60 Feet to High Speed

Comments

• edited March 2006
    GooD -- how can I reach you by email? I'm trying to figure out whether your tower story ever gold told in mainstream Canadian news media....
  • GooDGooD Quebec (CAN) Member
    edited March 2006
    Just as a side note, I did not recieve any news from the guy at CAN news netowork after he said 'he will see with his director if it can interest him' so i guest it was not the case lol

Anyway i can understand it, there's nothing THAT special in what i've done, sure there's some determination proof in this article and it can somehow tell to the readers that if he is ready for something, he can do it !

I would have been very surprised if i was to get post in the 'NATIONAL POST' lol I would have been very happy too sure hah
    reporter wrote:
    GooD -- how can I reach you by email? I'm trying to figure out whether your tower story ever gold told in mainstream Canadian news media....

I'll pv you :thumbsup:
  • edited March 2006
    Hey Kevin. I work for the same outfit and just tripped across your story by accident. I'm trying not to step on a colleague's toes, but I think your story is fabulous. Can I give you a phone call to discuss?

Thanks

GooD wrote:
    Just as a side note, I did not recieve any news from the guy at CAN news netowork after he said 'he will see with his director if it can interest him' so i guest it was not the case lol

Anyway i can understand it, there's nothing THAT special in what i've done, sure there's some determination proof in this article and it can somehow tell to the readers that if he is ready for something, he can do it !

I would have been very surprised if i was to get post in the 'NATIONAL POST' lol I would have been very happy too sure hah

I'll pv you :thumbsup:
    edited March 2006
    You work for CanWest News Service ? Hahah it's funny ;D

Well you won't step on any colleague's toes cuz your colleague never post me back after he was going to 'check with his director/editor if an interview about this was interesting enough to get published'

Just go read your mail. We will keep in touch this way now, i hope you don't have the same director/editor hah :D

Also, Welcome to Short-Media if it's your first time here :thumbup
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited March 2006
    GooD,

Looks like you hit the Inquirer todayhttp://www.theinquirer.net/?article=30371
    edited March 2006
    Donut wrote:
    GooD,

Looks like you hit the Inquirer todayhttp://www.theinquirer.net/?article=30371

:wow2: geez , UNBELIEVABLE.

Just as i tought the 'life cycle' of my article was over... It strikes back !

:Rocker: :D

I hope it won't cause another 4 days of lag on the forum tho :rolleyes:
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    Oh no, another traffic surge. here we go again :D

Hold on tight, everyone! :rarr:
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    ...but the article called you a "geezer" :scratch:
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited March 2006
    GHoosdum wrote:
    ...but the article called you a "geezer" :scratch:

;D;D
    edited March 2006
    That's the inq for you :D
    edited March 2006
    :D It seems like im going to get published tomorow in a couple of Canadian news paper. :wow2: :eek2: Reporter is a lot more fast in the process than the other one that has come to me ;)

I'll no longer be known as the man who can program almost any application you want, no longer as the man who can kick your butt at almost any strategic game, i'll be known as the man who build a tower to reach highspeed internet :D Hahah just kidding, im not THAT good in game ;D

:celebrate
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited March 2006
    Way to go, Geezer! ;D
    edited March 2006
    :eek2:

batten down the hatches, folks. looks like we'll be in for a storm tomorrow :eek3:
  • RADARADA Apple Valley, CA Member
    edited March 2006
    profdlp wrote:
    Way to go, Geezer! ;D

That's Mr. GeezeR to you.. he's famous now...
    edited March 2006
    That's Mr. GeezeR to you.. he's famous now...

Yeah you know you need to talk to me with respect now guys.

I think i'll manage to rent a private jet to get to the next SM lan party with my new celebrity income. I'll go there and i'll give autographs to everybody... :cool2:

:aol:

... ... I ... cannot... hold... anymore... HAHAHAH ;D Damn i can't stop laughing about it :)

Btw i would really like to go to the next SM lan party, if only what i said about 'new celebrity income' was going to be true ;) Oh, wait... just got an idea, maybe you would buy me a plane ticket just to see my face ? :eek3: hahahah
  • MHouseMHouse Nashville, TN
    edited March 2006
    Awesome job, GooD! It had been a while since I'd been on SM, but I just surfed over from The Inq and thought "Where am I?" When I realized it really was SM, I had to pop in and say 'hi'.

Good luck keeping the site responsive, guys! Right now it's The Inq's top story! :bigggrin:

BTW, great job to Team #93 for keeping up the fight! You're definitely holding your own amongst fierce competition! Cheers! :cheers:
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    Just googled for "60 foot tower" and GooD's article is listed #1, #2, #4, #5, #6, and #7... oh there were only 8 links on the first page... GooD... Good Job!!!

engadget
    edited March 2006
    And we thought we were serious about our Internet access, what with that $50 check and spotless goat we offer to the cable co. each month. Seems like a certain small-town Canadian man has us beat -- with a 60-foot tower and 14,000 pounds of cement. After suffering with a 56k connection for long enough, he was excited to hear of a new wireless ISP in his area, but couldn't establish a line of sight due to a nearby church that stood in the way. But not one to give up so easily, our Canadian protagonist proceeded to erect a 60-foot tower in his yard, complete with a 6-foot deep concrete anchor. What have you done with your week?

This is from the link QCH2002 posted. WOW this is an answesome presentation of the article. The best one i've seen until now. :)
  • ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited March 2006
    lol this is rediculous. I love it

QCH2002, the reader comments on that site are great, lol

wheres shorty, we need to change GooD's name to GeezeR
    edited March 2006
    on the comments in this site
    Wow - thats quite an erection

Hahahah
    ;D;D;D
    edited March 2006
    15. My wife won't even let me put up an indoor antenna for HD channels, I wonder what she would say if I went to her said "honey, I am taking abou 500.00 from checking to dig a six foot ditch in our yard then rig up 60' of gun metal grey steel to erect a giant tower in the backyard...can you watch the kids for a while?"

YOu know what she will say don't you??? "Honey, why don't you take that time and become a doctor or raise our kids?"

Good point honey, pass me another beer.

;D
    edited March 2006
    Hahah its a chance i don't have kids and wife right now i suppose :thumbsup:

Oh wait... i don't have beer either :doh::(

;D
    edited March 2006
    Guys i really love you, i love you so much that i asked as only side-payment for my article that the Short-Media.com website must be linked somewhere in the text they publish.
    reporter wrote:
    Will be sure to mention the initial web site in the story!

Cheers..

I love you so much that i want to give this site another wave of freaking lag :D Do not thank me, its my pleasure ;D

Short-Media For The Win :D

Cheers :cheers:
  • WingaWinga Mr South Africa Icrontian
    edited March 2006
    GooD this is awesome buddy, just friggin awesome. :respect::respect::respect: Anyone who had something negative to say about your tower can eat their socks!!!
    You have achieved something that few people will in their lifetime and I'm not referring to the recognition. I mean, just who goes around building 60 foot towers in their back yards :hair::scratch:

If it means slower speeds for the next couple of days so be it. You must enjoy the attention as long as you can :D
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited March 2006
    Wow congratulations for the SECOND round :thumbsup:
  • edited March 2006
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited March 2006
    GooD wrote:
    ...I love you so much that i want to give this site another wave of freaking lag :D ...
    At least you warned us while the library is still open. If I can't get on Short-Media I'm going to need a few good books to get me through the weekend. ;D
    edited March 2006
    Seems like an article is now published in many newspapper, like National Post, The Ottawa Citizen, Times Colonist, The Edmonton Journal , The Vancouver Sun, etc.
    In an age when the Internet is God, Kevin Lavallee's backyard do-it-yourself project may be the ultimate sign of the times.

The 23-year-old Ste-Elizabeth, Que., computer programmer has constructed his own 20-metre reception tower to rise above the Catholic church next door, which was blocking his access to a high-speed Internet signal.

Mr. Lavallee's resolve to out-steeple the church is painstakingly described on a Web site devoted to high-tech triumphs and is winning raves throughout cyberspace, making the man a hero to self-described Net nerds around the world.

"That is one mean feat," wrote a fan from Australia. "Great determination. Great job."

Mr. Lavallee's account of his quest for a faster data flow has leapt from www.short-media.com, a Web forum for "the discerning geek" that notched a site-crippling four million views of the story, to popular tech-oriented sites Slashdot.org and digg.com to the German mass media outlet Der Spiegel.

"There was a very large church less than 30 metres from my house, and so the signal had no way to reach me," Mr. Lavallee recounted in his narrative. "I should have forgotten about it at that point, but I'm not that kind of person. Not after nine years of waiting, and not when everyone around me, just far enough away from the church, would have it."

So Mr. Lavallee set about overcoming the obstacle standing between his house on Principale Road in Ste-Elizabeth, about 60 kilometres northeast of Montreal, and the transmission tower built by an Internet provider on the edge of town.

Word went around the community that Mr. Lavallee was looking for a used TV aerial or similar structure, and a discarded 20-metre communications tower was eventually tracked down and purchased for $100.

Mr. Lavallee anchored the aluminum device in a cement-filled, two-metre-deep hole in his backyard, the peak his tower surpassing the roof of Eglise Ste-Elizabeth and with a clear path past the church belfry to the Internet transmitter.

Total cost: about $400.

"Getting high speed Internet was the most challenging experience in my life," Mr. Lavallee wrote. "Now that I have it you can't even imagine how much I appreciate it.."

Plaudits continue pouring in on Web sites worldwide: "This guy is my new hero," says a typical posting on digg.com. "Freaking awesome," says another.

And: "We need more creative people like this in the world."

I need to find a place where they sell the National Post today :rarr:

What i found weird is that im sure the article would not have been so popular if the building that was blocking my signal was not a church hahah. The journalist asked me if i was religious :skeptic: hahah Well, im lucky it was a church then ;) It would have been just a big building and i would have done the same thing tho :)

This site is now linked on news papper everywhere in Canada. Enjoy :cheers:
    edited March 2006
    :eek2:
    edited March 2006

Mr. Lavallee says he's had no response to the tower from the church next door and no complaints from municipal officials, but plenty of congratulations from other neighbours.

The Roman Catholic Diocese of Joliette, which manages the church in Ste-Elizabeth, did not provide a comment on Mr. Lavallee's tower.

"I am not a religious man, though I respect those who are," Mr. Lavallee said yesterday.

He says he's had a good laugh over web admirers who predict the church will respond by raising its roof.

"It was really not my intention," he added, "to offend religious people. I was forced to build a tower to get high-speed Internet, but I would have preferred a much easier solution to this problem."

Man they called the Roman Catholic Diocese of Joliette :crazy: hahaha

Like if they would say 'we are totally disgusted by what this man did, we want him to destroy his monstruosity, or we will' ;D

Nahh just kidding :)