Slipstream Windows Easy

2»

Comments

• mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited April 2005
    I dont what Park did before. I used a disk with several versions of Windows on it, I choose which version and it went on without me asking where to install it. It prolly would have been fine if there was a partition where I wanted the OS to install. O well, live and learn right Park.:)
  • edited April 2005
    Are there any options for disabling features in SP2?
  • MediaManMediaMan Powered by loose parts.
    edited April 2005
    TheSmJ wrote:
    I wonder: Would it be possible to have the just the nForce2's Ethernet driver pre-loaded on the CD as well? I realize it's best to use the latest drivers from the get-go, but without these drivers you cannot download the latest version to begin with, and it’d be nice to have a working driver already installed rather than having to dig out another CD beforehand. Would it just take adding the “nvenetfd.inf” file from nVidia’s decompressed driver package to the “Add Drivers” window (the same place you add the SATA drivers) along with all of the other files found in the \Ethernet\PreNEM\WinXP\ directory of the same package?

Use winrar to extract the nForce2 driver download and then point to the ethernet folder INF file during the process.

You could also probably install the nForce2 drivers this way (or nForce3 or 4)
    edited April 2005
    Are there any options for disabling features in SP2?

Only that you see in the configuration settings.
  • edited April 2005
    Hi,
    Great guide!
    Only 1 problem, when I choose to insert hotfixes, I always get an error with teh dotnet file, (I already tried both files, the original link provided by the guide, and the file someone mentioned earlier in the comments). They both give me an error when integrating the hotfixes. Something about a bad syntax. It tells me to run "command /?" for help. I Any idea why?
    Thanks!
  • edited April 2005
    One more thing,
    About the integration of the WMP10. Every line in the .INF file in the HKCU section follows the same estructure with a "\" after "software".
    Is it ok that the line to be added does not follow the same estructure?

HKCU,"SOFTWAREMicrosoftMediaPlayerPreferences","AcceptedPrivacyStatement",0x00010003,1

Thanks!
    edited April 2005
    Hi,
    Great guide!
    Only 1 problem, when I choose to insert hotfixes, I always get an error with teh dotnet file, (I already tried both files, the original link provided by the guide, and the file someone mentioned earlier in the comments). They both give me an error when integrating the hotfixes. Something about a bad syntax. It tells me to run "command /?" for help. I Any idea why?
    Thanks!

There is a way to slipstream the .NET install file and .NET service packs into one main file but we were not able to find an easy method of slipstreaming .NET into an Windows installation CD.
  • edited April 2005
    Thanks, and I apologize for skipping page 8!
    edited April 2005
    Note of caution:

You can strip too much out of the installation CD so be warned. nLite is very useful for creating slipstreamed discs and partially or fully unattended installation disc.

However,

There is a part of the program where you can remove parts of the OS. You can remove too much even though it appears ok. For example...I stripped out 1/3 of what I thought I didn't need and while the installation went well...and apparently everything was working fine...

Instability with some programs materialized after I spent a couple of hours setting up the entire computer. WMP crashed...the sound card would and wouldn't work. Optical drives lost their drivers. All of these components worked on many clean installs over the last couple of years.

So just be cautious of how much you plan to remove.

:)
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited April 2005
    -->Park:

WinXP likes to use the first drive in BOOT ORDER for temps and such. BOOT ORDER AS IN BIOS. I'm Emphasizing quick and not shouting.....

Check boot order in BIOS, see if you have the IDE Drive booting first, and see if you can get the IDE DRIVE to boot SECOND or LATER, and the RAID First in boot order or second and before the IDE (IDE THIRD, then) if you, like me, keep my systems set to always boot from CD first....

WARNING: (aka "Danger, Will Robinson!") Don't do this if you have a good working XP now and expect XP to boot after change, the boot preloader at least is in the IDE drive and changing boot order changes the Lun and Disk values in the boot values in boot.ini (given RAID now and current boot.ini, you should have a LUN 0 and a Lun 1(RAID), LUN 0 should be IDE). Fix is simple, see if it can be done, try it, if it works your XP should NOT boot. Change it back, write down what you have BEFORE and AFTER you change it if it does this(n/shouting, no time to format this thing). Changing it back leaves XP booting fine, then see if you can fix the install problem by changing it per your notes next time just before you try an install.

(Another story as to why, won't hijack this, but it has to do with my OS studies on more OSs than MS things (which I use too, am posting from Windows in Firebird).
  • edited April 2005
    A very nice piece of software.
    Re. the guide; It won't print correctly (on my HP officejet anyway)
    It clips the right-hand side of all pages quite seriously i.e. I loose several words.

Apart from that, a very useful and easy to follow document.
    Thanks.
  • edited May 2005
    Just one thing and I know I'm being picky sorry old age does that too you. When I tried to print the document off it cut off the right side of the page. I know I could have printed it landscape but I figure hey these guys seem to be fairly smart so I just printed it.
  • edited May 2005
    BURNING BOOT CD HELP!!!

I purchased a copy of Win XP Pro SP1 and have performed the proper slipstream on the data, including the SCSI drivers to avoid the F6(As my server does not have a floppy drive this is excellent!).

I am using an OEM version of Nero 6, but the options to do all the fancy boot cd things listed here are not present, thus I can't make this slipstreamed win xp cd bootable. What can I do? Should I buy the full version or can I download some other app that will make this bootable?

Thanks,
    Andy
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited May 2005
    Andy, I recommend signing up for the forums and posting that in the Windows forum. This isn't a very good thread to try and get troubleshooting help in. It's more for article comment and response. :)
  • edited May 2005
    Where i can download this software?
  • test_tube_tonytest_tube_tony Dallas TX Member
    edited June 2005
    does anyone know how to integrate firefox? lol
    it would be neat if i could have it automatically install.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited June 2005
    Try and use this somehow with a bat file. It's been awhile since I've tried an unattended installation so I probably forgot how to do it.
  • edited November 2005
    When slip-streaming the nForce4_amd_6.70_winxp2k_english\IDE\Win2K\sataraid SATA RAID drivers into Win2000, I get this error message:

Warning!
    If this is NVRAID driver then find NVATABUS.INF file
    in this driver package and copy it in this folder
    before proceeding with ISO creation.

P:\incoming downloads\new\DFI LanParty UT nF4 Ultra-D motherboard\new downloads from nvidia\slipstreamed RAID\sataraid
    OK

Should I be concerned about this? Is it normal?

All the best,
    Nick.
  • edited November 2005
    P.s. there are some backslashes missing from the above post; The forum software seems to eat them; so please wherever you think there should be a backslash, you're probably correct.
  • edited December 2008
    Window installation is not a problem.But after installation window will be corrupted with in few m.month.This is serious problem with window
  • edited June 2009
    I've been trying to use "xp pro sp 0" adding in "sp 3" without any luck. I've been using Nlite for about 7 years now and every major service pack slipstreaming has workered out nicely. In fact I probably have made 6 or 7 versions of sp 2. All instal and work beautifully for years now. but after 10 tries with sp 3 I cannot get a full installation . It seems that every disk stops at [i'm guessing now, I stumbled upon this forum not prepared] mscrt.dll is missing and even if I try and pop in a previous disk to copy this file it fails. If I skip it the install will fail. Tried just acout every angle of simple program usage just sp 3 added/no extras, to unattended and even added drivers but for some reason I get the same outcome? Anyone else having this problem?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    Zinda, try using the updated guide linked at the beginning of the article: http://icrontic.com/articles/slipstream_windows_xp
  • edited July 2009
    I dont know why the windows corrupted after some days. Should I be concerned about this? Is it normal?
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Not normal... there are a ton of reasons as to why Windows becomes corrupt. Hardware issues, drivers, infected with nasties, corrupt patch, accidental system file deletion, to just abrupt power loss/ hard reset. Please create a new thread if you need help troubleshooting your issues. Oh and Welcome to Icrontic. ;)
  • edited August 2009
    It would be handy to have this tutorial available as a pdf as well.. so it could be accessible ebven if one is not connected on the net.. The owner can consider this suggestion..
  • edited December 2009
    some times window show a blue screen and windows become currupt. Can any body tell the reason and solution
  • Yoz
    edited September 2010
    Excellent!!! Many Thanks. Worked first time... WinXPproOEM + SP3 + Intel ICH-9 EHCI SATA "F6" driver. Installed on eMachines E520 laptop (no FDD). Went straight in no probz. I watched amazed as it started up and didn't BSOD. Superb app, Thanks again. Its Fantastic, Doddle to use, Mint!
  • edited October 2010
    Guys,

after a week of nerve wrecking search:

YOU R MY HEROES !!!

thx

mike
  • edited February 2011
    I am trying to write xp onto a toshibe satellite L45 that had vista home pre before crashing. Hate Vista!! I keep getting a error when getting ready to install xp saying it cant see my sata hard drive. HELP Please!!!