Streaming Audio Recording Problem

2»

Comments

• PterocarpousPterocarpous Rosie the Riveter Lives On in CA, USA! New
    edited January 2007
    Ahhh rats! That's what I was afraid of. Do definetly post back here and let us (me) know if you find a cure (or not). Still very interested in resolving this issue w/o having to add a sound card.

Good Luck!! :thumbsup:
  • edited January 2007
    I think this is mostly a driver issue, at least for the SigmaTel sound card that came with Dell. AFter going through the related threads and with some of my own experiments, I was finally able to get Stereo Mix come out. And I can record sound stream from music players. Unfortunately, I still cannot record sound streams from music player and microphone at the same time. But this is still a big step forward. At least now I am not considering buying an external sound card.

Basically it's about manually tuning the ini files in the driver installation files. Details could be found in the following threads:
    unable to post links, will see how to post it later

I would post back if I could solve the recording issue.

cais
    edited January 2007
    cais wrote:
    I think this is mostly a driver issue, at least for the SigmaTel sound card that came with Dell. AFter going through the related threads and with some of my own experiments, I was finally able to get Stereo Mix come out. And I can record sound stream from music players. Unfortunately, I still cannot record sound streams from music player and microphone at the same time. But this is still a big step forward. At least now I am not considering buying an external sound card.
    Basically it's about manually tuning the ini files in the driver installation files. Details could be found in the following threads:
    unable to post links, will see how to post it later
    I would post back if I could solve the recording issue.
    cais
    Thankyou cais. I sure would be interested in those INI file tweaks you spoke of. You can post a link here in such a way as the reader would have to reconstruct it if you like.

e.g. www.yahoo.com = w w w . y a h o o . c o m (a space in between each character in the URL)
  • edited January 2007
    OK. now I have fully settled the sound card problem.

The cannot-record problem that I mentioned earlier is solved. It is a simple setting problem. Just need to un-mute "Input Monitor" then everything works.

Since I am still not able to post links, details would be posted by Pterocarpous later.

cais
    edited January 2007
    For those researching a similar issue or who are otherwise interested in following this thread, following are some links that Cais has been so kind as to pass on to me to post here. (Cais is still in his/her probationary period and cannot post links yet. That'll pass quickly, Cais, just stick around and keep participating!) Thankyou for the links!! :smiles: (Oh, Yes! And congratulations on resolving your problem! :thumbsup:)
  • edited January 2007
    Hello there, I'm suffering the same problem Pterocarpous is having with his Asus board. I have previously enjoyed this simple luxury on ALL of the asus boards I have used previously and it is a big disapointment to find that this board isnt willing to cooperate:banghead:

I have exhausted all the different options with drivers etc. to no avail, really really hoping somebody comes up with a solution soon:respect: I dont want to install a pci card so I guess I'll just have to wait for that miracle driver update or something?

any updates? something:eek3: :eek3:

thanks
    edited January 2007
    rx7_ben wrote:
    Hello there, I'm suffering the same problem Pterocarpous is having with his Asus board. I have previously enjoyed this simple luxury on ALL of the asus boards I have used previously and it is a big disapointment to find that this board isnt willing to cooperate:banghead:

I have exhausted all the different options with drivers etc. to no avail, really really hoping somebody comes up with a solution soon:respect: I dont want to install a pci card so I guess I'll just have to wait for that miracle driver update or something?

any updates? something:eek3: :eek3:

thanks
    Hi rx7_ben. Welcome to Short Media!

Sorry, nothin' yet. :sad2: Looks like a (VIA) chipset issue. I've sworn off VIA as a result of this and other problems I've had w/ the motherboard. We don't close our threads here (except for in the Spyware forum) so come on back if you ever run across a solution that doesn't require installing an expansion card.

Why dontcha stick around anyway? We're a friendly bunch. :bigggrin:
  • nonstop301nonstop301 51° 27' 24.87" N // 0° 11' 38.91" W Member
    edited January 2007
    I don't have HD audio in the current computer I'm using but have you tried what is outlined here in the Mixer section of the Realtek High Definition Sound Effect Manager control screens ?

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/genericDocument?docname=c00377375&cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&jumpid=reg_R1002_USEN
    edited January 2007
    nonstop301 wrote:
    I don't have HD audio in the current computer I'm using but have you tried what is outlined here in the Mixer section of the Realtek High Definition Sound Effect Manager control screens ?...
    Hi nonstop301. Thankyou for the suggestion. I tried there, too. Unfortunately, the sound effects manager works off of what the chipset & drivers make available. The core issue is that there's no "Mixer" input option. That's the option that is needed for "what-you-hear" recording - e.g. streaming audio. :sad2:
  • edited January 2007

Back to takin' a look at ARWizard3......

Hi everyone! I have that integrated Realtek HD Audio on my new PC too.

That ARWizard3 program won't do it either. The options come up with the usual Line In, Mic, Front Mic, and CD.

The only program I have found that will do the job is a program called TOTAL RECORDER. (oops, can't add links! Just squish it together and add a dot com)

I tested the trial version and it works fine, but I'm thinking a new sound card might be best for me.
    edited January 2007
    deuce wrote:
    ...I have that integrated Realtek HD Audio on my new PC too...That ARWizard3 program won't do it either. The options come up with the usual Line In, Mic, Front Mic, and CD...The only program I have found that will do the job is a program called TOTAL RECORDER. (oops, can't add links! Just squish it together and add a dot com)...I tested the trial version and it works fine, but I'm thinking a new sound card might be best for me...
    Hi Deuce! Welcome to Short Media!

Thankyou for your info. re: Total Recorder. HERE's the link to that program for those who would like to check it out. It's produced by a company called HighCriteria. The last update was just this past December to ver 6.1. It's only $17.95US and might be a great alternative for those who do not wish to (or don't have a slot available to) add a sound card to their system.
    Here's HighCriteria's pitch for Total Recorder:
    Total Recorder is a unique solution for recording streaming audio. Most recording programs, rely on the sound card to feedback what has been played. For these solutions, your sound card must have "Stereo Mix" or "What You Hear" recording sources....

That's exactly what the problem has been w/ the Realtek HD audio...

...Instead of relying on the sound card, Total Recorder captures the sound stream directly from Windows, before the audio goes to the sound card. This unique approach eliminates multiple conversions that occur with other types of solutions. The Total Recorder solution also eliminates the need for a "what-you-hear" type sound card.
    How Total Recorder Captures The Sound Stream
    Total Recorder uses a virtual sound driver to capture the sound output from other programs like Real Audio and Windows Media Player. By installing the driver, and setting it as the default, different sound reproducing programs send their output stream to Total Recorder's driver and not to the driver of a real device. Total Recorder then passes the information to the sound card driver...

Sounds like the ticket! I'll check that out... :D

Thanx again, Deuce! :thumbsup:
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited January 2007
    I'm glad I read this thread. I had the same prob. I listen to comedy progs streamed from BBC Radio 4 but sound recorder just ignored them. I had the Realtek AC97 and the stereo mix option with my Asus board. After reading through this thread I went to device manager and let windows update the sound drivers, which it did, to Nvidia drivers. Then I went into audio properties, record, checked select under stereo mix and it works. Now I can record streaming audio. Neat.
    edited January 2007
    bothered wrote:
    I'm glad I read this thread. I had the same prob. I listen to comedy progs streamed from BBC Radio 4 but sound recorder just ignored them. I had the Realtek AC97 and the stereo mix option with my Asus board. After reading through this thread I went to device manager and let windows update the sound drivers, which it did, to Nvidia drivers. Then I went into audio properties, record, checked select under stereo mix and it works. Now I can record streaming audio. Neat.
    Glad it helped, bothered. I have AC97 on my other system and haven't had any problems w/ recording streaming audio on that one. (It has the MIXER option.) Looks like you just needed a good ol' drivers update. :smiles:
  • billymoralesbillymorales Bronx, New York
    edited December 2008
    Problem recording music using HD Audio?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    Go to the control panel, pick sound and audio devices (the speaker picture), then go to the voice tab, then pick voice recording (microphone picture) then to volume box, click it.<o:p></o:p>
    Go to the stereo mix volume control mute box and uncheck it.<o:p></o:p>
    By doing this procedure this will allow you to record from a recording program.<o:p></o:p>
    <o:p> </o:p>