amd athlon 64 overclock

RiddickRiddick Malaysia Icrontian
edited April 2007 in Hardware
hey guys

just oced my pc and am having weird problems. its an amd athlon 64 3200+ (winchester) 2.0 @ 2.4 Ghz 1.52vcore on a Gigabyte k8nf-9. the funny thing is, ocassionally when i restart or shutdown the pc, it gets stuck at the POSTing screen. it beeps, but doesnt detect my IDE hdd + cdrom and just stops. after a few tries and/or repeatedly tinkering with ram timings (though i think this isnt the fix because sometimes it boots into windows at ddr400 speed with tight timings[2.5,4,3], but wont at ddr333 with loose timings[3,4,4]) it would suddenly work.

ive upped the voltage to the chipset, ram and HT controller by 0.1v but still the same result. when it DOES get into windows, everything is solid stable, regardless of ram speed/timing (at least with casual gaming and 24/7 folding anyway). the calculated HT bus is 4x240x2=1920mhz and should still be within safe limits

2 things i can think of are that 1. my ram modules are not identical and have different speed ratings (1x 512 ddr400 + 1x 512mb ddr333 kingston valuerams) and 2. my psu isnt all that great, just a cheap 420w icute psu

any ideas?

Comments

• mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited April 2007
    Do you happen to have a voltage meter to see what your 12V, 5V, and 3.3V rails are? Software readings are often wrong.
  • RiddickRiddick Malaysia Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    nope.. well ill just put what speedfan tells me anyway

3.3v and 12v rails are relatively constant at 3.31v and 11.90v respectively. 5v rail fluctuates alot 3-5v
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited April 2007
    Your 5v rails fluctuate from 3v to 5v? And 11.9 is on the low side, still within specs but could be better.

That fluctuating 5v could cause some problems, esp with a FSB OC and increased draw from your memory. Although I dont think that would cause problems upon booting and it not seeing your HDD/CD ROMs.

Do you have the latest BIOS for that motherboard?
  • RiddickRiddick Malaysia Icrontian
    edited April 2007
    yeah according to speedfan :S
    so far i havent experienced anything else, like i said once its in windows its alright already. yeah award bios version F11 dated jan 06