Short-Media.com: 6.2.03 - 6.2.07

LincLinc OwnerDetroit Icrontian
edited August 2007 in Science & Tech
Four years after opening our digital doors, Short-Media.com is pleased to announce that a major change is imminent: Next week, the name of the site will be changed.

<a href='/may24'>Watch the Flash video announcement</a> (with sound, 480KB, under 2 min.) or <a href='/may24/may24.exe'>download the exe</a> (Windows Projector, 2.8 MB).

The full announcement will follow in the next post.

Comments

• LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    On June 2, Short-Media and Icrontic will be merged into a single site under the Icrontic name and domain. All forum data will, of course, be preserved and merged.

If you never knew Icrontic, you're not in the minority, so a history of the sites <strike>will soon be</strike> is now online to explain their connection.

Let's talk particulars.

First, forum accounts will be merged by e-mail address. If you have accounts on both sites, PLEASE take the time to make sure your e-mail address is the same for both before June 1. Your Short-Media username, password, and profile settings will take precedence, so act accordingly. We're happy to alter names as necessary. If you get to this late, we can also manually merge accounts afterward, but please help us out by checking beforehand.

Second, the four active Icrontic staff members (Aranyic, LIN, Zuntar, and yagga) will be joining us in our virtual Conference Room to offer their perspectives and ideas as we move forward. We're glad to have them on board!

Third, threads from the current Icrontic forums will likely be reassigned ID numbers. That means bookmarks to current IC threads will stop working. Sorry, nothing I can do about that. All current links on Short-Media (including articles and news) will continue to work and will be forwarded appropriately. We expect this move will have zero effect on search engine rankings and such.

Fourth, both forums will be down for up to an hour on Saturday, June 2 while we merge the databases and confirm the results. The time it begins will depend on several things (mostly my sleeping schedule).

Why are we doing this?

Our primary reason was branding. The Short-Media name has weaknesses that I won't spell out, but there are several. If ever there was an obvious first choice for a strong alternative name, Icrontic is clearly that. Of course there's a nostalgia factor, but we won't be dwelling on the past. We are years past when the name "Icrontic" alone would provide us strength and momentum. We're going to be relying on our own works and deeds to move us forward.

The third reason for me, personally, is a fresh start. It represents both the goal I've been working toward for the last month (in a development and planning mindset) and a new set of goals for the future (in a content-production mindset). The last two years have seen this site plateau and begin to decline. That's the hard truth. Now, it's time to halt and reverse that trend. I'm ready, and the name change provides an impetus to begin that reversal.

Icrontic is a part of our past, and now it is our future as well. Whether you were there when it fell in 2003, joined during the last four years, or only signed up last week, we hope you'll be a part of that future.

It's looking bright.
  • AranyicAranyic Casstown, OH Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    It's way past my bedtime so I won't ramble like I normally would when I'm tired . But I am extremely excited about the merge; I have been with Icrontic (apu's hardware long ago) for about 13 years now as best as I can remember. There have been ups and down, I have been involved in staff of it for probably 10 years starting with simply transferring posts from the forums to a faq system way back. A few years ago when Icrontic went up for sale again I grabbed it so it didn't become an advertisement site but didn't really have the time nor desire to put towards it as I look back now.

I feel like Icrontic is finally home and I could not be happier with the future for it. I have zero doubt that it and short-media will flourish and grow again and look forward to being around for it. For anyone who is worried, don't ;). Short-media is not changing, Icrontic is just coming home

A lot of you won't remember me at all, but I think I am back home now. I'll be around for a long while.

-Phil 'Aranyic' Douglas
  • edited May 2007
    While I wasn't a member of the original Icrontic, I sure do remember the fallout and all of the crazy discussions @ attaboy soon after.

Aranyic: Did Apu's Hardware turn into Icrontic?
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited May 2007
    May be off topic, but, what about F@H?
    SM is #93, IC is #33693
    Will #33693 be abandoned? Will Stanford allow the points to be merged?
    edited May 2007
    @ Wired: Yes, Mortin changed the name after about a year I think.
    a2jfreak wrote:
    May be off topic, but, what about F@H?
    Conversation for another thread :) That's up to the Team, Committee, and Stanford.
  • jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    Keebler wrote:
    @ Wired: Yes, Mortin changed the name after about a year I think.

Conversation for another thread :) That's up to the Team, Committee, and Stanford.

Correct. He didn't want any legal issues with "Apus" so him and Celcho came up with Icrontic, which really means nothing :P
  • BLuKnightBLuKnight Lehi, UT Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    I think this is a positive direction. No matter what flag this community flies under, Icrontic or Short-Media, it's always going to be the same friendly, helpful atmosphere.
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited May 2007
    Jesus changing URLs is the death of a site.

The key to a successful site is frontend news/reviews/articles, plain and simple. Icrontic and Short-Media were never higher in Alexia or popularity or hits or internet reputation than when fresh, new, interesting articles were published! End of story. Believe it or not but thats what has determined the sucess during the history of IC/SM. Think of the times when when Keith or MM would create a glorious article such as breaking into the Xbox.....the key lies with the frontend...no matter what its called.

Merge forces or w/e but sometimes change is bad.
  • jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    Yeah I remember when they cracked open the GameCube it brought IC to its knees (thanks to /.) for a couple of days haha
    ahh the memories :P
    edited May 2007
    mmonnin wrote:
    Jesus changing URLs is the death of a site.
    Not if you do it correctly. I know how to do it correctly.
    mmonnin wrote:
    The key to a successful site is frontend news/reviews/articles, plain and simple.
    I'm well aware and under no illusions about what must be done.
  • WuGgaRoOWuGgaRoO Not in the shower Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    please tell me we are keeping our color scheme
    edited May 2007
    WuGgaRoO wrote:
    please tell me we are keeping our color scheme
    How about "IC darkness will not become the default"? ;)
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    it's been a long time coming, eh? :)
  • mmonninmmonnin Centreville, VA
    edited May 2007
    Keebler wrote:
    Not if you do it correctly. I know how to do it correctly.

What like http://www.google.com/googlegear.html
    I'm well aware and under no illusions about what must be done.

Joining doesnt fix/change this.
  • IndigoRedIndigoRed Perth Western Australia Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    I've read chatter on here about Icrontic in one of the dark and dusty vaults. Severe nostalgia... I suppose the way I'll feel about SMF. But having said that, I have nostalgia for my first car, my first love, etc. But I'll never go back.
    You make Icrontic good (great) Keebler; I'll keep spreading your gospel. Lay SMF to rest with honours.

:rockon:
  • ketoketo
    skulks out of his deep dark hideaway

:celebrate

Congratulations!

It's gonna feel wierd, I must say. I was not around in the old Apu/Icrontic days, but did join S-M very shortly after launch and have watched it evolve from a (mainly) hardware review site, to the best-bar-none...
    Occupied. Or is it preoccupied? Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    skulks out of his deep dark hideaway

:celebrate

Congratulations!

It's gonna feel wierd, I must say. I was not around in the old Apu/Icrontic days, but did join S-M very shortly after launch and have watched it evolve from a (mainly) hardware review site, to the best-bar-none spyware killin crew, through changes in management and ownership and direction. I'll be lurking around but know that I wish y'all nothing but the best with the new changes.

-Kent
  • IndigoRedIndigoRed Perth Western Australia Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    ps. Loved the video! Bastards, make me laugh when I got the flu... "tell your mom..." ROFL *hack* *wheeze*
  • edited May 2007
    Even though I'm no where near as active as I once was under the icrontic flag, I still lurk regularly. I'm delighted to hear this excellent news.

For what my two pence is worth - I agree with mmonnin, about the content. I've found this a little lacking in recent times.

My mind keeps thinking about Mortin...

Congratulations people, lets hope Icrontic and Short-media re-united as one, regain the former glorious crown of being the best Technology site there is.
  • qparadoxqparadox Vancouver, BC
    edited May 2007
    While I thought the banner of Short-media was great and there's been an incredible run here, I'm also excited that we're going to be icronticians (?) again. I've been in the shadows since the apu's days and I've seen the community wane and then explode in growth several times. Here's to a great future and many many more years!.

:cool:
  • PirateNinjaPirateNinja Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    Oh hell yah, I still have photoshop files for my old icrontic sig to match the dark blues :P :D
  • dragonV8dragonV8 not here much New
    edited May 2007
    We wish you guys & girls all the best with this new venture (of old).:thumbsup:
    Fortunately my username is the same in both.:)

oh, and remember matthew.......................breathe.;D
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    I have read and learned and experienced a lot about the staff at SM over the last 4 years; especially Kebbler and primesuspect. Selfishness, lack of caring, and failure to commit to a task and see it through are NOT quality's or mind sets that they posses.

Change is not something to be feared but rather to be embraced and in life it is inevitable. A new coat of paint is always nice for a while, but sometimes moving to a new "home" is what is necessary for a new start. This is a good thing!!
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    Woo! I like the new logo. :)
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    The new logo ROCK!!! Oh yeah... It ROCKS!!!

Every decision of this magnitude is fraught with the possibility of failure and success... Sitting back and letting Icrontic die off is just as big of a decision as merging. The key here is that the decision was made after careful consideration by the owners. The staff from both sites are in support of this.... We just need your support and patients while this is all worked out.

The truth of the matter... Icrontic has not died when, by all rights, it probably should have if not for a group of dedicated members, staff, and owners. Short-Media probably should be a success and be in the position to purchase Icrontic if it weren't for great members, staff, and owners. The new Icrontic will have a great staff and owners... all we need is your support. With that, we will bring the Icrontic name back and make it mean something!!! :D
  • JimboraeJimborae Newbury, Berks, UK New
    edited May 2007
    I've not posted in a long time but then i got the email regarding this and suddenly got a warm fluffy sense of deja vu. :)

Glad I've still got my Spudz case badge from years ago, now it can reside back in it's rightful place on my main rig next to my SM Anniversary badge.

Here's to the future and best of luck guys!
  • celchocelcho Tallahassee, FL Member
    edited May 2007
    i'm so glad icrontic is coming back. it will be better this time than it was before.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    Hell. Yes.

This is gonna rock! I can't wait to see what happens now.
  • JLunarJLunar the t dot.
    edited May 2007
    yeeeys! congrats guys!!! *returns to lurking*
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    Sweet action! Viva le Spudz!

Now, what about the merchandising? Icrontic reunion t-shirts, case badges, plushes...
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    I've never been an Icrontic member. I was invited to join this crowd the day SM opened its doors, and it's been a part of my life ever since. This is the only public forum where I can truely say I'm part of the community. I have many friends here.

The name change is disapointing, and the SM brand will be missed.

However, I understand the need to move forward, and I certainly understand the desire to move away from a business name that no longer feels relevant or marketable (Nexlia had to do this once, as well, coming to rest, similarly, on a name that essentially means nothing at all, and when I was a teenager, my mother bought a store that had someone elses name on it, which she always resented, but never had the courage to change).

So despite my lack of personal connection to the Icrontic name, I put my support behind this change, and I will do my best to help make the new entity more succesful as a business and (possibaly more importantly) just as succsesful as a community of friends.