Power problem with Vid card, can't find cause

edited August 2006 in Hardware
Hi, I have recently (past 3 days or so), been getting the NVIDIA "Your graphics card's performance has been lowered due to insufficient power" or whatever message. I have changed no system settings since I upgraded my video card drivers to 91.31. I have had no problems before this.

System Specs:
AMD Athlon 64 3500+ OCed to 2565 MHz (1.55 V)
Asus A8N-E motherboard
2x 160 GB Hitatchi SATA-2 HD's in RAID-0
90 GB Western Digital drive (IDE, somewhat older, don't remember specs, only used for storage nothing is run off of it, no programs installed on it, page file not kept on it)
2x 512 MB OCZ Platinum-EL PC 3200 (2-2-2-5 factory default) running at 2-2-2-14, 1.85 volts (clock speed is only 403 MHz or so, tested up to 450 MHz before started experiencing problems with it back when I was setting up my OC)
Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS soundcard

Antec TP2-550W power supply
Leadtek model of the Geforce 6800 GT (PCI express). I had it OCed to 400/1100, dropped it to factory defaults just a little bit ago when the problems got much worse. Still having problems off and on now.

I built the thing mid-August 2005 from all new parts. Ample case room, internal temps stay below about 46 ambient. CPU Doesn't go above 49 under load, vid card was staying under 72. I have had very, very few stability problems for the 10 months or so since I got my overclock finished, aside from occasional driver issues that were resolved by downloading different drivers :)

I play Neverwinter Nights at 1280x1024, and I play counterstrike source in windowed mode (with my display resolution at 1600x1200) (these are the only ones for the past couple days that I've played)
3 days ago I got the performance reduction message while playing NWN.
2 days ago I got it a few times while playing NWN.
Yesterday I got it at boot-up (rebooted several times, each time I got the message). And several times again while playing NWN.
Today I got it at boot-up every time (even after lowing the overclock to factory defaults), and could not play any games sometimes because every 20 seconds or so I would be interupted by another performance reduction popup. I would try again 5 or 10 minutes later with or without rebooting (several of each) and have no problems for the 5 or 10 minutes of testing. (And the times I had trouble today it happened immediately after getting through the menus and into the actual game). Today was the first time I have had problems while playing counterstrike.

The room is airconditioned, has been since it got hot. The computer is on almost all the time.

No other problems are apparent. The voltage rails read (using Sandra Lite):
+3.3: 3.25
+5: 4.89
+12: 11.36

As I said, I have changed nothing, installed nothing, and the environment around the computer hasn't changed. I have a heavy duty UPS as well, and it has no apparent problems. And yes I checked to make sure the power plug is in the video card's extra power receptacle. I replugged it in to make sure.

Any ideas? Is it my vid card? My PSU? I read elsewhere on the forum that antec PSU's have dropped in quality... I would test it with another PSU but I don't have one. Nor do I have another video card to test with.

Comments

• lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited August 2006
    Hi morikal,

I'd consider your +12V rail to be too low at only 11.36V. Your 5V is also low, but within spec. I'd strongly recommend verifying those voltages with a multimeter, or in the BIOS as well.

If they still read around 11.36, you should definitely contact Antec and get an RMA for that PSU (or purchase a new one).

Best of luck!
  • edited August 2006
    Ok I have been checking again and am at 11.65 on the 12V rail now... (checked several times)... I have taken steps to keep my PSU cooler: there was a HD cage right in front of the intake fan with 3 HDs in it... don't ask me what I was thinking... that location is obviously meant for use with PSU's that don't have an intake fan. So I moved that, and now I have gotten one message with the power reducing thing (no overclocking of the graphics card)

:(
  • edited August 2006
    Have you got a spare PSU to try? If so give it a shot and see if it cures your ills because the rail that you're seeing voltage from in software might not be the rail powering the card. Without testing that rail with a multimeter you're in the dark there and as far as that goes, the software reading could be way off too.
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited August 2006
    Yep, I agree with madmat--software readings are not always accurate. As he mentioned, definitely see if you can try out another PSU from a friend or another PC.

Antecs are usually pretty high quality units, but I had a similar issue with my true-power 430 last year--only with the 5V rail. I'm pretty confident that the PSU is the source of your woes. If it is on its way out, lowering the operating temperature will not improve the situation much. I'd recommend testing it ASAP. If it is indeed the culpret, I'd remove it from your system before it fails outright (and takes some of your hardware with it).

Best of luck!
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    I agree with lemonlime and madmat on trying a different PSU. You could first ry swapping to the other PCI-E plug on the PSU and see if that has any effect.
  • edited August 2006
    Ok, I got a new OCZ GameXtreme 700 watt PSU, hooked everything up, booted up, and got like 20 of those reduced power messages in a row then locked up...

So, now I've narrowed it to the vid card or the MB if the slot is bad...

I'm gonna check the return policies of a couple stores around here and see if I can pick up a test vid card.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Look carefully (with magnification) at the edge of the card, the slot, and the aux connectors. A bad power connection could be your issue.
    Honestly, I suspect something in the power section of the video card.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Typically it could be the video card if your PSU seems to be fine. does your card have a power connector on it? or does it run off the Mobo power?
  • edited August 2006
    Ok it was the video card after all (but I think I'm going to keep my new PSU anyway and use the Antec TP2 550 as a backup)

Got a new one to test with (liberal return policy) and it is fine, no problems...

I am going to go check on leadtek's warranty information now, hopefully over a year as it is a few days past a year now...