Hey thermalfish

edited March 2007 in Folding@Home
You have been neck and neck with me since two weeks. I am going full throttle, how about you? Do you still have some more tricks up your sleeve? Race ya :)

http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_list.php?s=&srt=1&t=93

Comments

• the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    mirage wrote:
    You have been neck and neck with me since two weeks. I am going full throttle, how about you? Do you still have some more tricks up your sleeve? Race ya :)

http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_list.php?s=&srt=1&t=93

awww dannngggggggg, throwdown!
  • ThermalfishThermalfish Melbourne, Australia
    edited January 2007
    Hahah! My foot's flat to the floor. But dont think I havent noticed your dustcloud ahead.

I think just *maybe* I could coax a little more, especially if I bribe a few users with amber, bubbly fluid.

You have quite a lead though.
  • edited January 2007
    Hahah! My foot's flat to the floor. But dont think I havent noticed your dustcloud ahead.

I think just *maybe* I could coax a little more, especially if I bribe a few users with amber, bubbly fluid.

You have quite a lead though.

You are the only one catching me up. If you go like this I will need to surrender in a couple of days. :eek3:
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited January 2007
    GOSH... bribes.... Like that will work....

Does it? I should try that... :D
    edited January 2007
    Oh yee of little faith.

I meant nothing suspicious. I refer to "users" in this respect as workmates on our system who could have the service on their systems. Office machines running word and filemaker wouldnt even notice.
    edited January 2007
    I meant nothing suspicious. I refer to "users" in this respect as workmates on our system who could have the service on their systems. Office machines running word and filemaker wouldnt even notice.
    Yeah... I know. :D Just playing with you! :D

I do the same where I work. I talk with them and tell them I'll assist them whenever they need help... That's a bribe. :buck:
  • edited January 2007
    Oh yee of little faith.

The Linux cluster I administer is a little different. Since it is loaded above 95% most of the time, running FAH is useless. So, I can only use my rigs at our basement :( plus my desktop at work :)
  • edited February 2007
    Hey Thermalfish, what happened? Come on! It is no fun without racing you :D
    edited February 2007
    He's making you think he's fallen behind... he's drafting off you, ready to slingshot around you. :D
  • edited February 2007
    QCH2002 wrote:
    He's making you think he's fallen behind... he's drafting off you, ready to slingshot around you. :D

Cool! :cool2:
    edited February 2007
    Hahaha. YEAH! Thats exactly what Im doing.
    Sorry to spoil the fun, but blame some students! Someone has been going around and removing FAH stuff from the computers, halting folding and deleting precious WUs in progress!
    THE HORROR!
    Punishment will be merciless and lingering.

Be patient Mirage. I'll deal with you later :D
  • edited February 2007
    Sorry to spoil the fun, but blame some students! Someone has been going around and removing FAH stuff from the computers, halting folding and deleting precious WUs in progress!
    THE HORROR!

Heh heh, good kids! Did I mention that I was holding back two dual-cores because of the electric bill? Hurry up then, I can tell you that tide will change after winter.
    ;D;D;D
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    THE HORROR!

check my sig, push it back out via group policy. :D
    edited February 2007
    Appreciate that technocrat, cheers.

Alas, they are Dual G5 macosx workstations. But I'm working on some options.

Thanks again.
  • edited February 2007
    Joke aside, do users in MacOSX have administrator rights by default? Maybe you can run FAH as superuser and restrict the user rights. AFAIK, MacOSX is based on UNIX. Right?
    edited February 2007
    To be honest, there are several possibilities.

The real issue is the computers are being used by students studying digital film and audio engineering. Although the way FAH stuff works on MACOSX with sharing CPU resources is good, its still noticeable when using CPU and ram instensive applications like Final Cut Pro and Protools, and actually seems to break Cubase audio playback.

Not really fair on the poor guys. I totally understand the motive for removing the app from the system. I think Im going to have to make do with what I have, and just fire everything else up for weekends and holidays. Better than nothing.
  • edited February 2007
    To be honest, there are several possibilities.

The real issue is the computers are being used by students studying digital film and audio engineering. Although the way FAH stuff works on MACOSX with sharing CPU resources is good, its still noticeable when using CPU and ram instensive applications like Final Cut Pro and Protools, and actually seems to break Cubase audio playback.

Not really fair on the poor guys. I totally understand the motive for removing the app from the system. I think Im going to have to make do with what I have, and just fire everything else up for weekends and holidays. Better than nothing.

I am surprised to hear that FAH is interfering with the other jobs. Of course you are the expert on OSX. But in my Linux and Windows machines, FAH never interferes with anything if lowest priority is set and sufficient swap space is enabled. I would check the process priority and make sure it is the lowest priority as it should be. Also, I would check if there is sufficient swap space. Disabling the large memory jobs in FAH options might also help. Maybe I should reconsider my appreciation of OSX now.
    edited February 2007
    In my Windows environment, F@H DOES affect operation if F@H is set to 100%. Why? We run several patching and monitoring tools that run at Low Priority and conflict with F@H's low priority. I had to turn down F@H to 80% which would allow the scans and patching to initiate. After that, patches run at normal priority so F@H shuts down...

Other than that, F@H has not impacted my environment.
  • edited February 2007
    QCH2002 wrote:
    In my Windows environment, F@H DOES affect operation if F@H is set to 100%. Why? We run several patching and monitoring tools that run at Low Priority and conflict with F@H's low priority. I had to turn down F@H to 80% which would allow the scans and patching to initiate. After that, patches run at normal priority so F@H shuts down...

Other than that, F@H has not impacted my environment.

Yes, that could be a problem. Is it possible to increase the priority of the patching and monitoring tools one notch above the minimum but still lower than normal priority? Thermalfish was mentioning about the interference with user programs in the foreground though.
    edited February 2007
    I am not directly involved with the SMS group. I do not want to step on any toes by asking them to change things just for F@H. Right now I've been given permission to install F@H as long as it doe not impact normal operations.
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited February 2007
    I think Q's idea is worth trying. Even 50% FAH would be better than zilch. :)
  • OrianeOriane Turn around.
    edited February 2007
    FAH can also be greedy and stingy about memory. I don’t know a lot about video and audio editing, but I am quite familiar with how much resource it can consume. Think about it if there may still be complaints and issues.
    edited February 2007
    Well, its not like I am stopping folding! I just lose 60-odd CPUs *cringe*

Still have 16 or so folding 24/7.

I will look into lowering CPU and priority and guaging their impact in the coming week. Thanks for the suggestions everybody!
  • DonutDonut Maine New
    edited February 2007
    FWIW, One of the folders that posted at the folding forums some time ago, had to set folding up on a schedule. After hours and weekends only. (I think it was OC-AMD, I'm working of MY system memory and it's not always reliable:tongue:)
    edited March 2007
    Yup, Im organising a folding schedule
    Ive been FORCED to, watching gungor get further and further ahead. :D
  • edited March 2007
    Yup, Im organising a folding schedule
    Ive been FORCED to, watching gungor get further and further ahead. :D

I have been drifting away slowly but I am still not that far apart. And, the recent WinSMP release will not affect my PPD much because my main folding has been with Linux SMP already. You can catch me easily if you get back to your recent performance. But others who have recently started with WinSMP will be accelerating like crazy, so our exciting competition could be lost in their dust soon. Anyway, I am keeping two dual cores under cover for you, I may start them depending on the electric bill of March. Still race ya! :bigggrin:
    edited March 2007
    You're on, of course ;)

SMP for these dual PPC macs could be interesting....
  • edited March 2007
    SMP in PPC Macs should not be a lot of work. Actually it could be as trivial as a simple recompilation, given that SMP for Intel Macs already exists. You might need to raise your voice at folding-community forums for that to happen. I do not go there unless a link here leads me so there could be a discussion already happening on this topic.
    edited March 2007
    Well, the point is moot as of today.

No more folding on lab macintoshes. Might take a few more days folding to dribble down to the less-used systems, but Ill be down to about 12 CPUs this time next week.

Been nice while it lasted.
  • edited March 2007
    Sorry to hear that :( But let's see how 12 processors are doing, that is still a lot of computing power. Don't give up!