last question before I build my new pc

Admiral_AntAdmiral_Ant New york!
edited June 2003 in Hardware
okay guys, some of you may rember me asking for your help with building my new pc about 3 weeks ago on icrontic. Well, I was about to order it all today but I wanted to check one thing. I've got 2 westerndigital special edition drives that I want to use in addition to a cd burner and a dvd drive. Would you reccomend I get 2 SATA-to-Ide converters and use the serial controller on my a7n8x delux?

I just figured I would be better for the drives to each have their own channel, espesially when doing a cd copy or writing from one drive to another. Will this work out okay?
Sounds like is should to me...but you're the people I trust, any thoughts?

btw, thanks to all the help you guys gave in the last thread! Almost ready to buy this thing :D

Comments

• CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    You don't need to use the SATA at all if you don't want to. You can put both hard drives on a single IDE channel. They'll be fine. Keep your CD drives on a single channel together as well. I currently have 3 hard drives (2 on IDE, 1 on SATA) and 2 CD drives (Both on the same channel). It works just fine.
  • Admiral_AntAdmiral_Ant New york!
    edited June 2003
    I know they'd work as you said Trekky...but I always heard it was better to keep 'em seperate. Like I know that when I had my 2 hdds on this pc on the same channel, they copied to eachother horriblly slow, but that was fixed when I gave em their own channel, same goes for copying a cd from my dvd drive to my burner when their on the same channel.
    The big thing here is will I encounter many problems and such by using the Sata controllers? I tend to be parinoid with really new technology :)

Thanks again
    edited June 2003
    hmm, okay. But let's just say I was being dumb:p .... and wanted to use the adapters, does anyone forsee any problems?
    edited June 2003
    I foresee no problems. Make sure your HDD jumpers are set to master, though. It took me forever to figure that one out... :banghead:
    edited June 2003
    lol, gotcha....O man I can't wiat
    moving from ym curretn 800mhz p3, gf2gts, 768sdram and a 100gb WD special ed to
    xp3000+, 1gb of ddr333, an AiW radeon9700, a 120gb and the older 100gb special ed. wedsterndigitals. Along with some other good stuff. Can't wait.
    Doing 3d modeling and rendering on a 800mhz machine is pure torture!
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited June 2003
    I wish you the best of luck with your new system Admiral. Looks like you're going to be running one sweet system when it's all said and done. Any unused cpu cycles are going to be folding right? hehe
    edited June 2003
    Good pointing that one out, Clutch... We wouldn't want that beautiful machine going to waste. :cool:

//Edit: Misspelled "that." Don't ask...
  • jonojono Manchester, UK
    edited June 2003
    Make sure you use the latest drivers and bios updates if you go for serial ata.
    edited June 2003
    cool, thanks guys!
    and yes, folding may be part of it's future :)