Linksys router can't access 198.162.1.1

edited October 2011 in Science & Tech
Hi

I am trying to forward some ports for bit torrent use. I am running on cable going into a linksys BEFSR41 router and then out into 3 seperate computers

I have gained a static address like www.portforward.com says so but i cant access my router settings http://192.168.1.1

Therefore i cannot forward my ports

please help, does this mean as i cant access it that the firewall in the router is down too?

Comments

• ArmoArmo Mr. Nice Guy Is Dead,Only Aqua Remains Member
    edited January 2005
    have you tired the reset button on the back? also if you unplug a linksys router for about 2 minutes it will reset it. I'd give that a try
  • AranyicAranyic Casstown, OH Icrontian
    edited January 2005
    First thing is what is the static ip that you are using? Make sure it is 192.168.1.something with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 so that you are on the same network as the router.

Question 2, can the computers using dhcp access the routers setup utilities?
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited January 2005
    Start menu-> Run -> Type "cmd" (without the quotes) and a black window will open.

In that window type: "ipconfig" (without the quotes) and then hit enter.

Look for the "Default Gateway" entry. That is the address you need to type into your web browser to access the router config. :)
  • profdlpprofdlp The Holy City Of Westlake, Ohio
    edited January 2005
    Are you getting a red screen with a warning message? If so, that is some of WinXP's SP2 security stuff "helping" you. I have the same router and had the problem I just described. If this sounds familiar just holler and I'll tell you what I did to fix it.
  • edited January 2005
    big thanks guys, especially to shorty!

i accessed my router forwarded certain ports and now my torrents (can i say that word round here!?) are all green, if anyone uses ABC can they share any tips?
  • edited February 2007
    Shorty,

when I get to the user / password screen, I type in the default password 'admin' and leave the user screen blank as per the instructions to access the web based setup utility...in order to change / update dmin functions. This is a brand new setup of a Lynksys router done by a complete novice (me) using the setup wizard.

Thanks for any help...

Paul
  • mtroxmtrox Minnesota
    edited February 2007
    Paul,

I started your own thread over here.

http://www.short-media.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54512

If you're still having problems we'll get you help in your own thread.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    Linksys is 192.168.1.1, isn't it? I'm not at home right now so I can't check mine.
  • mtroxmtrox Minnesota
    edited February 2007
    Yea I saw that too. I addressed it over in the new thread I made. You're not going dyslexic....
  • edited February 2007
    Thanks guys, heading over there..and yes, I had the # wrong in my post...now lessee if I fried that wrong # in practice.

Paul
  • edited March 2010
    profdlp wrote:
    Are you getting a red screen with a warning message? If so, that is some of WinXP's SP2 security stuff "helping" you. I have the same router and had the problem I just described. If this sounds familiar just holler and I'll tell you what I did to fix it.

yes i am gettin that red screen u are describing, can u plz help me/
  • will_megaswill_megas East Texas
    edited October 2011
    When I was in the setting at first, I put a check in for "wireless isolation," and deleted the check to "SSID Broadcasting." now I can't get back to www.routerlogin.net.

I used the actual ip address in the url line, and it ask for the login name and password.

I have used admin for login name and password for the password;
    left login name blank and used admin for the password;
    used admin for the login name, and left password box empty;
    used admin for login name and password;

still nothing happens. I am stuck on the screen where it asks for login name and password.

please help me. My 482 days for my netgear warranty has expired, and suddenlink doesn't support any 3rd party routers. It took a kind agent in tech support to help me realize that the 10mbps plan that I was on, is now about 4 bucks cheaper. Otherwise, their customer service department would have just said nothing.

other thing, its saying "level 15 access"
  • I dont come in to the Linksys WRT54G router, i tried with username admin and password admin and all this other usernames and passwords, what should I do? Plz answere.
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    Try nothing in the username (blank) and password admin
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    For future reference: http://www.routerpasswords.com/