How many restore cds come with EMachine t6216? I have one but i think i need another

bigjohnson_akbigjohnson_ak Alaska
edited March 2007 in Science & Tech
EMachine T6216
:confused: Just got comp back from compusa. It had hard drive
replaced and a destructive system restore. Now i cant connect to the
internet, I called my ISP provider and we tried everything he could
think of to get my service back. my D drive doesnt seem to exist any
more and it seems like i'm missing drives. For example I cant find my
NVIDIA drives, when i go into device manager theres not even a "display
driver" slot(not sure if thats the right term) When i go to add/remove
programs the only thing listed is ADOBE reader and Windows back up
utility. I remeber having more stuff when i turned the computer on for
the first time(right after i bought it). It took them three weeks just
to get my computer fixed and now its in this condition. I really dont
want to take it back for more repairs, can someone try to help? :D

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2007
    What operating system disk do you have? Your Windows disk, is it on a Microsoft CD, or is it a Dell or HP (whatever brand the computer) "restore" CD?
  • bigjohnson_akbigjohnson_ak Alaska
    edited February 2007
    Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition.Restore disk that came with computer was used. (emachines) System restore CD/DVD
    edited March 2007
    The Windows part of the restore should be only one CD. I have no idea what software is shipped with eMachines, but the Windows restore will be on a single CD. I wouldn't worry about the other stuff. Most free stuff that comes with store-bought computers is junk anyway. You said your D:\ drive doesn't show up. Do you mean your CD/DVD drive is not seen in My Computer? If that's what you meant, can your CD drive still play CDs?

I'm a bit confused by the phrase, "I cant find my NVIDIA drives." I think you mean drivers, yes?

(Oh, by the way, please don't start more than one thread on the same topic. I know have a messed up computer is stressful. Trust me, I've been there before!)
    edited March 2007
    Yes i meant drivers, (sorry still coming into my own with these computers) and with the D drive, there used to be a recovery drive(named D) right next to my C drive in the My Computer box, now its just cd/dvd and its underneath the C drive with all th other removable drives (J,K,L. does this make any sense? and i agree with you about replacing the stock stuff that came with the comp, i can do most of that. My main concern is not connecting to the internet( I bought a laptop and i need my desktop working so me and my wife can save azroth from the burning legion!)
    P.S. sorry about the extra thread my original plan was to link two together but i cant figure out how. maybe u could drop me a clue. And what the heck is all this talk about folding? I know its probly a stupid question but i cant figure it out
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2007
    Emachines come with the operating system CD. You need to make the drivers/applications CD manually when the computer is first removed from the box.
    edited March 2007
    Thrax, it's been ages (1995) since I've used an OEM restore CD. I'm thinking Johnson's best bet is just to run the restore, to let Windows automatically install his drivers and designate his hard drive and CD/DVD drive? In other words, I need some help assisting Johnson here.
    edited March 2007
    The restore CD is, typically, not a whole lot more than a standard XP OEM CD with an Emachine label on it, though there are some notable exceptions on some models.

Without the driver disk having been created, he's going to have to grab all the drivers manually from emachines.com and install them himself. All drive assignments will, of course, be taken care of by the Windows installer.
    edited March 2007
    Sorry, I was not precise. Let's try again. It seems like with an eMachines, the drivers required should all be fairly standard, shouldn't they. I mean, it's not going to have obscure RAID drivers or baffling sound card drivers. Shouldn't his restore CD have most, if not all the necessary drivers from the Windows component of the restore CD? And what's not on the Windows load should be readily available from Microsoft when he performs Windows Update? See, I just find it really strange that it came back from CompUSA without all of that straight.

Johnson, are still hanging with us here?
    edited March 2007
    Again, the drivers and applications for eMachine PCs are not included on the restore CD. Those files reside on a CD that must be created separately (Called the eMachine Driver and Application Recovery CD) via a program located in the Start Menu when the PC is first taken out of its OEM box.

Depending on the age of the eMachine, Windows Update will most likely not have the drivers. If it's a very new eMachine, neither will the eM website. :\
    edited March 2007
    OUCH! I guess we'll have to walk Johnson through the process of identifying hardware and procuring drivers for same. Thrax, with your knowledge of retail service of computers, do you think that Johnson should return his computer to CompUSA? Do you think they owe him more service? I am NOT suggesting CompUSA did not perform the service for which they were paid, as I don't know the details of the service order.
    edited March 2007
    Generally speaking, restoring an OS at the service center goes above and beyond the call of duty for most retailers. Best Buy, Microcenter, CompUSA.. They all ship PCs back from their service centers with blank hard drives. There are subtle variations on what happens once those products return to the store and are in the hands of in-store techs (Like Geek Squad or Firedog), such as Best Buy restoring it for free <i>only</i> if restore CDs are provided, but it's all some derivative of that.

If it went out <i>just</i> for hardware repair/replacement, more likely than not, OS recovery wasn't part of the deal (Annoying, I know).

Thankfully, however, the T6216 is a fairly recent model (The 6xxx series is 2004 on), and all the drivers for it are located on the eM website.
    edited March 2007
    Thanks, Thrax. That's kind of what I figured.

Johnson, are you still with us, buddy? I think we can get your machine back in order.
    edited March 2007
    all the drivers for it are located on the eM website
    So when did eMachines wake up and decide they wanted to stay in business, to actually encourage repeat buyers? No really, it looks like they have improved.
    edited March 2007
    Thanks for the info guys, im gonna take it back. They messed it up good cuz now its freezing on me. I contacted Emachine and told him what was going and he just sent me the same exact restore cd that i had to begin with(not much help) and it started making a real loud noise from the disk drive when it booted up and then it froze, so im taking it bak in like 30 min. thank for the input though, you guys are better than the tech guys ive been talkin to.