Com freezes at startup

boricua9215boricua9215 Hollywood, FL.
edited June 2007 in Hardware
Greetings,

As the title implies my computer constantly freezes at the screen telling you to press DEL to run BIOS. I had someone tell me that the CMOS needed to be reset and that's what I did, problem is that the computer keeps freezing on me at that screen and I have to reset it every single time. Every now and then it'll decide to work normally and I can do whatever it is I need to without a problem. But as soon as I shut down and come back later it does it again. Geek Squad told me that there was an operating system error and that they could fix it for $250. I laughed and hung up. Anyway, I sure as hell would like to know what's going on with this thing. I recently replaced my motherboard, power supply, and RAM just in case anyone needed to know. Oh, and my hard drive was wiped in the process so if there was any concern for viruses or what not, that shouldn't be the issue unless there's something I don't know about. Thanks for your time.

Comments

• BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    Have you replaced the battery on the motherboard? If the battery is dying, it can make your system quite flaky.
  • RiddickRiddick Malaysia Icrontian
    edited May 2007
    ensure that your power supply is connected to a power socket or extension that isnt faulty.. the leak in current when you turn your computer off may lead to some cmos errors. try swapping power sockets etc
  • boricua9215boricua9215 Hollywood, FL.
    edited May 2007
    Have you replaced the battery on the motherboard? If the battery is dying, it can make your system quite flaky.

The entire motherboard is new, battery and all. I've tried taking it out and repositioning it a few times but yeah.....nothing.........
    Riddick wrote:
    ensure that your power supply is connected to a power socket or extension that isnt faulty.. the leak in current when you turn your computer off may lead to some cmos errors. try swapping power sockets etc

I'm a computer newbie so if you could explain this a bit further that would be awesome.
  • edited May 2007
    Does the computer beep? Generally, certain errors have a particular pc-speaker beep patern. IE Short bursts can mean your RAM is bad...and so on.

Your motherboard manual should have these paterns if it indeed is beeping.

Also to do a true CMOS reset, there should be a jumper on the motherboard that you can connect that does a hard reset.
    edited May 2007
    steelclash wrote:
    Does the computer beep? Generally, certain errors have a particular pc-speaker beep patern. IE Short bursts can mean your RAM is bad...and so on.

Your motherboard manual should have these paterns if it indeed is beeping.

Also to do a true CMOS reset, there should be a jumper on the motherboard that you can connect that does a hard reset.

No beeping when the freezing occurs. I've been using the jumper to reset CMOS every time. Earlier today I took out the battery and put it back in and the com worked like a charm. I think the guy who replaced the parts thought that putting the battery from my old motherboard into the new one was a good idea, though I can understand if he didn't have a fresh one at the time. I'm going to pickup a brand new battery tomorrow from radio shack and troubleshoot this and see if this is the problem. Thanks for the help people. If this doesn't fix it then I'll update this thread.
    edited May 2007
    Ok, replaced the battery, still doesn't work right. I had a computer tech tell me that there's a good possibility that the motherboard is bad even though I bought it brand new. He informed me that his company who builds and repairs computers has had many problems with MSI boards in the past and that they're 85% reliable out of the box. Out of 60 boards they had 4 defective ones. So today I ordered another board from newegg.com. If that doesn't work, well, I'll do something I'll regret.
    edited June 2007
    Problem solved. Whatever that tech did to my computer when he was messing with it seemed to do the trick. It's running just fine like there was nothing wrong with it to begin with.