R9700 problem

kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
edited June 2003 in Hardware
Why is it that I always have to RMA to newegg in order to get something that works? happened with my last vid card too :mad:

I get this card on friday, it's the atlantis saphire non-pro, came in a plain white box. it did not come with the power cable though. Now the metal thing that screws on to the case, what do you call that anyhow, it was bent on the bottom, i'd say about 20 degrees, so right away i'm like uh-oh. I plug it in, turn the computer on and she don't post right, it takes like 5 seconds, and then one long beep. if i reset it, it boots and windows loads, however, it crashes and the screen is all jacked-up and only a reset gets me back. I did get it to make it through a 3dmark2k1 run and it scored 8851, wtf? also, I installed rage3d tweak and it says the card is clocked at 325/310 which is pro speed, but this card isn't supposed to be a pro. I'm guessing some dude flashed his bios and screwed it up and RMA'd it and i ended up with it.

So before I RMA it, I just have question, although i'm prettty sure I already know the answer. The power cable, I mean power is power right, but is that power cable required? I have it running off an extra floppy power connector, it's the same thing no?

Lastly, newegg will credit me $198 if I want instead, so am I better off with a 9600 pro instead of a 9700 non-pro?

Comments

• TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    The power is needed for sure Kanez and it doesnt matter if you take an extra from the psu or converted from a floppy. It´s all 12V anyway. If i where you, i would take that money, and try getting an extra 50 bucks and buy the 9700 Pro where it is cheapest. However, IF you can get your hands on a 9500 PRO, get that, its almost the same actually but cost half of the 9700 Pro. Thing is that it´s not manufactured anymore, thats why it´s tough to get hold of.
  • kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    they are willing to refund me $198. I'm not a benchmark freak, I just want a kick-ass vid card, that's why I'm ok with the 9700 non pro.
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited June 2003
    Im not a "benchy" either. Infact, i have never even tried to overclock my 9700 Pro but it kicks butt in gaming. Just my 2c, thats all