New AMD Retail 'sinks?

Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
edited June 2003 in Hardware
When did AMD switch retail HSF designs? I just bought 2 2500s, and the heatsink they've got is different from the one that came with my 1700+ Palomino... it's almost exactly the same size, but the fan is a bit thicker, it's quieter (the fan is a 18cfm/28dba delta 60x13mm) than the older one, and it's a hell of a lot heavier- probably 2x as heavy. What that indicates to me is a copper base, but the base is silver. So maybe it was silver plated, but the surface looks more like aluminum to me... I'm going to sand/file down the side of one of them once I know the cpu is good to see if it is copper... it also has a 3-prong clip (which is insanely stiff, btw...) and the thermal pad is silver instead of pink...

Normally I don't use the retail hsfs, but I didn't feel like assembling one of my SLK-800s at the time, so I just threw the retail hsf on it...

for those of u that have no idea what I'm talking about, I took some pix...

Comments

• Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited June 2003
    more
    edited June 2003
    still more
    edited June 2003
    last one
  • danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited June 2003
    They actually look pretty good.

Those are actually the Antec design reference (as I had a Antec HSF just like it)
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    how many rpms is it?
  • RobRob Detroit, MI
    edited June 2003
    They work well, I started getting them with 2400 MP's, and there sufficient for tight rackmounts. I never investigated the whats and whys, just that they work and I can walk away from it ;)
  • RobRob Detroit, MI
    edited June 2003
    oohh ya.. Notice the 3 prong clip?? Makes shiping less of a nightmare, lost one dual AMD to busted sockets :(

Try to ship something that heavy, and a single clip hsf makes a nice mess. Invision that thing rattling around inside a case being thrown by a UPS carrier. Sorry sir, how many clips with your order today?? ;)
  • edited June 2003
    I notice that the bottom of it still has a pretty gr@ppy finish job on it though. I gues that's why they like to use TIM's instead of grease, with that sorry finish job. It would be interesting to see what comes off if you would lap that hs though; if it is plated copper or what.
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited June 2003
    Those are Dynatron Skivved heatsinks - I'll hunt up a product link when I get home....

Looks like a nice heatsink. Maybe my next 2 2500+ will be retail. :)
    edited June 2003
    the fan sucks tho- it's only like 3500rpm, and since it only pushes like 18cfm, it doesn't help much... the heatsink itself gets nice and warm, but I don't think the fan pushes enough air to remove the heat effectively... in my KX7, it was reading 120*F in the bios after 1hr of Memtest86 and a reboot... that's with the stock silver thermal pad and fan tho... you can add 25*+ to that temp to get the actual temp, due to the location of the probe on the kx7... so it's a lot hotter than I'd like, but it's passable... i'll bet it'd do well with a big delta or something on it tho... maybe I'll try it with the 7krpm 60x38 OCZ/Delta I have around here...

muddocktor- it MUST be copper... either that or steel or tungsten :D 'cause that heatsink is H-E-A-V-Y for such a little guy...

I typed the above ^ about 10 minutes ago... then I went downstairs and grabbed my dad's digital balance to see just how heavy these things are... I also measured them with my dad's digital calipers...
    <TABLE><TR><TD>Heatsink</TD><TD>Construction</TD><TD>Weight</TD><TD>Dimensions (LxWxH)</TD></TR><TR><TD>"Old" Stock heatsink</TD><TD>Skived Aluminum</TD><TD>161g</TD>
    <TD>63mm x 62mm x 36mm</td></TR><TR><TD>"New" Stock heatsink</TD><TD>Unknown</TD><TD>260g</TD><TD>60mm x 62mm x 31mm</td></tr><TR><TD>Globalwin CAK-38</TD> <TD>Extruded Copper</TD><TD>422g</TD><TD>60mm x 60mm x 35mm</td></TR><TR><TD>Hercules Gladiator II</TD> <TD>Soldered Copper</TD><TD>359g</TD><TD>75mm x 58mm x 35mm</td></TR><TR><TD>Thermalright AX-7</TD> <TD>Soldered AlCu Hybrid</TD><TD>433g</TD><TD>78mm x 77mm x 42mm</td></TR><TR><TD>Thermalright SLK-800A</TD>
    <TD>Soldered copper</TD><TD>518g</TD><TD>88mm x 55mm x 40mm</td></TR></TABLE>

Notes:<ul>
    <li>The stock heatsinks were measured with the shrouds in place
    <li>The CAK-38 was weighed with the stock AMD clip because the Globalwin one broke
    <li>The Gladiator was measured without the shroud because it was damaged
    <li>Length is the clip side, Width is the other side, Height is the thickness from the base to the top of the fins/shroud.
    <li>The SLK-800A was measured from the base to the top of the lowest fins, and at the maximum Length & Width
    <li>The protective film on the SLK-800A was left in place
    <li>While the balance and calipers read to 2 decimal places, manufacturing variances make the last 2 places irrelevant.
    </ul>

So the new stock heatsink weighs a good bit more than the old one does, even though it's almost exactly the same size.
  • Omega65Omega65 Philadelphia, Pa
    edited June 2003
    It look like maybe it's a OEM version of this 'sink with a three pronged clip

Model # DC1206BM-PCu-M
    DC1206BM_L_610_P_CU_01.jpg
    DC1206BM_L_610_P_CU.jpg

BTW heres a Opteron Heatsink by Dynatron

SK_V2.jpg
    SK_V2_01.jpg
    edited June 2003
    That Ajigo has to be it- same size, same color, same fan, and it's a nickel-plated al/cu hybrid. the nickel would explain the base color...
    edited June 2003
    I've never been a fan of "cheap" heatsinks... All 3 cpus that I have in systems now are cooled w/slk-800s... my AX-7 is only used as a backup/testing cooler... the other ones I just keep around because they might be good for something... I think...
  • danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited June 2003
    WuGgaRoO said
    how many rpms is it?

They run at around 5400-5600RPM's
    edited June 2003
    that ajigo is 3600rpms
  • ReignReign New York
    edited June 2003
    What are the CPU temps with the retail HSF on?
    edited June 2003
    mine was running 120*F on the base of the cpu package (kx7) running memtest86, altho the case's cooling isn't that good...