Computer Restarts After I turn it on but repeating....

edited August 2006 in Hardware
Okay I have read some other stuff on here similar to this but it isnt the same. This is what is happening I turn on the computer and it loads and then restarts and it keeps doing it over and over again. Sometimes it wont load up all the way it just will restart. I can NOT get it to stay on long enough to run a virus scan or anything. The computer is a systemax and It has windows XP. Let me know if you need anymore info. Im on another computer right now so i can access this. Thanks for your time and help!!!

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Can you get that computer into safe mode, or does it not even get to a Windows desktop?
  • edited August 2006
    I can try to get there. If I can get there what should I do next??
    edited August 2006
    Actually I'm just looking to see if we can get into safe mode. :) It'll help us narrow down whether or not we should start by testing some hardware, or going right to the operating system.

I can give you a few great things to start with, though. Hopefully the extra computer you're working with has a CD burner, and if so, you'll want to download and burn CD images of Memtest86 and DFT.

Do you have a copy of Nero on that extra PC of yours, or do you otherwise know how to burn a CD image?
  • edited August 2006
    Okay I got into safe mode and it seems to be staying on. Well for the time.
    Yeah my other computer has a burner and nero! and I know how to burn.
  • edited August 2006
    If you can't get into safe mode, or if windows wants to start....but "loops" after awhile, it could be the CPU temp sensor that is goofy (or your CPU that actually is overheating).
    Is your computer new? Has the CPU been changed (or removed from socket) recently?
    I had a client with a similar problem; right after the POST, the computer would start "working" a few seconds, and then would loop back into startup...and would do it over and over.
    - maybe CPU sensor
    - maybe dried out CPU compound between CPU and fan-block
    those are only likely if you can't make it into safe mode
    thrax is right with memtest86+. Always good to give it a pass or 2...
    edited August 2006
    Okay I got into safe mode and it seems to be staying on. Well for the time.
    Yeah my other computer has a burner and nero! and I know how to burn.

Well that's good. :) It seems the problem is Windows related. Many so-called "Infinite reboot" loops are.. Since you can get access to safe mode, it's a good bet that executing the contents of this guide here on Short-Media will remedy the issue. It's a good first step, and if that doesn't work, we have a couple other options to pick from that'll keep your data intact.