Completely Pathetic SMx stats

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited November 2006 in Folding@Home
The smx project is dead, for all I'm concerned.

These are the current machines that are dead: haven't turned in a WU in at least two weeks:

Ridiculous. We paid good money to have these things shipped out - all over the world. :mad:

Comments

• KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    :grumble: What the dilly, people!
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    well Ive been waiting on an addy to send out my SMx machine since God knows How long! Its been ready to go to a more suited owner for a LONG time since well I got engaged and dont have the room or time to host it. Iv'e even bought new corsair ram to put in it for the next owner
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    Thanks for the explanation, Gnome. Now we just need a few more :D
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    who is responsible from the rigs? have we even heard from some of them?
    edited October 2006
    The original Icrontic2 was stolen by redoulent, and a replacement was given to csimon, but that became SM30_Teta_Melebeck. I believe that technically, there is NO Icrontic2 right now.. I think.

Icrontic14 is CaffeineMe
    Icrontic15 is mondi, who is going through some life issues right now that are pretty major.
    IC16-UK is necropolis
    17 is qparadox
    22 is keto
    26 is dancer
    28 is cbdroege
    30 is maximusbad
    31 is dogdragon
    32 is mtgoat
    34 is deicist
    35 is liquid81

I'm not trying to accuse these hosts of anything serious - I just want the rigs folding again. Collectively, this represents hundreds of dollars that were donated in goodwill to the team, which was used to part out these machines and ship them to their respective hosts. We owe it to the donators (many of whom are hosts themselves) to at least ring the bell a bit and get an explanation from each of these hosts.
    edited October 2006
    I took the liberty of posting the list of who has the rigs right now, so that we may try and contact the host and see if there is an issue and what the problem is. so if you can get ahold of the person, try to and we should get these rigs folding again, because that is the important thing.

edit: prime beat me to making the list, I removed it.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    I'm surprised to see some regular S-M visitors on that list.:scratch:
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    Before anyone gets too upset, I'm sure most of these are just honest mistakes that have happened to occured around the same time. To give you a scenario - I don't have anything automatically monitoring IC11, I manually check it. Because of that, it's possible that it could be down without me knowing it for a little while. Once before, I've needed a gentle reminder to check on it.

I hope we get these rigs back to producing soon :)
    edited October 2006
    Oh believe me, I know. i've had to be reminded myself.. But some of these have been down for more than 30 days. 1 week, 2 weeks, understandable... More than that - we gotta start to wonder... When so many of the machines (a third of the total machines!) are dead in the water - we need to figure out what's going on. This is a collective nudge - maybe more of a deep look at the SMx project to see why 1/3 of the machines that are out are not doing what they are intended to do. :(
    edited October 2006
    prime wrote:
    maybe more of a deep look at the SMx project to see why 1/3 of the machines that are out are not doing what they are intended to do.

watergate commision, 9/11 commision, SMx commision?

satire aside, we really need to get these machines going again. and if not possible, to a more capable host.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    In my free time (hah), I can rig something up that will send an e-mail to the host and the committee if a WU isn't submitted in x hours/days.
    edited October 2006
    That would be a great idea
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    Will work on it this weekend, most likely.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    I can rig something up that will send an e-mail to the host and the committee if a WU isn't submitted in x hours/days.
    I have no doubt that would bring results.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    I made a post on this about 1 month ago...

http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49190

Some have rectified the situation... and others? Well lets just say they have had a warning or a nudge already!
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    I noticed this when browsing through the F@HStats site the other day and wondered what was going on then find this post the next day, heh. But yeah, I was kinda shocked to see so many of the machines classed as "Inactive" on the site.
  • Buddha16Buddha16 Austin, Tx Member
    edited October 2006
    well Ive been waiting on an addy to send out my SMx machine since God knows How long! Its been ready to go to a more suited owner for a LONG time since well I got engaged and dont have the room or time to host it. Iv'e even bought new corsair ram to put in it for the next owner

So what’s the deal with this?? Are we waiting for a drawing or some volunteers? If we need volunteers I can give her a home.

Just a thought.:thumbsup:
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited October 2006
    Gnome is exactly right. He and I have been communicating about this situation regularly and he has always been ready to do whatever he was directed to do. The fault is mine, not his.

As for the other rigs, aside from a little "normal" shuffling in the lineup leading to downtime for rigs, we have some Hosts who are simply not doing the job. Plain and simple. :-/
    edited October 2006
    Buddha16 wrote:
    So what’s the deal with this?? Are we waiting for a drawing or some volunteers? If we need volunteers I can give her a home.

I would be too, but I have 5 months to go...:bs:
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    I would be too, but I have 5 months to go...:bs:

Going from the amount of machines that go walkabout, that isn't a bad thing/
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited October 2006
    Wow, I had no idea this was a problem. Come on hosts, report in about your SMx box. Maybe we should check the forum usage of some of the hosts, to see when was the last time they logged into the forums? Maybe this will give us some kind of insight as to if they are even active with the community anymore, just a thought.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    SM28 was down for awhile, but I got a new OS on it, and got it up and running a couple of weeks ago. I know that it has finished at least one unit since then...
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    There is now a field in your user profile to enter the name of an SMx rig if you host one. Doing so will add a special "SMx Host" badge to your postbit. Hopefully that will get our hosts more of the recognition they deserve and serve as a constant reminder to keep those babies cranking :)
    edited October 2006
    There is now a field in your user profile to enter the name of an SMx rig if you host one.

Got mine!
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    There is now a field in your user profile to enter the name of an SMx rig if you host one. Doing so will add a special "SMx Host" badge to your postbit. Hopefully that will get our hosts more of the recognition they deserve and serve as a constant reminder to keep those babies cranking :)

Sweet! Thanks Keebs! :thumbsup:
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    All I need is a $10 router or hub or whatever and I'm in business again.

edit:\ I don't see that router listed at newegg anymore ...theres a sweet $30 one though.
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited October 2006
    Oh sweet, this is a nice little badge. Goodwork as always guys :)
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    csimon wrote:
    All I need is a $10 router or hub or whatever and I'm in business again.

edit:\ I don't see that router listed at newegg anymore ...theres a sweet $30 one though.

Best Buy has 4 port hubs on sale by Dynex, their in-store brand, for $20.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    I take great pride in SM21 being #1 in SMx points and give even a higher priority to it than my main rig to make sure she is running well always. It's a shame all these rigs are inactive, for any reason.
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited October 2006
    fatcat6 wrote:
    I take great pride in SM21 being #1 in SMx points and give even a higher priority to it than my main rig to make sure she is running well always. It's a shame all these rigs are inactive, for any reason.

I agree, idle SMX rigs are an ongoing problem. Unfortunatly, as a side effect, How many potential donors (money or parts) are we losing out on because of the donation potentially going to waste? An idle machine is nothing more than a paperweight, whether it's a computer or an excavator.