Masscool PSUs: quality, or not?

LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciersEagle River, Alaska Icrontian
edited September 2006 in Hardware
This Masscool PSU at Newegg caught my attention. I've done quite a bit of searching on the Internet but haven't been able to find any definitive information on it concerning quality and reliability. Anyone know anything about this PSU model or the brand, Masscool?

Comments

• WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    eh its only like 57 bucks..and they claim it comes with a boat load of overrage protectors...my suggestion...if u got money to burn..buy it...throw it in an older or cheaper system and watch it work...one thing that was good in the review was that it was heavy..i dont know why exactly..but it seems like the heavier psus are always higher quality than the lighter ones
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    WuGgaRoO wrote:
    eh its only like 57 bucks..and they claim it comes with a boat load of overrage protectors...my suggestion...if u got money to burn..buy it...throw it in an older or cheaper system and watch it work...one thing that was good in the review was that it was heavy..i dont know why exactly..but it seems like the heavier psus are always higher quality than the lighter ones

Power supplies. You get what they weigh for.
  • edited August 2006
    Masscool's are very high quality PSU's. As you can see in this review it's a very stout unit. They're made by Seventeam and having owned a couple (the PSU on my system now is Seventeam) I can attest to their quality. They build PSU's on the nearly same level of quality as the Turbo Cool series from PC P&C.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Thanks guys. Madmat, that was smart to search on the name from the data plate in addition to the Newegg description. I hadn't thought of that. I've never heard of that site that did the review, but it seemed competent to me. Concerning the one reviewer at Newegg claiming it was heavy. Yeah, he's probably right, but I'm a bit queasy going by what most Newegg reviewers say. Most of them seem to be clueless. At least that guy gave a reason other than "It's the best...had it for two days without problems...my computer blew and I'll never get that part again...my girlfriend's pregnant because of the RAM chip..."

I digress.
    edited August 2006
    Leonardo wrote:
    my girlfriend's pregnant because of the RAM chip..."

I digress.

that was my excuse too lol
  • edited August 2006
    Jonny has reviewed PSU's for several sites and owns about $7000.00 worth of PSU loadtesting equipment (if not more) and works for Ultra now designing and testing their newer PSU's.

To tell you the kind of character the man has, ever since he started for Ultra he will not do any reviews of their PSU's so that he can't be accused of bias towards them if they did well.
    edited August 2006
    Again, thanks Mat. I looked around and indeed that Masscool looks like a sleeper - wolf in sheep's clothes.
    edited August 2006
    is a psu's ability to sleep considered a good thing?
    edited August 2006
    I went ahead and ordered the Masscool/Nextherm.
  • edited August 2006
    Congrats, I love my Seventeam PSU's.
    edited August 2006
    lets hope it holds up like it weighs...damn good
    edited September 2006
    I've had the Nextherm (Masscool) PS-PSU460 installed and powering System 3 (signature) at full load for two days. Keep in mind, that full load is on two CPU cores each overclocked by 1000MHz. Voltage rails, as measured by Asus Probe 2 are excellent. Right now, I don't think you could find a higher quality PSU in this power range for the money. I am really impressed.
  • edited September 2006
    Did you look up the UL number and check who the manufacturer is, Leo? I just was wondering if they are still manufactured by Seventeam.
    edited September 2006
    Yes, according to the UL number, it is a registered number by Seventeam. JonnyGuru at PCPerspective rates Seventeam PSUs as "cream of the crop." I have not researched the veracity of his rankings, but here's a summary of his rankings at AMD Forums and his review of the Nextherm ICS 2800 PSU4600 (Masscool at Newegg) at JonnyGURU. Interestingly enough, this JonnyGURU rates the Seventeam PSUs higher than the Silencer series from PC Power & Cooling. :hair:
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    It's pretty understandeable why the psu is cheap though. No dual pci-e for sli or Crossfire. 32 amps on the 12V rail isn't gonna cut it with a bunch of harddrives, fans and a big videocard.
    edited September 2006
    For a mid-range (460W) PSU though, you can't beat it. Were I looking for high-end gaming, I've no doubt I'd look for something stronger, but as it is, I've absolutely zero interest in dual video card setups and more than two hard drives.