How to play Hogs of War on Win XP?

CyrixInsteadCyrixInstead Stoke-on-Trent, England Icrontian
edited October 2011 in Gaming
My brother has had Hogs of War for quite a while now, and he loves it (I like it too!) The only trouble is, he's just upgraded to Windows XP. And, Hogs of War doesn't run on any Win NT platform, including XP :mad:

I tried installing it in compatability mode for him (it wouldn't even install before) and running it in compatability mode, but after the title screen the game just died.

Can anyone help? Is there a Windows 98 emulator or something out there he can use? It seems a bit much to install Win 98 on a seperate partition just so he can play one game.

~Cyrix

Comments

• ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    Compatibility mode _should_ work :scratch:

I've got the game and it worked on my XP install with Win98 compatibility selected. Try setting the display to 640*480 mode or 800*600 mode before you run it.

Also, once you have installed the game under Win98 mode.. make sure you right click on the .exe file and select Win98 mode for that as well (just incase) :)
  • CyrixInsteadCyrixInstead Stoke-on-Trent, England Icrontian
    edited September 2003
    Cheers Shorty, I'll give it a try...

~Cyrix
    edited September 2003
    Weird. The game runs but only at 640x480 - I tried it at 1024x768 and the bloody thing froze my PC and lost me a third of a folding wu!!:rant:

But 640x480 is more than enough for my bro - in fact it now looks about the same quality as the PS One version!!

~Cyrix
  • edited October 2011
    How can i fix this problem with this game "Hogs of war" i have wind. xp but i cant run instalation....PLS HELP
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited October 2011
    Shorty wrote:
    I've got the game and it worked on my XP install with Win98 compatibility selected. Try setting the display to 640*480 mode before you run it.

Also, once you have installed the game under Win98 mode.. make sure you right click on the .exe file and select Win98 mode for that as well (just incase)

Follow those instructions. Nice necro.
  • I'd be skeptical that it's possible to run this game with anything other than legacy hardware running Windows 95 or 98. Having spent ages messing around with it in XP I admitted defeat despite trying all the compatibility settings. It needs to be remembered too that a fully updated XP SP3 OS is a very different animal to the one first released in 2002. Hogs ran for me on one occasion but crashed and died after a short while. Unfortunately that motivated me to waste even more time trying to get it going. A virtual OS isn't any more helpful as the program requires hardware acceleration. VMWare Player didn't get it running because of lack of support for this in VMTools. There are posts to be found discussing ways of installing and running Hogs of War but they all lead to disappointment. Any successful patch or workaround would have been well documented long ago. If only Hogs of War 2 had made it to release a few years ago.
    Still interest in this game after all this time :D
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    The elusive double-necro...
    primesuspect
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Snarkasm said:

The elusive double-necro...

but what does it MEAN?