PS3 Is Real!

Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
edited October 2006 in Science & Tech
Yes, it's true. It's not made out of wood, it's not behind bullet-proof glass at the Tokyo Game Show - it's a real live PS3 and the guys at PSM3Mag got to play it today. The two Sony reps that were kind enough to bring PSM3Mag the machine brought it in a bag, popped it out and placed it on their table. They than connected it to their TV and we were away. Forget any dev-kit speculation and empty cases. PS3 is real and it works brilliantly, according to PSM3Mag.
Some more details of the brute in action:
1) It's quiet like a sleeping baby. A barely audible hum. With the TV on you simply can't hear it at all.
2) It's heavy like a planet. No, really. It's impossible to pick up with one hand.
3) It's shiny like a mirror. In fact, it's impossible to take a photograph of it without the flash spanging every picture into a starburst mess. And therefore it's massively prone to fingerprintage too, with the tiny amount of dust in the office magically attaching itself to its surface in seconds.
4) The PS3 joypad is very light and the tilt system is very responsive. We like.
5) The start up is amazingly fast. And game load times were faster than expected. In fact, PS3 does both at about the same speed of PSP. ie, Long load times due to the massive Blu-ray disc? Nope. Simply not an issue.
6) Andy's fingers kept sliding off the shoulder buttons. But that's because his fingers are slippery.

psm2.JPG
Source: PSM3Mag.com

Comments

• Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    If you follow the link they have a handful of images of the unit in the office, from reading the forums the quality and performance is superb... Man I can't wait to get mine :)
  • Buddha16Buddha16 Austin, Tx Member
    edited October 2006
    Oh man I can't wait to save up forever for it.:doh:
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    Oh man, I can't wait to tell the 400 people that stood in the cold for 12 hours that we already sold the two we had to the people who were there for 45 hours and that they went bankrupt doing it..
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    That's awesome. Now they need to answer the most important question:

When is Gran Tourismo coming out for it?
    edited October 2006
    As quickly as you can remortgage your house to pay for all the cars and tracks! :)
    edited October 2006
    I have 6 guys I know who are planning on camping 6 Best Buy’s for 6 days! 3 of them are by camping supply stores so they are going to pitch tents :) they be crazy..... I will wait until they are on shelves, as I have plenty of PC games to keep me busy for the holiday season :)

Thrax the cost of a PS3 is just over the cost of my Electric Bill.... not a bank breaker in my case... PS3 will sell off the shelves and will be sold out until 2-3 Million+ are in the market... do you know how many of the US ones will go to Europe and other countries because of bastard Ebay guys.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    lol @ $800 GT
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gran_Turismo_HD#Gran_Turismo_HD

I've never understood the fasination with the game, it lacks so many things.
  • jhenryjhenry California's Wine Country
    edited October 2006
    Gran Turismo is the best. That's why.

It's fun, has lots of options, and doesn't have the gamey feel to it that many other games have.
    edited October 2006
    "Is the best" isn't a property :)
    But, if you say so.
    edited October 2006
    If GT4 had done what GT:HD will be doing, the game would've been $600. **** that, and **** Sony.
  • MadballMadball Fort Benton, MT
    edited October 2006
    [QUOTE=
    Thrax the cost of a PS3 is just over the cost of my Electric Bill.... not a bank breaker in my case... [/QUOTE]

Wow, you pay a lot for electricity. Mine never gets above $150 a month.
  • maxclarkmaxclark In a hole in the ground
    edited October 2006
    The PS3....haha...i remember when it was just that little black and white Gameboy...lol:)
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    I may just buy one... in like a year or two. Maybe even pick up Vista while I am at it :P

Looks great though... just tooooooooooooooo expencive for my current job.
  • maxclarkmaxclark In a hole in the ground
    edited October 2006
    If you follow the link they have a handful of images of the unit in the office, from reading the forums the quality and performance is superb... Man I can't wait to get mine :)

i checked out those images throught that link...and the PS3 looks too cool:cool:...those graphics on that thing look amazing...damn!...those first person shooting games shown at that site look awesome as well:)...now to save up for one...lol:)
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    Madball wrote:
    Wow, you pay a lot for electricity. Mine never gets above $150 a month.

What the heck are you guys doing? My elec bill is usually the cost of a DVD.

Anyways, wii well see about the ps3. I just have no interest. Great for those who do though :D
    edited October 2006
    Electric Bill = Southern California is Evil... average bill for the summer was $368.00 peaked at $485.00 "that entire month was 112 degrees or hotter" AC was blowing 24/7 @ 82 degrees.
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    Electric Bill = Southern California is Evil... average bill for the summer was $368.00 peaked at $485.00 "that entire month was 112 degrees or hotter" AC was blowing 24/7 @ 82 degrees.

Well there is your problem. I live in Southern California too, but I just use a fan when I am hot and I have mostly natural lighting. My fridge and my computer are literally the only things making a slight difference on my bill, but they are both pretty efficient. I never go over 25$ on my bill with edison.

Sucks to be you man, I don't know how you can afford that.
    edited October 2006
    did I also mention we have 11 PC's running at any given time.. and tbh it is not just me.. everyoen in this area has 200+ upto 300+ bills for electric. I have no idea what part of So cal you live in, but if your bill is really $25 buck I think I would like to move in. I know when I live in Airzona I ran the A/C 24/7 at 72 degrees and my bill never was over $35.00

Also to note I have 2 big fans in my office to keep things feeling cooler than 82... recently the heat has only been 80 so air has never been on... I am willing to be the bill will be cut in 1/3 with just that not being a factor.
  • MadballMadball Fort Benton, MT
    edited October 2006
    That $150 included both my elec. and natural gas. In the winter we use quite a bit of gas to run the furnace and in the summer we use the A/C heavy for about 2 months. So 5 months out of the year the bill is around $150. The other months its around $60. I have a 3000sq ft home with 3 kids, so I think an average utility bill of $100 isn't bad at all.
    edited October 2006
    Madball wrote:
    That $150 included both my elec. and natural gas. In the winter we use quite a bit of gas to run the furnace and in the summer we use the A/C heavy for about 2 months. So 5 months out of the year the bill is around $150. The other months its around $60. I have a 3000sq ft home with 3 kids, so I think an average utility bill of $100 isn't bad at all.

Wow thats cheap...... my house is 1000sq.ft smaller and cost 3 times as much average. with 4 people in the house laundry is going all day and night... but other than that we just have standard appliances and 1 extra soda fridge, and a few PC's.

I think the main problem is 4 PC's that are on all day are really liek 2 or 3 PC's as they sport 600W - 800W PSU's..
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    Good to at least see someone enjoying a PS3. They'll have to continue to write articles, make videos, and blog their experiences with each game that comes out - most won't be able to drop the ~$700 to enjoy the console itself and one game.

Keep up the great work, Sony.
    edited October 2006
    Pfft, you're moaning? It's $600 in the US, it's £500 here. Sorry but how the **** did they work that out? That's nearly $1000. Yay for boning Europe, as usual. Not seeing a penny from me.
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    Like I said, keep up the good work, Sony.
  • DeanoDeano Leicestershire, England
    edited October 2006
    It seems that this thread turned into more of an electricity bill thread then!

anyways..yeha okay it maybe shiny, and maybe heavier than whale eating a hippo, but its still not gonna have anything on the <i>nintendo wii.</i> Now thats <i><b>gonna kick ass.</i></b>