Less Fans = Lower Temps! :D

tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
edited December 2005 in Hardware
A couple days ago I was doing a little cleaing in my case and I guess I accidentally unplgged 2 out of my 3 case fans and I didnt notice until about an hour or 2 later. My computer runs somewhat cool usually (idle around 38-40*C , full load no more than 48*C even folding). Anyway I check my cpu temps about once an hour out of habit, and I noticed that they were really low. Strange.....my room was very warm because the heater was on because well its winter! Anyway it turns out that unplugging those 2 fans caused my pc's temps to drop to aroune 32-34*C idle, and never over 40 under full load.

I got a 2 for one deal. Not only lower temps, but also its much quieter. Any idea what could have caused this drop?

My setup : AMD 64 3200+, 1 gig corsair, x800xl, k8vse deluxe P.O.S. mobo. I have 3 case fans. An 80mm on top of my case blowing air out, a 120mm on the back blowing air out, and currently the only fan thats turned on is an 80mm fan directly over my cpu blowing in the case. I guess I had some trapped air or something. anybody ever experience something like this before?

Comments

• edited December 2005
    The 2 fans you unplugged must have been causing dead air in the case and by them not being plugged in it cleaned up the airflow.
  • tmh88tmh88 Pittsburgh / Athens, OH
    edited December 2005
    yea that was my guess....or something like it :D
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    I'd say Madmat is correct. Directed airflow is just as important as volume of flow. I've got two little Antec Super Lanboy cases (Systems 2 and 3 in signature). Both of them have whisper quiet 120mm intake and exhaust fans and cool just as well or better than larger cases mulitple fans pumping large volumes of air.
  • edited December 2005
    They were probably just blowing hot air around, the circulation was probably a bit askew.