Dual sata problem on 8rda3+ (3112A)

edited May 2006 in Hardware
Hello people, first time posting here and hope this is the right place for seeking help. (any mods are welcome to move post if it is in the wrong place).

For the last few months I've been running with a
"maxtor diamondmax 10 160gb 8 meg cache"
connected to my first sata port on my motherboard.

It's been used as my primary windows partition and a data partition. Additionally I've had an old 80 gb ibm/hitachi drive PATA drive as backup and a generic dvd burner.

My 8rda3+ bios version is the latest from 2005 with a 4.2.47 3112A bios.

Last week I got a good offer on another "maxtor diamondmax 10 160gb 8 meg cache" that I ordered.

I don't wanna run any raid as the system is speedy enough for me, I just needed the extra space.

Heres what happened.

I connected the drive to the second sata port.

At the first boot it wasnt detected.

At the second boot it was detected and I then proceded into the si3112a boot menu to start a low level format of the secondary drive.

Now I can see the program still running but the % stays at 0 and as far as I can hear there are no harddrive activity.

I then thought ok it might just be the si3112 formatting thing acting up and I then through this site here updated my windows drivers for the SI3112A from 1.0.0.51 to 1.0.0.53 but windows cannot see the drive either.

I've also noticed that booting into windows with the newdrive connected to the second port takes a lot longer and sometimes just halts the pc (screen goes to sleep). Right now the second drive is disconnected from the port.

I then tried the maxblast program (though it shouldnt work) which refuses to detect the new drive regardless of whether its connected to the secondary port or the first port or with the old one or alone.

The problem is getting on my nerves and I cant really test the drive elsewhere because this is the only sata ready board I have :S

Thank you in advance for any help or tips. Dunno If im just missing some stupid setting in the bios or if I might need a newer sata controller bios.

PS: If needed is it possible to flash the bios from a cd rom (with a backup bios available offcourse)? As the only floppy drive I have is an old ls-120 ide drive which I don't think is too trustworthy anymore.

Comments

• edited May 2006
    Hi.

Does the problem still exist?

If yes, then try to check (all) the ribbon cables and (all) the jumper settings.
    Furthermore, try to check if the new 160GByte harddisk does correctly work at all.
    To do a simple check, connect the new 160GByte to other ports and look/watch if the drive works or not.

Also try to disconnect the current 160GByte harddisk from the primary port and connect the new 160GByte harddisk to the primary port and test it there.