-TEAM ISSUE- Notable Milestones

13»

Comments

• edited August 2006
    I'd just like to chime in, I was personally disgusted when I found that you'd upped the 20K milestone to 25K just days before I hit my 20K. In point of fact that's why I'd stopped folding for so long.

Spreading the milestones out is all well and good for those lucky enough to have farms churning out points by the thousands per week but to guys like me that have 1 miserable little CPU chugging away for the team it's a damned slap in the face.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Mat, the reason we went to increasing the interval space between the milestones was because it had practically become a full time job for the milestone(s)' poster(s). Sorry you felt jilted. Sometimes we make a hit, sometimes it's a miss.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    And remember, this is just the list that a staff member posts, not a comprehensive list of what constitutes a milestone. The other milestones are important, and we always welcome it when members point out how they're doing, they just can't all get posted by the few staff the team has :)
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited August 2006
    madmat wrote:
    ...Spreading the milestones out is all well and good for those lucky enough to have farms churning out points by the thousands per week but to guys like me that have 1 miserable little CPU chugging away for the team it's a damned slap in the face.
    With the current lineup the guys with "1 miserable little CPU chugging" gets a whole lot more regular attention than the big boys. Our teammate primesuspect just had his 3,000,000 Point Milestone posted yesterday. Who do you think is likely to celebrate another "official" milestone first: prime? Or the guy at 10,000 points working his way towards 25K?

• edited August 2006
    profdlp wrote:
    With the current lineup the guys with "1 miserable little CPU chugging" gets a whole lot more regular attention than the big boys. Our teammate primesuspect just had his 3,000,000 Point Milestone posted yesterday. Who do you think is likely to celebrate another "official" milestone first: prime? Or the guy at 10,000 points working his way towards 25K?

I'd say it depends on how big the big boy's farm is really. He's going to reach the 1 mil mark long before the guy with one CPU hits 100K.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    madmat wrote:
    I'd just like to chime in, I was personally disgusted when I found that you'd upped the 20K milestone to 25K just days before I hit my 20K. In point of fact that's why I'd stopped folding for so long.

Spreading the milestones out is all well and good for those lucky enough to have farms churning out points by the thousands per week but to guys like me that have 1 miserable little CPU chugging away for the team it's a damned slap in the face.

Stopping folding because some milestones changes is pretty damn petty and selfish. If you're folding for points you're folding for the wrong reason. Grow up a little.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    Look, Madmat, you /quit every time the wind blows in a direction that displeases you. While I understand everyone has their preferences, throwing a tantrum every time something goes in a manner you dislike does a whole lot of nothing for no one. This community prides itself on reliable members who roll with the punches and calmly state their gripe if there is an issue. This situation is one of those issues.

Retooling the milestones is a necessary step given the ever-increasing number of folders we have on the team -- the point spread grows larger by the day, and there comes a time when it just has to happen. Milestones are an S-M instated method of competition, but it's absolutely irrelevant given the greater goal of the project. Back when I folded, I did so with one CPU, sometimes two, and managed close to 70k. I'd have well over 100,000 now if what I did on my PC rendered folding irrelevant (A lot of 100% cpu-intensive tasks, leaving no room for F@H).

A slap in the face, an insult, a terrible outrage it is not.. It's just 5000 more points in a project that needs every point it can get.

Relax.
    edited August 2006
    Maybe we should just can the whole thing and have an annual awards ceremony like the Oscars, etc. Since everybody would get the same number of milestones - one per year - it would be fair to all. :rolleyes:
  • edited August 2006
    profdlp wrote:
    Maybe we should just can the whole thing and have an annual awards ceremony like the Oscars, etc. Since everybody would get the same number of milestones - one per year - it would be fair to all. :rolleyes:

And make life far easier for the poor schlub doing the milestones
    edited August 2006
    madmat wrote:
    And make life far easier for the poor schlub doing the milestones
    Next Friday will be my third anniversary of doing them, and in that time I have posted over 4,200 individual milestones. If I wanted life to be "easier" I would have quit a long time ago. ;)
  • edited August 2006
    Well hopefully by then I'll have achieved my first milestone in 15 months.
    edited August 2006
    madmat wrote:
    A reasonably good computer should average 50K a year. If it's taken you fifteen months to go from 15K to 25K it's not because the milestones are too spread out. (By the way, 20K has not been an official milestone for at least three years, maybe more.) Just so you know, we have another member who joined after you did who just got his 75K award yesterday. Consistency can be a marvelous thing, you should try it sometime.

I'm sure that everyone is eagerly awaiting your next milestone so they can tell you what a swell guy you are. If all you're after is a little attention then I'm sure that you'll be happy to know that this childish little tantrum of yours has gone on for more posts than the aforementioned 3,000,000 point milestone has received thus far. Of course, it's the smelly diaper that attracts the most attention. :rolleyes:
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited August 2006
    madmat wrote:

You just don't get it, do you?
    edited August 2006
    Okay, this thread has degraded into the "attention whore" thread. The milestones have been set, we're not changing for the near term, so to avoid any more arguments, I think we can consider the discussion- and the thread- closed.
This discussion has been closed.