Case Fan Addition Question

Yayo01Yayo01 Member
edited June 2006 in Hardware
Hi, I've Added a New fan (yay did it my self :D) on my pc but just wondering is the position of it is right? heres a diagram of it :)

SideFan is the old fan (still functioning ;) )
NewFan is the new one :)

Thanks in Advance

Comments

• GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    I'm having trouble figuring out which direction that diagram is drawn from - is that new fan on the top or front of your case? Is it a tower case or a desktop?

Generally speaking, in a tower case, it is best to have the air intakes in the low front and the exhaust high in the back.
  • Yayo01Yayo01 Member
    edited June 2006
    The "NewFan" is at the rear because i have no open holes at the front, The Sidefan is on the right side of the case.

and damn you guys are fast

EDIT: heres a better diagram ( i hope)
    edited June 2006
    In that case, then, I'd consider flipping it so that it is an exhaust fan. If you can check your case and CPU temperatures through software, you might want to check it under 3 configurations:
    1. Without that fan
    2. With that fan as intake (as you have it)
    3. With that fan as exhaust (flip it)

And leave it with whichever configuration gives you the lowest temps.
  • Yayo01Yayo01 Member
    edited June 2006
    GHoosdum wrote:
    In that case, then, I'd consider flipping it so that it is an exhaust fan. If you can check your case and CPU temperatures through software, you might want to check it under 3 configurations:
    1. Without that fan
    2. With that fan as intake (as you have it)
    3. With that fan as exhaust (flip it)

And leave it with whichever configuration gives you the lowest temps.

can you direct me to that software your suggesting? :)

1: I've tried it, but my side fan still blows "midly" hot air
    2: its midly hot
    3: it almost burned xD
    edited June 2006
    Interesting results.

The last version of Motherboard Monitor works with many older motherboards. You might want to give it a try.

You can download it here:
    http://www.short-media.com/download.php?dc=47

Alternatively, if you have an Asus motherboard, you can download Asus Probe from the Asus website. That's guaranteed to work with all Asus boards.
  • Yayo01Yayo01 Member
    edited June 2006
    Thanks for the Link :)

Dont Know what is the brand of my MoBo tho,

without the fan (like it used too)

1: The "side" fan blows cool and somewhat hot air out
    2: Don't Know.
    3: Don't Know.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited June 2006
    One thing to keep in mind is that with the new fan at the rear blowing in, it will likely be sucking the hot air exhausted from the power supply right back into the case.

I'd second what GHoosdum mentioned about experimenting with different configurations, since the only real way to be sure is to actually test things out. :)
  • Yayo01Yayo01 Member
    edited June 2006
    oh ic, btw how can i know what MoBo do i have? since the Program GHoosdum suggested needs the exact mobo..
    edited June 2006
    Sometimes motherboard manufacturers silkscreen the name and model number of the motherboard into the PCB. Take off the side of the case, and see if anything is written on the mobo. It's often written between the PCI slots.

Also, if your motherboard has an AMI BIOS, this app: http://www.ami.com/support/mbid.cfm might be of use.
  • Yayo01Yayo01 Member
    edited June 2006
    Ohh Thanks for the tip :)

Btw..odd..the program u suggested gaved me a warning o_O it says my pc temp thingy dropped at 0"C

Odd...
    edited June 2006
    Yayo01 wrote:
    Ohh Thanks for the tip :)

Btw..odd..the program u suggested gaved me a warking o_O it says my pc temp thingy dropped at 0"C

Odd...

That happens when it can't read the temperature correctly. There's probably something going wrong with the program.
    edited June 2006
    You might try seeing what the Belarc Advisor has to say about your MB.

If you still have no luck with MBM5, see if SpeedFan works. :)
  • Yayo01Yayo01 Member
    edited June 2006
    profdlp wrote:
    You might try seeing what the Belarc Advisor has to say about your MB.

If you still have no luck with MBM5, see if SpeedFan works. :)

Seems Speedfan doesnt detect my fans (hmmm maybe theres no sensor)

and yeah

"from Speedfan" this is when i turned my "desktop" fan off
    HD0: 40C and rising
    Temp1: 22C

and when the thing is blowing (2 or so FT away)
    "weird this temp is stable o_O"
    HD0: 37C
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    You should try making your side fan blow in at the hardware(intake) and the new one blow out (exhaust). Any other fans in the case? What about bottom front?
    edited June 2006
    Are your fans connected to the MB with a dinky three-pin connector, or hooked directly to the PSU with the larger four-pin Molex connector? Only the former will report the fan speed.
  • Yayo01Yayo01 Member
    edited June 2006
    Zuntar wrote:
    You should try making your side fan blow in at the hardware(intake) and the new one blow out (exhaust). Any other fans in the case? What about bottom front?

I have only Three fans. The "stock" motherboard fan,the sidefan and the "new" rear fan..

might do it but my worries are dust, they are everywhere here in my place...but still im going to test it :)

@profdlp
    My side fan had an Extra "Molex connector" (whatever that is :P) thats where i connected the new fan..the sidefan is there when my mom bought the pc..

and i dont see those "dinky three-pin connector" on my fans...just molex's. :\
    edited June 2006
    The inside of your computer is going to get dusty anyway. The question is, do you want it to be dusty and hot, or dusty and somewhat cooler? Go with the configuration that gives you the coolest temps and just remember to clean it out once in a while. :)
  • Yayo01Yayo01 Member
    edited June 2006
    profdlp wrote:
    The inside of your computer is going to get dusty anyway. The question is, do you want it to be dusty and hot, or dusty and somewhat cooler? Go with the configuration that gives you the coolest temps and just remember to clean it out once in a while. :)

actually my first test is the sidefan as an intake and the rear fan as an exhaust, the prob is those "tiny...can i say tiny?" holes at the rear somewhat slows the rear fan ability to blow air out..:scratch:
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    Yayo01 wrote:
    actually my first test is the sidefan as an intake and the rear fan as an exhaust, the prob is those "tiny...can i say tiny?" holes at the rear somewhat slows the rear fan ability to blow air out..:scratch:

Cut out the "grid" blocking the fans just remember to get a fan grill so as to keep fingers intact.

Ditto on what profdlp said, dust will come in no mater which way the fans blows.;)
  • Yayo01Yayo01 Member
    edited June 2006
    Zuntar wrote:
    Cut out the "grid" blocking the fans just remember to get a fan grill so as to keep fingers intact.

Ditto on what profdlp said, dust will come in no mater which way the fans blows.;)

but my mom wont allow me to buy a "fan grill" and wont allow me to cut those tough metal grids >.<

and ok ill make the side fan as an intake...and make the rear fan as an exhaust "damn tiny holes! >.<"
  • Yayo01Yayo01 Member
    edited June 2006
    Back, I've made my sidefan as an Intake and my Rear fan as a Exhaust fan...

reading from Speedfan:

HD0: 40C

The Hardrive has risen 4'C (IIRC) and my whole CPU temp hadn't changed :D
    edited June 2006
    Yayo01 wrote:
    ...The Hardrive has risen 4'C (IIRC) and my whole CPU temp hadn't changed :D
    What is the CPU temperature?
  • Yayo01Yayo01 Member
    edited June 2006
    If im right, Speedfan is reading the CPU at 22'C (the Temp1) or...atleast i think its reading it..

Sorry, Just new too this Temp Reading thingy :)
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    If im right, Speedfan is reading the CPU at 22'C
    Impossible, unless the CPU is room temperature, which wouldn't be the case unless the computer had been off for an hour. 22*C sounds about right for case temperature, if the room is cool and the case is well ventilated. Keep poking around in the monitoring software and you'll find the settings/options for the CPU.
  • Yayo01Yayo01 Member
    edited June 2006
    maybe your right, seems Speedfan dont detect my CPU or Fans...hmmm
    edited June 2006
    What chip does it detect?

(See pics)
  • Yayo01Yayo01 Member
    edited June 2006
    heres my readings :)

the one on the left is your reading. ;)
    edited June 2006
    What is the Brand and Model# of your Motherboard?
  • Yayo01Yayo01 Member
    edited June 2006
    heres what speedfan say:

Win9x:NO 64Bit:NO GiveIO:YES SpeedFan:YES
    I/O properly initialized
    Linked ISA BUS at $0290
    Linked VIA VT8235 SMBUS at $0500
    Found nVidia GeForce2 MX / MX 400
    Linked nVidiaI2C0 SMBUS at $3D403E3F
    Linked nVidiaI2C1 SMBUS at $3D403637
    Scanning ISA BUS at $0290...
    SuperIO Chip=Winbond W83697HF
    Scanning VIA SMBus at $0500...
    Scanning I2CNVidia SMBus at $3D403E3F...
    Scanning I2CNVidia SMBus at $3D403637...
    SMART Enabled for drive 0
    Found Maxtor 6E040L0 (41.1GB)
    Found ACPI temperature (21.8C)
    End of detection
    Error loading event -->
    CfgVersion=01.0001
    EventsVersion=01.0001
    Loaded 0 events
  • Yayo01Yayo01 Member
    edited June 2006
    back, just removed the fan...seems my pc runs 'somewhat' cooler without the fan....i just sticked the fan on my "new" pc instead because the CPU reaches at a burning 55'C! anyway.....Thanks guys for the help :)