3800 x2 Finally up and running ... first OC

croc_croc_ New
edited January 2006 in Hardware
Well after a bunch of problems over the past month with various parts, I finally got my system up and running.

I just popped in my new G.Skill F1-4000USU2-2GBHZ (2x1GB PC4000) ram and started to OC a little.

I *think* my limit on this cpu is 2.6GHz, I haven't pushed the vcore much though.

My goal is 2.75 GHz with the ram 1:1. I have seen this ram do 275MHz at the timings I am using now .... so hopefully the cpu can manage.

I haven't even started with the 7800, I don't even know what the stock settings are on this thing.

Comments

• croc_croc_ New
    edited January 2006
    Final settings for now, dual prime stable for 2 hours. Game and benchmark stable. I need to do more prime testing, but so far so good.

All temps are under 50c full load for an extended period.

Overclocked my BFG 7800 GTX OC 256 to 500MHz core and 1350MHz memory.

My final OC settings:
    group.png

Some quick benchmarks:
    aquamark.jpg
    3Dmark05.jpg
  • edited January 2006
    Very nice results, CPU-Z looks to be showing that you've got a bit of voltage droop under load. Bear in mind a little fact I've recently learned, if you're heavily over-volting the Vdimm on your A64 with the Vcore at stock the voltage differential can burn out the memory controller on the CPU.

Since I have no idea what you're running the Vdimm at I just thought I'd throw that word of warning out there so you don't fall into that situation.

Oops, just looked, the Vdimm is at 2.76v, you're fine then :)
  • croc_croc_ New
    edited January 2006
    madmat wrote:
    Bear in mind a little fact I've recently learned, if you're heavily over-volting the Vdimm on your A64 with the Vcore at stock the voltage differential can burn out the memory controller on the CPU.

Since I have no idea what you're running the Vdimm at I just thought I'd throw that word of warning out there so you don't fall into that situation.

Oops, just looked, the Vdimm is at 2.76v, you're fine then :)

Yeah I did mucho research before I started o/cing this stuff.

Actually I am at 1.4v in the bios for vcore, I think I am getting a bit of overvolting, or just misreadings between SG and CPUZ. That shot was taken with no load on the cpu. :scratch: I don't mind a little overvolting though, much better than drooping (stupid P4C800E DLX :mad2: )
  • edited January 2006
    croc_ wrote:
    Yeah I did mucho research before I started o/cing this stuff.

Actually I am at 1.4v in the bios for vcore, I think I am getting a bit of overvolting, or just misreadings between SG and CPUZ. That shot was taken with no load on the cpu. :scratch: I don't mind a little overvolting though, much better than drooping (stupid P4C800E DLX :mad2: )

Sadly drooping is a failing of all the i875P mobos I've read about and used...
  • croc_croc_ New
    edited January 2006
    madmat wrote:
    Sadly drooping is a failing of all the i875P mobos I've read about and used...

Yeah, even after I droop modded mine I still got a little droop.

Ok off to bed, work in 5 hours. Time to dual prime this bad boy for 12 hours.
  • deicistdeicist Manchester, UK
    edited January 2006
    croc_ wrote:
    Yeah, even after I droop modded mine I still got a little droop.

Sadly that happens with age, although according to my inbox there's a mod called V14GR4!! that's great for droop problems.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited January 2006
    Very nice OC croc! That's a killer 3800+ you have there. Did you happen to write down the stepping code printed on the heat spreader?

Is this with the OEM HSF?
  • croc_croc_ New
    edited January 2006
    No, I didn't write it down :(

It's with a big typhoon HSF. I'll pop it off when I get some AS5 and write down the stepping codes.
  • croc_croc_ New
    edited January 2006
    5 hour dual prime and still going. Temps: 40c cpu, 45c PWM, 42c chipset.

Next update in 8 hours. Off to work!
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    Good show, Croc. Also, great HSF choice. They're huge, but marvelous.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    I am curious what differences you get in OC on keeping the graphics card all stock and just overclocking your X2.

The reason why I wanna know is becuase I have the same 3800+ X2 and I noticed NO noticable difference in any graphics benchmark or game between 2.0GHz and 2.6GHz. Of course the higher OC does help my rendering times in 3D and other CPU related programs, but Aquamark, 3D Mark, etc.... nothing really changed until I OC'd my GFX Card. :(
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    Nice clock Croc!

Can you run dual instanses of Prime, the top torture test at that voltage? My 3800 at 10X270 needs 1.55 volt to be stable at that and not even Watercooling or Big typhoon is gonna keep it under 45C after 24 hours. I even removed the IHS which helped a lot.
  • NightwolfNightwolf Afghanistan Member
    edited January 2006
    Very nice. Awesome system.
  • rykoryko new york
    edited January 2006
    looks good from here! :thumbsup:

so that g.skill ram is working out nicely for you it seems??? i have been eyeing that stuff for some time on newegg now...i think yor results have just swayed my opinion. it is either the g.skill 2gb kit pc4000 or the mushkin 2gb kit pc4000 for $20 more....
  • croc_croc_ New
    edited January 2006
    croc_ wrote:
    5 hour dual prime and still going. Temps: 40c cpu, 45c PWM, 42c chipset.

Next update in 8 hours. Off to work!

Primed another 7 hours, same temps no errors. :rockon:
  • croc_croc_ New
    edited January 2006
    MackanzOCZ wrote:
    Nice clock Croc!

Can you run dual instanses of Prime, the top torture test at that voltage? My 3800 at 10X270 needs 1.55 volt to be stable at that and not even Watercooling or Big typhoon is gonna keep it under 45C after 24 hours. I even removed the IHS which helped a lot.

That's exactly what I am doing!! Dual prime small FFT's @ 1.4v - 2.7GHz. 40c vcore full load, 46c PWM. IHS still intact.

For cooling I use the Big Typhoon with 2 120x38mm fans blowing air from outside the case directly onto the HS, the 120mm fan it came with blowing at an angle down onto the copper sink that touches the cpu, and a 90mm sunon blowing directly onto the PWM and cpu. I also have a 120x38mm exhaust fan on the top of my case. All the 120x38mm (ystech 125cfm) are running at 7v.
  • croc_croc_ New
    edited January 2006
    RWB wrote:
    I am curious what differences you get in OC on keeping the graphics card all stock and just overclocking your X2.

The reason why I wanna know is becuase I have the same 3800+ X2 and I noticed NO noticable difference in any graphics benchmark or game between 2.0GHz and 2.6GHz. Of course the higher OC does help my rendering times in 3D and other CPU related programs, but Aquamark, 3D Mark, etc.... nothing really changed until I OC'd my GFX Card. :(

I'll try that out tonight. 2ghz + stock GFX, 2ghz + OC GFX, and 2.7ghz + stock GFX.
  • croc_croc_ New
    edited January 2006
    ryko wrote:
    looks good from here! :thumbsup:

so that g.skill ram is working out nicely for you it seems??? i have been eyeing that stuff for some time on newegg now...i think yor results have just swayed my opinion. it is either the g.skill 2gb kit pc4000 or the mushkin 2gb kit pc4000 for $20 more....

Yeah, it's GREAT. I had Corsair XMS 4400C25 (TCCD) before, 2x512 with tighter timings ... but I'm liking the extra 1GB. I could probably tighten up my timings on the G.Skill ... but I'm not too concerned about it. I don't need to squeeze every last ounce of performance out of this thing, I just want it to be stable and cool.
  • croc_croc_ New
    edited January 2006
    lemonlime wrote:
    Did you happen to write down the stepping code printed on the heat spreader?

LDBHE 0543SPMW
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited January 2006
    You have some golden Silicon there i'd say. You got room for 2.8 according to your temps and voltage.
  • croc_croc_ New
    edited January 2006
    MackanzOCZ wrote:
    You have some golden Silicon there i'd say. You got room for 2.8 according to your temps and voltage.

Yeah, it seems that way. I still need to tweak it out a bit. I tried 2.75 at 1.42-1.55 and it wont prime stable .... there must be something I'm not seeing. I have a bunch of days off next week, I'm going to reinstall windows and tweak the hell out of this to find my max oc.

So far I'm pretty happy, I wouldn't mind if this was my max.