Case Opinions Requested

Comments

• MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited September 2006
    i actually won that case in the raffle at the sm-lan05 its not very well put together. side pannels are flimsey and it just feels like it should cost less than it does. ide go with the coolermaster cent5. usually 55 bucks on newegg sometimes you can catch it on sale for 45-50 or for free shipping.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited September 2006
    ' wrote:
    [v][AGIC']i actually won that case in the raffle at the sm-lan05...
    Which one? We've discussed about a dozen of them so far. :D
    edited October 2006
    the original case you posted, sorry.
    edited October 2006
    ' wrote:
    [v][AGIC']the original case you posted, sorry.
    Do the gauges on the front work as advertised?
    edited October 2006
    they do. kind of a hassle to get all the little sensors placed, but they worked.
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    If you need a power supply, look at the antec sonata 2, comes with a 450w smart power psu and it's a great case. 92mm fan that sits right over the cpu fan, 80mm that sits right over the video card, a 120mm at the back and a 120mm right behind the drives. But there's no window.
    edited October 2006
    Last one (I think):

Thermaltake Soprano VB1000WWS
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited October 2006
    edited October 2006
    lemonlime, if I wasn't so dead set on a side panel window I think I'd get that one. As it is, I'm having to reconsider not wanting to have to go modding one in by myself.

Oh, the agony of indecision! :crazy:
  • ShalimarShalimar Touching the Stars
    edited October 2006
    We currently have the following cases:

A: Antec 1088 AMGs, very good cooling. 120m exhaust & twin 80m inlets.

B: Antec 1080 AMGs, not as good in the cooling department as the above case. All 80m fans though this case gets a thumbs down from us.

C: Antec tx 605B i think it is, very good cooling again. 120m exhaust 2 80m inlets.

D: And the thermaltake Matrix cases, very good cooling, have a side window and 120m inlet + 120m exhaust.

A: C: D: is highly recommended, B: i would leave alone as it is not a very good case cooling wise.

Later
  • Datsun-1600Datsun-1600 Sydney.au
    edited October 2006
    profdlp wrote:
    Had the aluminium Thermaltake Tsunami, which is the same case, to change the PSU the top connections plate has to be removed, and breaks easily as it is plastic, the plastic bezel behind the door, one word, flimsy. Cooling is good with front and back 120mm fans, if you upgrade the rear fan to something that blows air, has a window. These days I shy away from Thermaltake.

Datsun 1600
  • edited October 2006
    profdlp wrote:
    Anyone have any experience with this case?

Anything better in that price range that you would recommend?

Prof, this case is on sale at newegg today, FYI
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    profdlp wrote:
    lemonlime, if I wasn't so dead set on a side panel window I think I'd get that one. As it is, I'm having to reconsider not wanting to have to go modding one in by myself.

Oh, the agony of indecision! :crazy:
    http://www.crazypc.com/products/casemods/windows.htm
    edited October 2006
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811119077
    side window, cheap, well built, COOLERMASTER ... what else could you want?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    Prof, you won't find a better value than that Centurian for that price. No way. I think you can stop looking now.
  • edited October 2006
    Heh, that's at least the 3rd Centurion case that he's been linked to (and I linked to it first :p ). But I don't guess that prof likes the layout or looks or something. I do know that I am really impressed with the build quality of my Coolermaster Praetorian RC730 case though. It's a more expensive aluminum case, but I imagine most of the extra cost is due to the use of all the aluminum in it compared to the Centurion.
    edited October 2006
    only problem i had with the praetorian is its narrow.
    edited October 2006
    How narrow? My HSF is one of those tall boys. :)

EDIT: Never mind, I looked it up. :p

This past week has been quite busy for me. I'm hoping to get this decided soon.

Thanks again for all of your help. :wave:
  • edited October 2006
    ' wrote:
    [v][AGIC']only problem i had with the praetorian is its narrow.

It's not so much the case is narrow as it's that the removable mobo tray eats up a bit of the available width. And I agree that it's a drawback, but there are ways around that. In other words, I should be posting some mods I have done to mine soon so that I could put the side on with the SI-120 and monster Delta GFB fan. I figure that I have a couple more days of work on it left; have to let the polyurethane dry for at least a day or so before finishing it out. ;)
    edited October 2006
    i wanna see
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    ' wrote:
    [v][AGIC']i wanna see

Ask and ye shall receive!
    edited October 2006
    Prof gets the sign. He toes the rubber, checks the runner at third, then delivers the pitch.

It's a sharp breaking curveball, and it looks like...

...a STRIKE! (Hopefully. :D )

Asking advice on a hardware purchase does not always have the result one expects. Fortunately, the outcome is often better than expected, too.

I guess what I was after when I started this thread was one of two outcomes.

Either:

1) Everyone would say that the case I linked to in my first post was wonderful, easing my mind as I went ahead and ordered it.

Or:

2) People would point out its shortcomings and recommend something better which would knock my socks off.

What I didn't anticipate was what really happened, though it seems so obvious now.

I started out with a rather feeble opening post. I didn't know it at the time, but I guess I wasn't quite sure to begin with what I really wanted in a new case. The points you all mentioned did much to help me focus on what I truly wanted to get. I also appreciate the advice given which has helped me avoid some less-than-desirable features I might not have noticed until it was too late. I'm on a really tight budget and probably won't get a "do over" on this anytime soon.

I finally decided to go with this baby. I really like the style, it has the fan configuration I was looking for, and the price was right. I also came to realize that I really wanted a front door to conceal my three-different-shades-of-beige DVD player, burner, and floppy drives.

Thanks a bunch to all who took time to respond - I greatly appreciate it. :cheers:
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited October 2006
    Cool deal. Let us know how the case works for you. :bigggrin:
  • edited October 2006
    While the case front isn't what I would pick for a case, it looks like it has a decent layout inside, prof. After all, looks are in the eye of the beholder. I did notice that it doesn't have an intake fan in the front, from the pictures posted at Newegg. Are you planning to add an intake fan in the lower front? That would help cool the hard drive area better, IMO.

The only other gripe I have about that case design applies to most any case in that price range. I like to have some open spaces on the side the mobo mounts to because I try to route cables behind it as much as possible to minimize clutter and improve airflow. But with some creative wire routing, you should still be able to get everything neat and out of the way.

I usually go ahead and assemble everything without taking time to do a real neat wiring job at first, and check and make sure everything is up and running correctly. Once I know that everything is good to go, I take the machine back over to my living room table then and take a bag of tie wraps and some diagonals. I then take all the wires off everything and start planning and executing my wire routing.
    edited October 2006
    muddocktor wrote:
    ...I did notice that it doesn't have an intake fan in the front, from the pictures posted at Newegg. Are you planning to add an intake fan in the lower front?
    Yep. Ordered an extra 120mm fan along with the case. :thumbsup:

I usually go ahead and assemble everything without taking time to do a real neat wiring job at first, and check and make sure everything is up and running correctly. Once I know that everything is good to go, I take the machine back over to my living room table then and take a bag of tie wraps and some diagonals. I then take all the wires off everything and start planning and executing my wire routing.
    That's exactly what I do. As I recall, when I did my current system it took me several hours to get it "just right". :D
  • edited October 2006
    Yeah, I also have this to look forward to next week when I transplant my new mobo purchase into my old Antec SX1040 case. I'll get everything up and running (hopefully) and then pull it back out and spend several quality hours with the computer, tie wraps and dikes in hand. :D
  • Buddha16Buddha16 Austin, Tx Member
    edited October 2006
    Cool case prof, i also have a NZXT case, the LEXA......I like it alot.:thumbsup:
  • lemonlimelemonlime Canada Member
    edited October 2006
    We want pics! :D

Glad you found one you like, prof!
    edited October 2006
    Just to follow up on this, I got the case and love it. It was easy to get everything installed and the three 120mm fans are as quiet as a whisper. They also have lowered my CPU temp by nearly 10C at full load (Folding - booyah!), so I may return to a little OC action.

A side benefit of the case window which I never considered is that I find myself much more conscious of cleaning out the dust bunnies. In a windowless case it's all too easy to forget about it until you see the temps go skyrocketing.

Thanks again to everyone who helped me reach a decision on this. :cheers:
  • edited November 2006
    I'm considering the same case to replace the boring case on my wife's system. Good to hear you like it.

I'm also going to replace my case but I need something with more room. Anyone have any thoughts on this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811112105