Vista/Windows defender blocks start up programs

mtroxmtrox Minnesota
edited May 2007 in Science & Tech
I Googled this, but have had to Google Vista stuff way too much. Anyone know how I can set Windows Defender to allow a start up program Defender doesn't know about? In particular, RivaTuner. Everytime I reboot I have to tell Vista it's OK. I don't see how I make a permanent change.

Vista is driving this computer, I'm not.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    My solution was to disable defender. Because it sucks.
  • mtroxmtrox Minnesota
    edited May 2007
    Yep, it do suck. But I'm trying to keep parts of this Vista box as stock as possible (I still have UAC on too) so when I do phone support I can see what they're seeing.

Why does Microsoft block programs and not give me the options to unblock them?

'no idea.
  • MissilemanMissileman Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    Control Panel -> Defender -> Tools -> Quarantined items or Allowed items.

Depends on which way you want to go.

Also if you join Spynet and change settings to advanced it will ask you about allow or block with a tray icon instead of auto choosing.
  • mtroxmtrox Minnesota
    edited May 2007
    Done all that Missleman. There are no apps listed in either Allowed or Quarantined. And yes I am a proud member of the Spynet Advanced. That didn't help me either.

I pull up Software Explorer and RivaTuner is "unclassified". The Remove, Disable and Enable buttons to the right are all grayed out.

But.....Windows is defended.
  • MissilemanMissileman Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    What about under options. Way down to the bottom there are some settings about when and what to notify/allow. You might play with them a bit.

I haven't had any real issues with Defender except with running the Intel Control Center. Everytime I start it to make a clock change it makes me approve 2 items. For the 200th time. And they don't show up under the allowed either come to think of it. :scratch:
  • mtroxmtrox Minnesota
    edited May 2007
    Yea it sure looks to me as though those settings at the bottom of Options have to do with scanning, and whether or not they notify you before they kill "intruders" found in a scan. I've changed permissions in RivaTuner, changed to Run As Administrator, changed em all back....but I should just be able to control my own d--n computer.