LCD question

MountainDewMountainDew Kentwood, MI
edited December 2005 in Hardware
i just bought a LG flatron L1920P lcd monitor and i have a question.

ive noticed when the screen is black or dark, there is a protrusion of light on the top and bottom of the viewing area. on occasion it goes away, but 90% of the time its there.

im wondering if this is a defect or if it is standard with lcd displays, or if maybe there are settings i can change to correct it

thanks

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    It would appear you've got bleedover from the backlight. No, it is not the norm. There are some series of monitors that will show the backlighting even with a black screen, rather, a screen that should be black. Defect? Probably. If all the monitors in that series have that problem, then it would be a design flaw. I'd take it back where you bought if you are still in the time window for returns.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited December 2005
    My Viewsonic bleeds brightly from all 4 corners and my brothers bleeds mainly from the bottom left corner. It's normally something that is to be expected with LCDs, just like dead pixels and such as the technology is far from perfect, or even great at this point in time.
  • MountainDewMountainDew Kentwood, MI
    edited December 2005
    ah bleed over! once i found that keyword i could google some answers. its apparently a fairly common problem, but im going to try replacing or perhaps getting a different model. the frustrating thing is that it only bleeds after its been on for 15 minutes or so. i guess when it "warms up".
    edited December 2005
    Yeah, it's simply the backlight. It's rather pointless getting a replacement of the same model when you'll have to go through the effort of sending it all back and you'll get one exactly the same back, it's just another imperfection of LCDs.
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited December 2005
    I've heard of this but haven't seen it. I have two Iiyama TFTs, no bleed or dead pixels.
  • rykoryko new york
    edited December 2005
    gotta say the same as bothered...got 2 samsung lcds (170t and 171v) and neither have the backlight bleed through problem nor dead pixels.
    edited December 2005
    luckily, i bought this at best buy, and today i returned it for another one.

i looked at the display model at the store and could not find the problem mine had, so i hoped it was just a fluke...

...turns out, its not. my new screen is darn near the same bleed-wise:rolleyes2

now i have to decide if i want to bother getting a new one, they stopped carrying veiwsonic and other good brands...

i guess ill see if it really bugs me or makes a difference, i have 14 days to decide

oh, i might as well ask, could this be caused at all by magnets from other crts? i have one above it and one to the side
    edited December 2005
    Mine is a Viewsonic btw, so changing brands doesn't always help.

Hell, most peoples eyesight isn't GOOD enough to see these things. I can watch ghosting while other people are completely oblivious to it.
    edited December 2005
    Enverex wrote:
    Hell, most peoples eyesight isn't GOOD enough to see these things. I can watch ghosting while other people are completely oblivious to it.

I totally agree

I'm very much a perfectionist and even a minuscule flaw really irritates me.
    I would order one online since both selection and price are much better, but if i get a subpar product, its much more trouble than driving to the store to return it.
  • NosferatuNosferatu Arizona
    edited December 2005
    MountainDew, I'm the same way. I have a Dell 2001FP 21" with no dead pixels or backlight bleeding, I wouldn't accept anything less it would be too aggrivating that I paid for something defective. I know the 2005FPW 21" Widescreen model had really bad issues with backlight bleeding when it came out and Dell took over 6 months to get the problem fixed, i'm not 100% sure it's fixed now even...
    edited December 2005
    what really gets me is its only after its on for a while. as im typing this, i just got home, and it had been on standby for a couple hours. the picture is perfect right now. but come 15 minutes, itll be back.

bah!