Completely Pathetic SMx stats

Comments

• GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    csimon wrote:
    All I need is a $10 router or hub or whatever and I'm in business again.

edit:\ I don't see that router listed at newegg anymore ...theres a sweet $30 one though.

I've got a spare 5-port 10base hub. You want?
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    I have a few old network switches around... but they're the 16- or 24-port kind... a little overkill...
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    She was down three times over the weekend due to power issues in our town. SM19 is running now but working on a crappy gromac and should be done today or tomorrow.
  • Buddha16Buddha16 Austin, Tx Member
    edited October 2006
    So cool, I like my new badge.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    24 port switches :) I could make good use fo those :)

I host Lan Parties and adding a few more tables would not hurt a bit :)
  • deicistdeicist Manchester, UK
    edited October 2006
    SM34 being down is entirely my fault. I admit I haven't being doing the job of a host very well recently because I didn't even realise she wasn't folding until adding my tag made me check the stats today. I've now uncovered a couple of issues which I hope to resolve today and then she'll be back up and folding. Sorry to let the team down guys :(
  • edited October 2006
    Hey Chris, I have a 5 port hub I can give to you to get that SMx rig back up on the net, man. It will have to be in a few weeks though as I just came back out to the rig's location Monday evening.
    edited October 2006
    24 port switches :) I could make good use fo those :)

I host Lan Parties and adding a few more tables would not hurt a bit :)

heh - another look, and I remember why I replaced them - they're 24-port hubs. :doh:
  • edited October 2006
    Here's a list of the downed machine's last work units turned in. I pulled these straight off of Stanford's stats pages.

SM14 (Icrontic14) - 2006-09-21 19:11:02
    SM15 (SM15_Folding_Frog) - 2006-08-14 18:14:05 ---That's been down longer than 50 days :shakehead
    SM16 (IC16-UK) - 2006-07-16 12:18:29 ---That's been down more than 50 days :shakehead
    SM17 - 2006-09-08 18:12:52
    SM22 - 2006-08-24 14:10:18
    SM26 - 2006-09-30 01:13:53
    SM28 - 2006-09-25 17:15:19
    SM30 - 2006-07-23 13:09:04 ---That's been down more than 50 days :shakehead
    SM31 - 2006-06-24 06:19:39 ---That's been down more than 50 days :shakehead
    SM32 - 2006-08-22 03:12:10 ---That's been down more than 50 days :shakehead
    SM34 - 2006-07-24 15:09:23 ---That's been down more than 50 days :shakehead
    SM35 - 2006-08-12 03:13:59 ---That's been down more than 50 days :shakehead

I see that a few of the hosts have replied to this thread so far and I hope that the others will contribute their explanations (or excuses) to this thread real soon. There is no reason IMO for a machine to be down more than 50 days without at least posting about their hosting problems or whatever their explanation is, without having to resort to a thread on the subject. :rant:
  • deicistdeicist Manchester, UK
    edited October 2006
    muddocktor wrote:
    Here's a list of the downed machine's last work units turned in. I pulled these straight off of Stanford's stats pages.

SM14 (Icrontic14) - 2006-09-21 19:11:02
    SM15 (SM15_Folding_Frog) - 2006-08-14 18:14:05 ---That's been down longer than 50 days :shakehead
    SM16 (IC16-UK) - 2006-07-16 12:18:29 ---That's been down more than 50 days :shakehead
    SM17 - 2006-09-08 18:12:52
    SM22 - 2006-08-24 14:10:18
    SM26 - 2006-09-30 01:13:53
    SM28 - 2006-09-25 17:15:19
    SM30 - 2006-07-23 13:09:04 ---That's been down more than 50 days :shakehead
    SM31 - 2006-06-24 06:19:39 ---That's been down more than 50 days :shakehead
    SM32 - 2006-08-22 03:12:10 ---That's been down more than 50 days :shakehead
    SM34 - 2006-07-24 15:09:23 ---That's been down more than 50 days :shakehead
    SM35 - 2006-08-12 03:13:59 ---That's been down more than 50 days :shakehead

I see that a few of the hosts have replied to this thread so far and I hope that the others will contribute their explanations (or excuses) to this thread real soon. There is no reason IMO for a machine to be down more than 50 days without at least posting about their hosting problems or whatever their explanation is, without having to resort to a thread on the subject. :rant:

Is it possible that the ones that have been down more than 50 days have the same problem I did? ie: because deadlineless work units ran out around that time, theey may be stalled trying to get units and unless you check your stats regularly (as, admittedly a host should do) you'd never know there was a problem. I'm not trying to make excuses, and I hold my hands up and say that yes, I've not really excelled myself as a host since I didn't notice Sm34 wasn't folding for 3 months.... but at least this might be some indication of what's happening.
  • edited October 2006
    That's a good possibility, deicist. And I am glad that you at least are a good enough host to admit that you haven't been monitoring the machine like you should have. Hopefully most of these machines are in the same boat and will get back folding again soon. :)
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    I believe that many hosts simply did not notice that deadlineless WUs stopped being handed out. We'll probably see a correlation between a drop in those hosts' own production around that time as well.
  • OrianeOriane Turn around.
    edited October 2006
    I've been here-with the deadlineless WUs- but it's been a while. Be sure to check your FAH logs and see if you have any finished WUs on the queue- this was a problem made worse by a cranky Server that would not accept WUs so you may have a bunch. You might be able to still get credit for them ....
  • DogDragonDogDragon Jacksonville, Fl Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    I just receided SM31 and she should be online by this weekend
    this is an update on SM31
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited October 2006
    Thanks for the updates guys. Now lets get some more of these boxes chewing on some wu's.
  • jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    This might be a stupid idea, but maybe all the SMx rigs should have a default ssh or vnc (can't remember if they are *nix or win) account on them... a default folding account that all of the rigs would have.

Then prime or one of the other gurus would have this username/pass. If the machine stopped folding for say more than 20 days they could remote into the machine and see what the hell is going on (or atleast try to). Now if the whole machine just isn't turned on this wouldn't help much. But it would solve the issue of folding getting hung up or just not working, especially since I know many of the rigs are not monitored on a regular basis and just kinda sit in the corner of the house or dorm room.

part of the agreement of hosting a smx rig would be you agree to have a vnc/ssh account on the machine...

just an idea
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    There would be lots of complications with that setup, though. For home users, getting a dynamic IP from their provider would be a pain - then we'd have to somehow get the host to tell us the IP every time, which at that point its just as easy to say "get it folding again", and then not to mention the tech support side of having to help 30+ different people set up port forwarding in 30+ different routers, etc.

Then, for those on college campuses, they may not even be able to have remote access, or if the machine is behind a router that the host doesn't have the rights to, etc.
  • jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    yeah thats a good point, everyone is behind routers these days.. scratch that idea heh

I guess if we don't get an update on some of these machines that have been MIA more than 50 days we might have to go 'knock on a few doors' eh? :bigggrin:

I had no idea so many rigs were just disappearing off the map like that. As a member that has been around ic/sm for easily 5 years I think that is just ludacris. Like deicist said, I could see maybe a technical problem holding things up for a bit...but 50 days... :mad2: i call BS!
  • Buddha16Buddha16 Austin, Tx Member
    edited October 2006
    I check on SM36 every now and again remotely using RDP. I keep track of my ever changing ip with No-IP. I have about 4 pc's on my router and alls i did was change the RDP listening port on each pc and bingo...i can log into each computer connected to the same router.

Prime if you want log in info for SM36 let me know.:wave:
    edited October 2006
    I know there are some .exe's out there that allow you to send mail from the command line.

Maybe we can get some sort of scheduled task going. Say, maybe every 24 hours:

check modified date of FAHinfo.txt
    if modified date is older than modified date of FAH-CHECKlog.txt, send email to owner
    save today's date/time to FAH-CHECKlog.txt
    wait 24 hours, then start over

nice and light...whatcha think?
  • chipatkinsonchipatkinson San Antonio Texas
    edited October 2006
    I've never volunteered to host a unit because I don't have the strong computer background y'all have. I have two computers in my house and both are folding. If you need a place to plug in a computer and keep it folding, I can certainly do that.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited October 2006
    I've never volunteered to host a unit because I don't have the strong computer background y'all have. I have two computers in my house and both are folding. If you need a place to plug in a computer and keep it folding, I can certainly do that.
    Anyone who is a regular member of this forum (like you!) can do this. Anytime a Host needs a little technical assistance it is only a forum post or a PM away.

We'd love to have you - and others like you - vie for a rig when we next offer one. :D
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    I know there are some .exe's out there that allow you to send mail from the command line.

Maybe we can get some sort of scheduled task going. Say, maybe every 24 hours:

check modified date of FAHinfo.txt
    if modified date is older than modified date of FAH-CHECKlog.txt, send email to owner
    save today's date/time to FAH-CHECKlog.txt
    wait 24 hours, then start over

nice and light...whatcha think?

Doesn't work if machine is dumping work units, or if the machine crashes. I'll be working on something this weekend.
    edited October 2006
    shwaip wrote:
    Doesn't work if machine is dumping work units, or if the machine crashes. I'll be working on something this weekend.

right. I suppose you could have it send an email on startup (SMx machines shouldn't boot too often...) but it doesn't fix the dump problem...
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    This won't be done this weekend. In the process of moving, I lost the OS drive for my linux box, and the cmos battery died on the mobo. I just got everything back up and running like it needs to be.

Unfortunately, I was going to use the smxstats codebase for this project, the most recent versions of which were also on that hd. :/
  • DogDragonDogDragon Jacksonville, Fl Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    Ok, sm31 inches closer to doing what she's suppose to.
    I hit acouple bumps in the way. But it's moving in the right direction.
    The next post in this thread will be from sm31, till than fold on
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited November 2006
    Damn this is pretty ****ing sad...

Use EM3....
    edited November 2006
    SM1 = Good
    SM2 = Dead (May-06) - PENDING Re-Issue
    SM3 = Good
    SM4 = Good
    SM5 = Good
    SM6 = Good
    SM7 = Good
    SM8 = Good
    SM9 = Good
    SM10 = Good
    SM11 = Good
    SM12 = Good
    SM13 = ??? (Oct-06) - Clutch, PM Sent.
    SM14 = Good
    SM15 = Good
    SM16 = Dead (Jul-06) - Necropolis, PM Sent.
    SM17 = Dead (Sep-06) - qparadox, PM Sent.
    SM18 = Good
    SM19 = Good
    SM20 = Good
    SM21 = Good
    SM22 = Good
    SM23 = Good
    SM24 = Good
    SM25 = ??? (Oct-06) - FoldingAddict in the midst of upgrade.
    SM26 = Good
    SM27 = Good
    SM28 = Dead (Sep-06) - CBDroege, Linux install troubles...
    SM29 = ??? (Oct-06) - DoctorGeo2008, PM Sent.
    SM30 = Dead (Jul-06) - csimon, Nudged for a new Switch. :D
    SM31 = Dead (Jun-06) - DogDragon, Just received it but PM Sent.
    SM32 = Dead (Aug-06) - mtgoat, Nudged...
    SM33 = Good
    SM34 = Good
    SM35 = Dead (Aug-06) - Liquid81, PM Sent.
    SM36 = Good
    edited November 2006
    Clutch and Geo have responded and are looking into it.... :thumbsup:
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited November 2006
    IC13 is still alive and kicking. Last turned in a WU on October 27th and is currently 62% into crunching on a 385 point Gromac as we speak. I keep EM3 running at all times and make sure IC13 is crunching on.