loading mouse driver in dos mode

davidlyhuadavidlyhua Member
edited February 2006 in Science & Tech
Hi, I am running Win98SE, I am trying to play a game called "super dune 2" but have encountered a problem.

The game must be run in dos mode in order to work but when I do this the mouse does not work. I know that I have to load a mouse driver in dos mode but I have no idea how to do this.

Can anyone please help me?

Regards, David

Comments

• profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited January 2006
    Do you have a USB mouse? If so, try turning on legacy support for USB in the BIOS. If that doesn't work, you may have to use a custom boot disk for the game. :)
  • davidlyhuadavidlyhua Member
    edited January 2006
    No I am not using a USB mouse. How do I go about creating a custom boot disk for the game?

David
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited February 2006
    If you're booting into legacy DOS from Windows 98 (ie Reboot in MS-DOS mode from shutdown list) all you need to do is add mouse.com to your autoexec.dos file. The file autoexec.dos is the real mode DOS version of the system's autoexec.bat file. You shouldn't add anything to your system's autoexec.bat file because it will conflict with your Windows device drivers. MOUSE.COM is the generic PS/2 mouse driver for DOS. The line in autoexec.dos will look something like this:

LH {path to mouse.com, usually something like C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MOUSE.COM , can't remember off the top of my head. Just search for MOUSE.COM}

On my dedicated DOS machine (which actually has 16-bit DOS) the line looks like:

LH C:\DOS\MOUSE.COM

Because on my machine that's the location of MOUSE.COM

Reading this thread may be helpful for you.

-drasnor :fold:
  • davidlyhuadavidlyhua Member
    edited February 2006
    hey thanks, i cant find mouse.com but i found another way to get the mouse working. i downloaded cutemouse and typed in the path for the cutemouse driver into my autoexec.bat file and now the mouse is working in dos mode.

david