What's your internet speed?

Comments

• RobRob Detroit, MI
    edited January 2007
    I need an explanation please. NOW!

Well, look at the numbers. It's only a fraction of my network, and it was the fastest test location (chicago) Most of the others only hit 15M or so down and crappy uploads. The leak link isn't here.....
  • sfleurietsfleuriet Texas New
    edited January 2007
    What sort of network are you on? Thats what I was wondering.
  • RobRob Detroit, MI
    edited January 2007
    sfleuriet wrote:
    What sort of network are you on? Thats what I was wondering.

100M ether drop off multiple carrier fiber links. Big pipe stuff, only takes a couple minutes to download complete CD's I like it, makes working faster. It's only a few grand a month :tongue:
  • trolltroll Windsor, Nova Scotia Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    17636.png
  • CrunchieCrunchie Mandurah. Western Australia. Member
    edited February 2007
  • csimoncsimon Acadiana Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    Download Speed: 7786 kbps (973.3 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 550 kbps (68.8 KB/sec transfer rate)

Dallas!
    Cox high speed cable $40 per month
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    86549884.png
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    Download Speed: 2558 kbps (319.8 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 434 kbps (54.3 KB/sec transfer rate)

Have SBC/AT&T/Cingular or whatever they are calling themselves this week. Pay 32.57 per month before taxes for 3Mb/512K

I am about to dropkick AT&T and move over to Grande Communications which will be slower (1.5Mb/384K), but I will sleep easier at night knowing that I am not giving AT&T any money.

Grande owns the lines and will provide the service for only $19.99, plus they are the only company I've found that doesn't lie to you about "phone service being required for dsl"

WE NEED TO IMPEACH THE FCC and split AT&T up again.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    Time Warner Road Runner (7Mbps) $44/month I think.

I live in Dallas so I tested to Dallas and got 6088Kbps down and 488Kbps up, the second time around I got 6468Kbps down and 534Kbps up. Someone in my neighborhood requires a spanking.
  • the_technocratthe_technocrat IC-MotY1 Indy Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    Here's from the school I'm at right now - I get better dl at home! :D

86655519.png
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    :eek2: I think Leishi needs to share some of his bandwidth

mine few mins ago...
    96668650.png
  • MrBillMrBill Missouri Member
    edited March 2007
    96676159.png
  • MedlockMedlock Miramar, Florida Member
    edited March 2007
    Paying for a 6 meg DSL line

96829798.png

EDIT: Forgot I had that in the sig :aol:
    edited March 2007
    96892559.png

Upload is a little lower than usual... weird. But we pay $17.99/mo for this great speed! :cool: My ping seems super fast compared to some of the others that have been posted. I think they say I'm 8000ft from the nearest station which is not too far, not too close, but right in the target zone.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    Paying for a 5 meg cable line.

97038593.png
  • RobRob Detroit, MI
    edited March 2007
    I don't know why I like playing with speed tests so much....

But anyway, an interesting look at file compression and perceived network speed.

Comcast in MI. The downloads are dog slow because I just haven't gotten the MTU for the tunnel set quite right I think. It's the upload that interests me.

97337875.png

And the same machine, same time, without compression without using the tunnel.

97339600.png
  • muulimuuli Finland
    edited March 2007
    Download Speed: 1764 kbps (220.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 431 kbps (53.9 KB/sec transfer rate)
  • djshowdowndjshowdown London
    edited August 2007
    ive just signed up for virgin media's 20mb cable service

so far i have mixed feelings

last night i got this

163314174.png

now i get this

163802338.png

apparently slow speeds are a temporary problem at the moment for some of their 20 mb customers. they say they are aware of it and that they are working to resolve it asap

i wasnt told this when i signed up

i feel slightly cheated

anybody else had similar problems with virgin?
    edited August 2007
    Wow how much do you pay for that?

163814952.png
    edited August 2007
    £29 a month

but its been very inconsistent

my results vary from 15mb connection to the equivalent of a 1mb connection

its very random

and the upload speed is pretty crap i think
  • TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    Rogers Cable, $44/mth.

163821169.png
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    Why don't they just give you a fiber line. Good lord. Isn't that approaching the limits of cable?
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited August 2007
    djshowdown wrote:
    ive just signed up for virgin media's 20mb cable service

so far i have mixed feelings

anybody else had similar problems with virgin?

I have been with them for years. Their customer support used to be diabolical, now it's not too bad. There have been a few times when, if you phone and get an 'Asian call center', you might as well ask your cat, but get through to the right person and they can be quite helpful. I'm on the 10meg and its quite consistent really. Very few problems but it can be frustrating when you do have one. I heard Richard Branson refused to allow them to use the Virgin name until they sorted out the terrible CS, for the most part they seem to have done it.
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited August 2007
    Hmmm, We are on a VIP package which includes 'XL' broadband internet. According to Virgins site we automatically get the 20meg. Just ran the same speed test and got this. I wonder if it's the same problem or does out modem need an upgrade?
  • edited August 2007
    Virgin users should read this.

I was under the impression this was common knowledge. Virgin certainly don't hide it although some sales people lie.
    edited August 2007
    yeah thats fair enough

but its still shouldnt result in the crap upstream that im getting

im clearly not even being capped at the time of the speed tests because the downstream is fine

very disappointing especially as one of the reasons i joined virgin was so i could buy and xbox and play online

which i can now do, except i cant host a room with more than like 6 players, yet my friend who has 8 meg sky adsl can host a room with 12 people no problem

very annoying
  • TBonZTBonZ Ottawa, ON Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    Good lord. Isn't that approaching the limits of cable?

Could be, that's the service that was here when I moved but I'll say that it's been a rock-solid connection for the 8 months that I will have lived here. Moving to a new place in Sept, I'll shop around for a new connection on my own.
  • edited August 2007
    Your speed seems spot on for the advertised upload of 768Kb

Not many ISPs will go over that, one of the few I know of is Be with a 1.2mb upload using ADSL2+

The most you would get out of an 8mb package (presuming we're talking BT Wholesale products) is 832Kb and that would be on an office package. The home packages run at 448Kb

Not to mention the overheads on cable are smaller meaning your upload should end up being faster than a DSL equivalent anyway.

Just for reference here is my ADSL2+ connection. Currently synching at 8,120 down and 1,278 up

164474634.png

So you're not doing badly at all :)
  • Buddha16Buddha16 Austin, Tx Member
    edited August 2007
    My internet has been down at home so i hooked up my sprint phone as a modem and here are my stats.......crazy:screwy:

With Speakeasy
    Last Result:
    Download Speed: 192 kbps (24 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 128 kbps (16 KB/sec transfer rate)

and with speedtest.com
    164511426.png
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2007
    Mine are highly variable, depending on which testing service I use and in what location the testing server resides.

Down: from 820 to 9500 -- yes, that much difference!
    Up: 250 to 380

Ironically my best time was through New York (Speakeasy), which was one of the farthest locations from me at 3354 miles. The slowest was the closest server to me, Speedtest.net in Prince Rupert, Canada.