Backing up a Raid0 with Norton Ghost 2002/3

stoopidstoopid Albany, NY New
edited July 2003 in Hardware
I think I have Ghost 2002, I know for sure it supports NTFS/windows 2000/xp. I have never backed up a Raid array (other than using raid1 where you just replce the bad drive and dump). I'm assuming Ghost will create a backup on my 3rd 80GB, and if one of my maxtors fail I re-setup the raid, run the norton recovery disk, and it will reimage to the raid array... assuming being the key word here... does this really work?

Comments

• dydxdydx Cymru, UK
    edited June 2003
    Software doesnt know that the drives are a RAID, it looks like one disk, the controller sorts out the striping and whatnot.

Youll need DOS drivers for the RAID controller for it to work in DOS when ghost is running.

mD
  • stoopidstoopid Albany, NY New
    edited June 2003
    I think ghost offers the drive support in DOS mode if I tell it, so I'll look out for that.

Thanks for the info!
  • dydxdydx Cymru, UK
    edited June 2003
    No problem dude.

mD
  • EQuitoEQuito SoCal, USA
    edited June 2003
    Originally posted by dydx
    Youll need DOS drivers for the RAID controller for it to work in DOS when ghost is running.
    With all due respect, that's incorrect. Ghost doesn't need any drivers to detect the array.
  • dydxdydx Cymru, UK
    edited June 2003
    When youre booting into DOS to make an image of the array from an FD, you aint gonna see the array if you dont load the drivers into RAM, and thus wont be able to image the array.

mD
    edited June 2003
    I'm sorry but that's incorrect also.
    You can boot with a totally clean floppy and still see the array, run FDISK, format, etc.
    Same thing with Ghost, you don't need any drivers.
  • dydxdydx Cymru, UK
    edited June 2003
    So how come when i put the standard ghost disk in a machine with a compaq scsi controller, it wont see the disks untill i make a disk with the drivers on it.

mD
    edited June 2003
    We're talking IDE here, check stoopid's post and signature.
    I don't know about SCSI, I'm sure Tex can answer that.
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited June 2003
    Agree with Equito. When you boot off a dos floppy with no drivers you can fdisk and format the hpt raid array perfectly.

Tex
  • dydxdydx Cymru, UK
    edited June 2003
    Youll probably find that IDE RAID controllers perform in a similar manner to SCSI controllers, needing special drivers in DOS.

mD
    edited June 2003
    Whatever..., I'm out! :D
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited June 2003
    Dude both EQ and I have used those hpts for years. We have actually done exactly what he is asking and your guessing and don't have one. Your guessing based on a scsi controller you have which has nothing to do with this. THEY DO NOT EVEN MAKE A FRIGGIN DOS DRIVER FOR IT OK

Just bow out gracefully OK.

Tex
    edited June 2003
    Tex, don't forget Promise, SiliconImage, Adaptec and Tekram.
    They all work pretty much the same hence none of them need any drivers to work from DOS.

Cheers! ;)
  • dydxdydx Cymru, UK
    edited June 2003
    Sorry about that equito, knew there was something about ASPI drivers and Ghost from a past problem and there is:

Symantec Ghost supports the cloning of simple or mirrored volumes on
    dynamic disks. Cloning of spanned, striped, and RAID-5 volumes is not
    supported by Symantec Ghost. You can dump an image from a partition to
    a dynamic disk. You can restore this image to a basic disk, but not to a
    dynamic disk.
    You can only take a disk image of a dynamic disk if you use the image all
    (-ia) switch. The -ia switch performs a sector-by-sector copy of the entire
    disk. The disk on which the image is to be loaded must be identical to the
    source disk in every way. This function is only useful for creating a backup
    of an image. If you load an image created using -ia onto a drive with
    different geometry, Windows 2000 does not understand the dynamic disk.

If you load an -ia disk image of a dynamic disk onto an SCSI hard drive
    and you get the error “Destination drive too small”, you must load the ASPI
    driver for the SCSI card. Without an ASPI driver, Symantec Ghost does not
    always have the correct size of the SCSI drive and cannot distinguish if the
    drive is large enough to hold the image

Like you said it doesnt matter in this case.

My appologies again :D

mD
    edited June 2003
    NP, apology accepted. ;)

btw: that quote talks about 'dynamic volumes' so it might be possible for Ghost to detect an array using 'basic volumes' even on SCSI drives because the SCSI controller loads it's own bios during boot so it'll be the same as and IDE controller therefore no need for ASPI drivers.
    edited June 2003
    The only drives I think it will NOT detect are scsi, and even then my version (Ghost 2003) allows you to load the scsi/aspi drivers as part of the boot disk creation process.

I just created my backups and created my emergency boot disk, gonna reboot... brb with my test results.
    edited June 2003
    Ghost sees the NTFS Raid0 array just fine.
  • HMOverclockerHMOverclocker The Hong Kong SAR, China
    edited July 2003
    Edit...
  • ShivianShivian Australia
    edited July 2003
    Does ghost restore the image properly? What about restoring an entire drive (and not just a partition)?

I don't know how the HPT raid works but I'm guessing that something is written to the disks by the HPT controller that tells it that it is setup for RAID and was wondering how Ghost handles that info?
    edited July 2003
    Originally posted by Shivian
    Does ghost restore the image properly? What about restoring an entire drive (and not just a partition)?
    Absolutely. I'd guess that Ghost picks up the info from the controller bios.