Best BT client?

2»

Comments

• EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited November 2004
    That was a good movie! Stfu!
  • MedlockMedlock Miramar, Florida Member
    edited November 2004
    I know how to set up port forwarding, it just won't LET me. :shakehead Something about the "base host port" (I have no idea what that is, and the website only lists instructions for the ports that BT uses by default.

Is there any other range of ports I can use, or am I just stuck? :scratch:
  • croc_croc_ New
    edited November 2004
    NEWS TEAM ASSEMBLE!

I use 3.3 shad0ws experimental or whatever.
  • CryptoCrypto W.Sussex UK Member
    edited November 2004
    TheSmJ wrote:
    I just started using ABC yesterday. It's the best BT Client I've used thus far (though I've only ever used Shadow's Expiremental, which is banned on most trackers, and the original client, which has no options what-so-ever.

Why would the trackers do that? What does it matter to them which client you use?

Crypto :confused:
  • BudBud Chesterfield, Va
    edited November 2004
    Thrax wrote:
    ABC.

DMZ or port forward ports 44000 - 45000.
    Set the ABC client to use those ports.
    Maximum uploads should be (Max upload bandwidth / 8).

I thought by default bt client uses normally in the high 6000's like 6999
  • edited November 2004
    Crypto wrote:
    Why would the trackers do that? What does it matter to them which client you use?

Crypto :confused:

Because using Shadow's, you can change your maximum UL rate, without reporting it correctly to the tracker.
  • PressXPressX Working! New
    edited December 2004
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited December 2004
    Bud wrote:
    I thought by default bt client uses normally in the high 6000's like 6999

It does. ISPs are throttling those ports.
  • CyrixInsteadCyrixInstead Stoke-on-Trent, England Icrontian
    edited December 2004
    Some useful guides can be found on afterdawn's website.

I looked through them and came to the comclusion that Azereus looked the best. I'm yet to see though.

They're at:
    Guide to using ABC (Another BitTorrent Client)
    Guide to using Azureus (BitTorrent Client)
    Guide to using BitComet (BitTorrent Client)
    Guide to using BitTornado (BitTorrent Client)
    Guide to using G3 Torrent (BitTorrent Client)

~Cyrix
  • GobdGobd Seattle, WA
    edited December 2004
    There is no best but I can tell you now that Shareaza is one of the worst. In the new version in the works there are tons of fixes for Bittorrent that should make it respectable. The official is good to fall back on but hogs memory and CPU. Azureus is also a hog and massivly bloated with too many features. ABC is fairly good, enough features and doesn't hog too much. G3 Torrent is great but not updated much any more. Bit Tornado is also great but lacks a GUI. In my opinion Burst! is the best because it has a GUI with a queue, uses very little resources, and isn't bloated with way too many options. Depends on what you like. If G3 starts being updated again I will surely go back to that. If you deviate too much from the well known clients you might find one that trackers don't support.

Official Client
    Azureus
    ABC
    Bit Tornado
    G3 Torrent
    Burst!
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    i'm using bitlord right now, why in god's name is it taking up 27% of a duo 2.0ghz?
    edited June 2006
    Because it's a bad client, apparently. Use Azureus or uTorrent.
  • entropyentropy Yah-Der-Hey (Wisconsin)
    edited June 2006
    uTorrent really is quite the amazing little program. I had a tiny bit of a rough transition from Azureus to it, but now I'd never go back.

82 seeding torrents, 1-2% CPU, 8mb RAM.

Fantastic.
    edited June 2006
    hmmm.. so my comp experiences extreme slow downs and lock ups with whatever bt client i use...ive used azeurus, bitlord and abc...anyone know why...is it because my wireless card is integrated (i have a dell lappy)
    edited June 2006
    It may be. BitTorrent is HELL on network devices.. It hammers TCP/IP traffic like the fist of an angry god; in so doing, it can crash PCs with shoddy network cards and reboot bad routers.
    edited June 2006
    OOoooO...well that makes sense...i figured since it was built it i might need to buy another wireless card....but is a built in centrino mobile device good enough? or is it "shoddy"
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    I have an IBM laptop with built in wireless. Whatever may appear in the Centrino package. It causes blue screens pretty badly when I transfer Torrents.
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    i have a sager laptop, with the intel centrino package as well, using the builtin 2200bg wireless card downloading torrents without any problems.
    edited June 2006
    i knew it must have been the built in wireless....grrrr
  • jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    Thrax wrote:
    It may be. BitTorrent is HELL on network devices.. It hammers TCP/IP traffic like the fist of an angry god; in so doing, it can crash PCs with shoddy network cards and reboot bad routers.

Thrax speaks the truth. I have had many friends with those cheap-skate $30-after-rebate routers, and BT brings them to their knees. When BT isn't running, the routers work fine. But soon as BT start running and pushing a load of traffic the router will either reboot, lock up, stop responding etc.

As far as clients Azureus is a great client, but wow does it eat some resources. If you leave it running in the background for more than a day or two you will be suprised.

uTorrent is arguable as good as Az but without some of the slowness.

Personally right now I am with uTorrent ( i tend to alternate after reformats) however lately I have not really being using BT and instead have been using newsgroups. When you can max out your connection for the WHOLE download (not to mention no need to upload) it sort of puts BT to shame :bigggrin:

cheers
  • ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited June 2006
    im quite fond of Utorrent after i was tired of Azreues sucking up 100's of MB of ram
  • rykoryko new york
    edited June 2006
    i have been messing around with opera 9 beta's built in bittorrent client lately. pretty cool to have it in a browser....now if every website played nicely with opera that would be sweet.

utorrent is what i use mostly though.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    I use uTorrent, really small, sucks up almost no resources. Wouldnt use anything else, not to mention, there is no install.
    edited June 2006
    is there anyway to allocate resoucres for your network card? cause this is terror on my computer
    edited June 2006
    No, it's not a resource issue, it's that the ICs on the board and/or the firmware is incapable of handling that traffic volume.
    edited June 2006
    yeh, BT is a bitch, I can pull 300kbs if there are enough seeders and my brother isnt playing Vid games.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    Hmm, my cheap crappy $1 Realtek NICs seem to have no problem with Bit-Torrent, nor do any of my other machines.
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited June 2006
    I used to use TorrentStorm but now it's unmaintained. uTorrent here and Gnome-Bittorrent on the Linux PCs.

Yeah, my router appliances are the blue-box industrial Netgear boxes. I haven't had trouble using my IBM ThinkPad's a/b/g wireless for BT but after a few hours it crashes my 3com WAP.

-drasnor :fold:
    edited June 2006
    for some reason the problem cleared up and i am currently using utorrent...so i give umy thumbs up to utorrent...i also did spyware scans with spybot search and destroy...and i am getting better speeds with this than with ABC..i also turned off windows firewall cuz i have mcaffe installed..perhaps that hindered bittorrent a bit
    -too bad i already purchased a linksys speedbooster wireless card...ohwell...maybe ill get better speeds
    edited June 2006
    WuGgaRoO wrote:
    for some reason the problem cleared up and i am currently using utorrent...so i give umy thumbs up to utorrent...i also did spyware scans with spybot search and destroy...and i am getting better speeds with this than with ABC..i also turned off windows firewall cuz i have mcaffe installed..perhaps that hindered bittorrent a bit
    -too bad i already purchased a linksys speedbooster wireless card...ohwell...maybe ill get better speeds

ah man, I feel sorry for you, a software firewal? I remember when I had norton on my comp, so slooowww. Now I have a built in firewall on my router, as well as a computer set up to function as a firewall for the network:buck: It is much faster, norton killed my system.