AMD's Socket AM2 – The Next K8

ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
edited June 2006 in Science & Tech
Today, it is becoming evident that the hardware industry as a whole will be abandoning traditional DDR memory in the not too distant future. AMD's latest revision to the K8 architecture incorporates a new DDR2 memory controller, a new socket design and some other pleasant surprises. Short-Media will be turning another page in the K8's history, and will be taking an in depth look at AMD's new Socket AM2 platform.

Read it here

Comments

• ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Excellent work mate... clear, concise and lots of pwetty graphs too :D
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Ah, it's too bad /. picked up someone else's article for their site... this one is so much better!

Seriously, I just finished reading the entire article - lemonlime, I think you did a phenomenal job on this one. This needs prime exposure out there on the web. :bigggrin:
  • edited May 2006
    Something's wierd with the faster/slower parts of pcmark04 bar graphs.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited May 2006
    wrote:
    Something's wierd with the faster/slower parts of pcmark04 bar graphs.

Thank you for pointing that out. There is indeed an error with the DivX PCMark 2004 result--the actual graph is identical to the previous WMV test. The positive 1% performance delta is correct, only the graphic is wrong. I will correct this ASAP.

Thanks again.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    OUTSTANDING article!!!! One of the best reviews I've read. :clap:
  • Buddha16Buddha16 Austin, Tx Member
    edited May 2006
    Wow, great work lemonlime.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Lemonlime: That was an excellent review. Top notch!
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    I love the picture of the hardware on the removable mobo tray :thumbsup:

939_SYSCONFIG.jpg
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Just finished reading the whole thing. Great job! Really detailed :thumbsup:
  • lsevaldlsevald Norway Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Great review:thumbsup:

Have your tried "CPU Vcore Offset Voltage" in the "Advanced Voltage Control section" to get more Vcore?
    edited May 2006
    lsevald wrote:
    Great review:thumbsup:

Have your tried "CPU Vcore Offset Voltage" in the "Advanced Voltage Control section" to get more Vcore?

Thanks for the comments! :cheers:

I did. That particular option allows a small 200mV (0.02V) boost to help offset a low voltage rail--or something to that effect. According to the manual, there should be voltages up to 1.5V selectable from that main menu. I suspect that this is just an early BIOS revision, and there will be more to come.
    edited May 2006
    Gargoyle wrote:
    I love the picture of the hardware on the removable mobo tray :thumbsup:

I never knew what I was missing until I bought my Lian-Li PC65. The removable tray makes things so much easier :D
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    I hope AMD has something hidden in the wings to bunker bust the Intel camp with when the Conroe comes out. Token DDR2 support and up to 3GHz (By the date of Conroe's release) probably won't be enough; even this white'n'green stick in the mud sees some writing on the wall.

In other news, this article is thorough, and very well written. Kudos.
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Thrax wrote:
    I hope AMD has something hidden in the wings to bunker bust the Intel camp with when the Conroe comes out. Token DDR2 support and up to 3GHz (By the date of Conroe's release) probably won't be enough; even this white'n'green stick in the mud sees some writing on the wall.

In other news, this article is thorough, and very well written. Kudos.

I agree, Thrax. This all depends upon pricing, of course, but Conroe is on my short list of CPUs for my next desktop PC. If that happens, it will be the first Intel CPU I will own since the Celeron 533 I had back in 1999. That being said, I'm still in favor of AMD and I'd love to see them come out with something that knocks Conroe right off my list. For now, I'm just riding out the waves while using my notebook as my primary rig.
    edited May 2006
    I have a feeling there will be more big news in the desktop AMD market before the year is up.. mark my words ;)
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    Well done. Thanks.:thumbsup:
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2006
    I don't doubt that AMD has something up their sleeve; I don't think Ruiz'n'co would get so far ahead, and not have the simple foresight to see that Intel was eventually going to one up them this year (Or try to...)

I simply wonder about the timeliness of the endeavour, which is traditionally not AMD's strong suit.
  • edited June 2006
    try using 2x 1gb modules in each system next time :)
    edited June 2006
    wrote:
    try using 2x 1gb modules in each system next time :)

Unfortunately, I did not have any 1GB modules at my disposal for testing. None of the benchmarks that I performed would have benifited in the least bit from 2x1GB. Even 2x256MB would have been the same :)