my lord of the rings, battle for middle earth won't work

edited June 2011 in Gaming
I have installed the game onto my pc, but when i try to load(start) the game it doesnt work :confused:

EDITOR NOTE:

Here is a quick summary of possible solutions:

1) Update your video drivers to the latest version.
AMD
NVIDIA
INTEL

2) Try this:
This fix is VERY difficult, but it works 100%.
For those who are working on screens bigger than 1280 x 960:
MUST HAVE FOLDER OPTIONS SET TO SHOW HIDDEN FILES
Navigate:
C:>Users>[login name]>AppData>Roaming>My Battle for Middle-earth (1, 2 or expansion) files

Now make a new .txt doc named options and enter this into it:
AudioLOD = High
HasSeenLogoMovies = yes
IdealStaticGameLOD = High
Resolution = 1024 768
StaticGameLOD = High
TimesInGame = 5
and save as options.ini
Then delete the .txt document and keep the new .ini

3) If you have a pirate copy of the game, this is why it's not working. Buy Battle for Middle Earth on Amazon.

<iframe src="http://rcm.amazon.com/e/cm?t=icrontic-20&o=1&p=20&l=ur1&category=videogames&banner=1G3GV8H6WKRG674Y29R2&f=ifr&quot; width="120" height="90" scrolling="no" border="0" marginwidth="0" style="border:none;" frameborder="0"></iframe>

Comments

• NecropolisNecropolis Hawarden, Wales Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    Moved to the Gaming section as it is not an Emergency. :thumbsup:

Welcome to the forums :D
  • deicistdeicist Manchester, UK
    edited December 2005
    A bit more information would be helpful, do you egt any error messages? What's the exact sequence of events when you try to start the game (ie: do you see the EAGames logo or whatever then it crashes back to the desktop, does the screen go black? etc..) What are your system specifications? (ie: what processor, graphics card do you have, how much memory do you have) this sort of information will help troubleshoot your problem a lot more effectively than 'it doesn't work'. As a starting point make sure you have the latest drivers for your system, and the latest version of DirectX, but other than that I can't offer any more specific advice without more information.
  • RiddickRiddick Malaysia Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    try installing the latest video card drivers as well as directX version? that usually does the trick when i cant start my games ;)
  • edited December 2005
    Thank-you, when i start to load the game the first screen that says "lord of the rings" appears but then crashes to the desktop again and comes up with "game.dat has encountered a problem and needs to close?"
    edited December 2005
    it could be your sound card driver or your video driver or your motherboard drivers at fault. Update all your drivers to the latest versions and see if that helps.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    EA Game right? Do you have an ATi card? I swear I had that same issue with my ATi card with almost every EA game I had until I got an NVidia card.

Just curious
  • edited December 2005
    Thanks i will try that :thumbsup:
  • edited December 2005
    How do i get a "NVidia card"??
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    Erm, nVidia are a company that make graphics cards (mainly the "GeForce" range). To get an "nVidia card" you er... buy an nVidia card, heh.
    edited December 2005
    to find out what graphics card you have:

right click on a blank section of your desktop.

from the menu that appears select 'properties'

in the box that appears there are 5 'tabs'. Themes, desktop etc... the last one is 'settings'. Click that.

on the screen now you should have a picture of a monitor and under that, where it sats Display: it should give you some information about your display. For example mine says:

"Default Monitor on Intel(r) GM graphics controller'

post what yours says and we'll see what that gets us :)
  • edited December 2005
    ok mine says "LGstudioWorks/flatronLCD 570LS on NVIDIA Geforce 2 MX 100/200?
    edited December 2005
    That's quite an old graphics card and I suspect, although I'd have to check, that it just plain won't run that game.

edit: well I've had a look on the official site for the game and I can't find the system specs. I strongly suspect that your video card simply isn't capable of supporting a feature that this game requires, although I could be wrong. If you've updated all your drivers and still get the same error I'm 95% sure that's where the problem lies.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    Yeah I doubt even if it is supported it would run well at all... just too old and slow for a game like Battle for Middle Earth which I would guess is pretty heavy on the system.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    Needs to be a 5200 or better! you can find 5200 for about 35 bucks here and there....

Not to advertise but LOTR BFME is my main game I runa tournamernt site for the game. Feel free to ask community guys there as they may have had the same issues as you are having now! this section might help you..

http://www.bttournaments.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=41
  • triliniumtrilinium Auckland, New Zealand!
    edited December 2005
    Yeah, the GPU is too old. I would suggest going out and buying a nVidia GeForce 5700 or higher, you can pick the 5700's up for around $80-100US... and if you want you could splurge (alot) on a 7800GTX
    edited December 2005
    trilinium wrote:
    Yeah, the GPU is too old. I would suggest going out and buying a nVidia GeForce 5700 or higher, you can pick the 5700's up for around $80-100US... and if you want you could splurge (alot) on a 7800GTX

Not really. I'm betting his current card is an AGP model and, as far as I know, you can't get 7800 series cards in AGP.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    Worst case scenario is that card is actually a built in chip and he doesn't even have an AGP slot... that system sounds very old and he may have other issues as well as the graphics.

What processor do you have and how much RAM?
  • edited December 2005
    deicist wrote:
    to find out what graphics card you have:

right click on a blank section of your desktop.

from the menu that appears select 'properties'

in the box that appears there are 5 'tabs'. Themes, desktop etc... the last one is 'settings'. Click that.

on the screen now you should have a picture of a monitor and under that, where it sats Display: it should give you some information about your display. For example mine says:

"Default Monitor on Intel(r) GM graphics controller'

post what yours says and we'll see what that gets us :)
    s3 graphics pro savage ddr
    edited December 2005
    diana736 wrote:
    s3 graphics pro savage ddr

Sorry, that won't run this game either.
  • edited January 2006
    Hi
    i have LOTR battle for middle earth but when i try to go online it trys top update patches or somethign and it wont download. Could somebody help me ?

Thanks
    edited January 2006
    deereboy wrote:
    Hi
    i have LOTR battle for middle earth but when i try to go online it trys top update patches or somethign and it wont download. Could somebody help me ?

Thanks

Head over to www.Nvidia.com and go to the Nzone under downloads the new patches are listed there! you must have the newest patches to log online "patch1.02" patch 1.03 is riolling out by the end of next week!
  • edited January 2006
    Thank you for the patches i have downloaded the patches and installed them, now i have another problem, when i try to go online i have to register. When i register i use my acoount but it saids that my registration key is already in use. Now not that long ago i rebooted windows so the system was blank. I have reinstalled LOTR BFME but i cant get past the registry bit. This is causing me a lot of announce, as i paid for the game and im not allowed to go back online:mad:
    Has anybody got any advice?
    Josh
    edited January 2006
    THis is a normal error within BFME, EA's tracking system is a bit out of kilter.... check your PM I had EA give me something that might help you...
  • azyazy
    edited February 2006
    I am having the exact same problem as deereboy. I installed the game but my computer needed rebooting after. When i tried installing it again I couldnt get past the serial key part b/c they kept saying my cd key was already beig used >.<. Is there anything I could do sledgehammer or anyone else? BTW I'm new
  • edited February 2006
    Hi
    i have sorted out the problem, thanks to sledgehammer 70 pm him priviately and he might be able to help u.

Josh
  • edited February 2006
    Hey Deereboy, can you share the wealth. I've been pissed off by EA for several months because the last patch they released caused this same issue for me.

I really would like to know how to solve this problem. Can you send me a PM about it?

Thanks.

Doro
    deereboy wrote:
    Hi
    i have sorted out the problem, thanks to sledgehammer 70 pm him priviately and he might be able to help u.

Josh
  • edited February 2006
    Hey Sledgehammer 70, can you share the wealth. I've been pissed off by EA for several months because the last patch they released caused this same issue for me.

I really would like to know how to solve this problem. Can you send me a PM about it?

Thanks.

Doro
  • edited October 2006
    I previously had battle for middle earth 1 and 2 installed but recently had to format my PC, wen i now try to start either game an error message comes up saying
    " Please make sure you have directx 9.0 or higher installed. Also verify your video card makes minimum requirments, and that you do not have hardware acceleration disabled in display control panel."
    I installed directx 9.0 but the games still arent working im thinking formatting hasnt given me all the files need such as a video card any idea how i can fix this problem ?
  • edited November 2006
    I NEED HELP!!!!!!! I've been trying to register my game but it keeps on saying that my registration code has already been used. first off, what's that supposed to mean, and how do i fix it so i can get to playing the game online?
    forgive me for asking the same question but reading all the other replies was unhelpful because i don't know what PM means. I am desperate and angry, and would love any help you have to offer.
    edited November 2006
    I previously had battle for middle earth 1 and 2 installed but recently had to format my PC, wen i now try to start either game an error message comes up saying
    " Please make sure you have directx 9.0 or higher installed. Also verify your video card makes minimum requirments, and that you do not have hardware acceleration disabled in display control panel."
    I installed directx 9.0 but the games still arent working im thinking formatting hasnt given me all the files need such as a video card any idea how i can fix this problem ?
    You may have installed DX9 but is it the current DX9? also what Graphic drivers are you running if any?

If you can provide your PC specs that could help to, as you might not have a graphics card that supports DX9