)

Nvidia 7800GTX 512 will Pawn this card!

http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/business/article.adp?id=20051109115209990011

Comments

• GobblesGobbles Ventura California
    edited November 2005
    its a paper launch. I dont think those cards will actually be available for some time. ATI is having issues keeping up with nvidia performance wise. sad really.
  • edited November 2005
    Gobbles wrote:
    its a paper launch. I dont think those cards will actually be available for some time. ATI is having issues keeping up with nvidia performance wise. sad really.

Exactly.

Which is why I question everyone who voted for ATI.

Maybe some midunderstood and just voted for what they had?
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    yeah! Maybe! but actually the X1800;s are showing up here and there but in case of 20. now how fast do you think newegg will sell 20 of those cards. .00000002 sec's
    edited November 2005
    I like this quote in the small print!

'1' The Radeon X1800 XT is the fastest graphics processor (GPU) on the planet as demonstrated by its performance running benchmarks such as 3DMark05 (9013 3DMarks at shipping clock speeds) as well as its engine clock speed (625MHz), the highest engine clock speed on any available GPU.

so they compared it to the Nvidia refference card and not a BFG or EVGA card ! punks it is always hidden behind the small print
    edited November 2005
    yeah! Maybe! but actually the X1800;s are showing up here and there but in case of 20. now how fast do you think newegg will sell 20 of those cards. .00000002 sec's

Their performance from what I have seen is not an nvidia killer. HardOCP's review of the card show pretty much the 7800gtx running frame for frame, and generally better than the ati all around. ATI lost it after the 9800pro and its gonna be a while before they get it back till then Nvidia is once again king of the hill.

Why wait for the hard to find ati card which does not perform on par with the readily available 7800gtx. Seems to me buying ati in this point in time is a foolish waste of money. With crossfire sucking ass compared to sli and ati's price/performance sucking ass, id be hard pressed to buy or recommend an ati card now.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited November 2005
    ...so they compared it to the Nvidia refference card and not a BFG or EVGA card ! punks it is always hidden behind the small print

Why would they compare it to an 'overclocked or tweaked' version. Reference card compared to reference card seems fair to me.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited November 2005
    This is not directed to you Sledgehammer, but why is everyone so hard on ATI? They make great products, and stand behind them. It is almost as if everyone wants a single company monopoly in the 3D accelerator market. Isn't some competition good? Wouldn't you like some choice? Frankly, I'd love to see more companies in the game. The release of the radeon 9700 totally rocked anything nvidia had to offer. The 9800xt was also clearly a better card than the fx5950. Now, the tables have turned, and it's nvidias turn to be on top. It seems like a normal thing to me, and it happens in any category of hardware. I don't know, it just seems like people are so one sided when it comes to video cards. Its like boycotting any compay that does not have the fastest graphics card on the market, or if they are late to market :confused:
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2005
    its a paper launch.
    Not only that, the link is more or less an ATI press release. Yeah, those scientific marketing guys who really want to get the truth out.

Frankly, I really don't care who ships the fastest card. If it costs more than $150, it is irrelevant to me. Now, say it with me, " o v e r k i l l ". :D

[EDIT] Hmm, there is one very big benefit of the adoption of new generation, ultra expensive video cards: it creates a nifty second hand market for very affordable high performing older generation cards. Good thing.
    edited November 2005
    lemonlime wrote:
    This is not directed to you Sledgehammer, but why is everyone so hard on ATI? They make great products, and stand behind them. It is almost as if everyone wants a single company monopoly in the 3D accelerator market. Isn't some competition good? Wouldn't you like some choice? Frankly, I'd love to see more companies in the game. The release of the radeon 9700 totally rocked anything nvidia had to offer. The 9800xt was also clearly a better card than the fx5950. Now, the tables have turned, and it's nvidias turn to be on top. It seems like a normal thing to me, and it happens in any category of hardware. I don't know, it just seems like people are so one sided when it comes to video cards. Its like boycotting any compay that does not have the fastest graphics card on the market, or if they are late to market :confused:

I don't dispute the fact that competition is good but Ati is just not gettin er done. I myself have a 9800xt; it's a great card. It's more like ATI is blowing it. Their crossfire technology has issues, their supposedly highest end card is hardly available and its performance is not what one would expect. Its all about bang for the buck and right now nvidia is pwning.
    edited November 2005
    Its all about bang for the buck and right now nvidia is pwning.
    "Bang for the buck" - that phrase should not even be used in the context of latest generation video cards. After the cards have been on the market for six months or year, and still play any game well, then the prices start approaching reasonable.

But then, the value of anything is what someone is willing to pay. :rolleyes:
  • ronboronbo Connecticut
    edited November 2005
    lemonlime, I have to agree with you. I, myself always buy Nvidia. But I am glad ATI is there. And I wish there were more graphics card companys out there too. All this does is help us, the end user. If Nvidai were the only ones in the market, they could charge whatever they want and we would have to pay. So all you ATI people please keep buying ATI cards and keep the competition going... ;D;D
    edited November 2005
    Leonardo wrote:
    "Bang for the buck" - that phrase should not even be used in the context of latest generation video cards. After the cards have been on the market for six months or year, and still play any game well, then the prices start approaching reasonable.

But then, the value of anything is what someone is willing to pay. :rolleyes:

ahh but look at the 6800GS which performs almost on par with the 6800GT and its only 200 bucks new which is really cheap and it does sli...
    edited November 2005
    ahh but look at the 6800GS which performs almost on par with the 6800GT and its only 200 bucks new which is really cheap and it does sli...
    You actually are making my point. The GS is not new technology. It's existing parts and technology repackaged into a different format to capture a different niche of the market. Take the top of the line card - let's call it the AtVidI XYZ9999A, which, let's see has been on the market for only two weeks. It may carry a price premium over the XYZ8888A (on the market for six months) by as much as $300 or more. Both those cards will play any game on the market not just well, but very well. Sure, that XYZ9999A model will play all those yet unreleased games better when they come out. When those future games are released though, the 9999A owners will spring for the latest, greatest, obscenely priced 9696GolleeJeeA1. That ~A1 won't play the games noticeably better than the 9999A, until the next generations of games are released in the future...the cycle continues forever.

But thanks to all of you folks who spend several hundred dollars on the latest video cards, the six-to-nine month old generation of cards DO become a good bang for buck.
  • edited November 2005
    I get a laugh out of all the "ATI p0wns Nvdia" and and "Nvidai p0wns ATI" stuff myself. Both have, at times, been the clear performance leader, but presently Nvidia is slightly in the lead, IMO. ATI is at least in the ballpark with the X1800 series though, performance-wise. Availability-wise and price-wise, ATI is getting smoked presently. The comparisons I've read lately (mainly at HardOCP) show that both companies put out gpu's that will give you a good playing experience with decent framerates with the eyecandy turned on too, so whichever one that you prefer is the correct way to go for you.:cool:

Now getting to SLI or Crossfire, I'm making no calls as I haven't messed with either. My gaming needs don't run to spending that frigging much money anyways. But for now at least, Nvidia has been outperforming ATI on delivering the gpu's and their price point is also lower, so Nvidia is generally the way to go unless you run across a deal on an ATI vid card like I did a few months ago.
    edited November 2005
    wow this is getting crazy!

The reason I stand for Nvidia is because I’m not a side switcher, I owned the FX5700 cards and the FX 5950's and was happy with my purchase. sure I wasn't able to gloat than on how good my card was... But is it bad to do so now since at that time I took my beating form the ATI guru's. isn't the saying an Eye for an Eye? I am just very happy with Nvidia and how it is supporting it's cards and games with frequent drivers, and new products.

The 6800 GS is a refresh I believe of the NV43 Chip which wasn't really in production all that long, they actually improved upon it. and added a tid bit more tech to it over the 6800GT. Not new Tech but still a nice new card tp compete with what ATI is trying to roll out.

ATI makes good cards, Nvidia makes good cards, and 3dlabs makes good cards and many others. I just love Nvidia marketing , there characters behind there cards, there undying support along with cutting edge tech in all there new cards... are all those things stuff to not brag about when you drop $1000 on a graphics setup? I think the owner ship comes when we spend the high dollar on this tech we have to find away to defend our positions and find away to tell ourselves why we spent the cash for it.
  • edited November 2005
    I buy what is best at the time for my needs, be it ATI or Nvidia. Both make excellent chipsets, (along with a few bummers too every now and then) and either will make a nice looking picture on your monitor. I also don't lock myself into just AMD or Intel, as both are excellent in their own ways too and if one fits my purpose better than another, so be it. I think blind loyalism to 1 companie's products is just setting yourself up to get screwed, some where down the line. :D
    edited November 2005
    are all those things stuff to not brag about when you drop $1000 on a graphics setup?

but now you can get a decent sli setup for 400 and change. The 6800gs does sli and 200 a card sure beats out many things. I for one would be more than happy to have a rig with 2 of them in sli. (im digressing here) Thanks to nvidia you can now do an sli rig for I bet under 1K
    edited November 2005
    muddocktor wrote:
    I think blind loyalism to 1 companie's products is just setting yourself up to get screwed, some where down the line. :D

I'll agree to disagree! :) you can never set yourself up to disappointment if you just be happy with what they give you. If it is a good price and does the job, isn't that what we are paying for? If I buy these high priced items just to see a 10,000 point mark on 3dmark 05. than Im buying my computer parts for the wrong reasons and I should spend the money on something 1000 times more important. "like my wife" :)

ewww this is a bad thought I was about to do a comparison on how Graphic Cards are like wives.... could have gotten in trouble there.
    edited November 2005
    Gobbles wrote:
    but now you can get a decent sli setup for 400 and change. The 6800gs does sli and 200 a card sure beats out many things. I for one would be more than happy to have a rig with 2 of them in sli. (im digressing here) Thanks to nvidia you can now do an sli rig for I bet under 1K

I already offer 6600 SLI rigs for $850 and with the new 6800GS it is about $975.00
  • edited November 2005
    Yep, I gree that we will diagree on this subject, Sledge. :)

I think being an Nvidiot or AMDroid or Inteloholic or ATI fanboi is just stupid, myself. I think paying $500 for a vid card is crazy too. I will never buy on the "bleeding edge" of anyone's products because I'm not made of money and have other interests besides computing too, like eating and having a house to live in. :D These companies couldn't give 2 hoots in hell about their consumers either; the competition between them is what keeps both relatively honest.

As far as SLI is concerned, I would stil rather buy 1 higher end card than 2 lower end cards myself. With 2 vid cards, you will generally have more heat and power issues than even with 1 high end vid card. And from what I've read at a recent article at Anandtech, the 6800GS in SLI performs at best at a single 7800GTX level. If the price is generally the same (2-6800GS SLI vs 1-7800GTX), the simpler solution is generally better, IMO. Of course, I'm not the big gamer a lot of folks here are too. ;):D
    edited November 2005
    The 7800GTX setup would be more cost efficent, but I would say the dull GC would out perform in time. and heat isn't much an issue with 6800 GS's it was the 6800 Ultras that were fires in the box!