edited November 2005 in Gaming
What are your picks?

I'll go with...

1. Half-Life/System Shock 2
3. Deus Ex
4. Starcraft
5. Day Of The Tentacle

Comments

• Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited July 2003
    IMO? Lesse... I'm not a big fan of Blizzard by any stretch of the imagination (don't even THINK about trying to tell me that the AI in their games is any good...)

<ol>
    <li>Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit 2
    <ul>"What's Hot"
    <li>See avatar. Any game that includes a CL600 (or was it a CL55? My wheel's dead and I can't remember anymore... no matter) and that gives me a chance to prove once and for all that Mercedes kicks @zz is outstanding IMO. In fact, I'm seriously thinking of coughing up $250 for an xbox and World Racing (All Mercedes, all the time)
    <li>The graphics are great
    </ul>
    <ul>"What's Not"
    <li>The fact that said graphics don't get along with the 8500 in my desktop.
    </ul>
    <li>Black & White
    <ul>"What's Hot"
    <li>Excellent gameplay
    <li>Who doesn't love being god?
    </ul>
    <ul>"What's Not"
    <li>I HATE that godforsaken UI
    <li>Creatures can get real annoying, real fast.
    </ul>
    <li>Grand Theft Auto: Vice City
    <ul>"What's Hot"
    <li>Although I'm not a big fan of blowing people's heads off (HalfLife, etc.) I like this game. It's addictive. Dunno why for sure. Probably has something to do with the combination of the music (yea, so I like '80s music... your point?) and the fact that I get to do essentially whatever I want. Which involves a lot of screwing around (with the CARS ya pervert. Not the hookers. The CARS. :rolleyes::D)
    <li>One or two awesome cheats. That gun (forgot what it's called- it's that handheld thing that requires both hands and has the spinning barrel assembly thingy) is more fun than should be legal. Which is probably why the real version isn't. (I think)
    </ul>
    <ul>"What's Not"
    <li>Missions can be tedious; some are near-impossible WITH the friggin' cheats...
    </ul>
    <li>Need For Speed: Porsche Unleashed
    <ul>"What's Hot"
    <li>Best physics of any car sim I've ever played, bar none. Some of the stuff I learned playing this has saved my @ss in real life- while I had my learner's permit, I was going to make a left turn, across traffic, from a center turn lane (no stoplights) My dad says- and these are his exact words mind you- "you'd better hurry!" Now what the hell does that mean to you? To me it means one thing: Floor It. Minor issue here: I was turning. I floored it anyhow. To make a long story short, the 4-door, 4200lb Mercedes 560SEL I was driving roars around the corner in 1st gear, rear tires spinning, and fishtails. The only reason I didn't spin it is because I've had similar things happen with the older 911s in NFS: PU, and I learned how to catch it in the game. The old 911s have a tendency to get very, very tail-happy. The game accurately replicates this, and every other property of the cars. As I said, it has the best physics of any simulation I've ever used.
    <li>The graphics are great on this one too, especially given it's age.
    </ul>
    <ul>"What's Not"
    <li>Nothing that I can think of.
    </ul>
    <li>Microsoft's Midtown Madness series
    <ul>"What's Hot"
    <li>Excellent force feedback effects
    <li>The music
    <li>The selection of cars is rather unique
    <li>The physics are arcade style while still retaining some level of accuracy, so it's fun, but not absurdly un-realistic.
    <li>Open environments GOOD. I've been known to spend hours driving around that Mustang fastback because it's fun to drive, fast (faster in the game than in real life), sounds great, and does burnouts quite willingly...
    </ul>
    <ul>"What's Not"
    <li>The Microsoft logo
    <li>I said the selection of cars is unique, not good. There's a difference. Yea, some of 'em are fun, but I'm not a big Ford fan, and I've hated Cadillac ever since they tried to european-ize their cars, and I'm not a fan of FWD either. I also have an intense dislike of the new Mustang. So, this kind of limits my choice vehicles, especially in the original game (altho the Cadillac is actually a fun car to drive, in-game anyhow)
    <li>Typical Microsoft buttload of errors, glitches, etc. Ex: Someone tell me HOW IN THE HELL a car with FRONT wheel drive can do REAR wheel burnouts? I know some ricers that'd pay good money for that...
    </ul>
    </OL>
    <UL>Honorable Mention
    <LI>Morrowind & expansion packs; Haven't played much yet, but fun, if a bit tedious.
    <LI>Outpost2; Possibly the most addictive game ever. Not the best game, but it's like that "Protect Your Castle" thing that someone posted here in OT a few days ago. It's addictive. The thing dates from like 1995 (no, I'm not exaggerating. It's like 1995 or 1996 or 1997... somethinglikethat). The story line is very, very basic, and the graphics suck (obviously) but it runs under XP *gasp* and it's fun. BTW... If anyone knows where to get the updates for it, lemme know, because I could use them. Anyhow, if you can find it on Ebay, Kazaa, in a store, whatever, buy it. It's a great deal of fun, actually.
    <LI>Screamer 4x4; One word: Gelandewagen. Specifically, the G500... Mercedes SUV; not to be confused with the M-Class. It rivals the Hummer for sheer off-road capability (no, I'm not joking, and no, I'm not exaggerating). Another open-ended game. It's a blast just to take the Jeep, Gelandewagen, or whatever, and just go see what you can make it do. It actually supports the G-Wagen's locking front, center, and rear differentials with 3 separate key commands, and they have a big impact on performance, as they would in real life.
    <LI>Rally Trophy; Classic European sports cars. From Lancia and Alfa to Volvo and the one and only Mini Cooper, the game's got it, and they seem to be reasonably accurately modeled.
    </UL>
  • Rot-KatzeRot-Katze Pensacola, Florida
    edited July 2003
    Out of te Games I've played alot of...

1. Halo
    2. Diablo 2 LoD
    3. BF1942 DC
    4. Red Alert (the original w/ the expansions)
    5. Sudden Strike

EDIT: my 5th one I can't really say...It's actually a tie between a bunch of games...Sudden Strike, Return to Castle Wolfenstein for Xbox...Neverwinter Nights, Dungeon Siege...too many to list lol
  • FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
    edited July 2003
    1. Quake 3
    2. Max Payne
    3. Battlefield 1942
    4. Moh: AA
    5. GTA3.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    1. Total Annihilation
    2. Operation Flashpoint
    3. GTA
    4. C&C Red Alert (w/ expansions)
    5. Syndicate

NS
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    very few of you are mentioning older games, talking about dos and win3.x, back when you had to make boot disks for everything.

1. TIE Fighter + expansions (original, on floppy disks)
    2. Any Lucas Arts adventure game (especially Sam & Max)
    3. Total Annihilation
    4. Counter-Strike betas 1-5
    5. Dark Forces 2: Jedi Knight
  • PyobliEPyobliE UK
    edited July 2003
    My most played games are prolly in this order:
    1. Half-life / CounterStrike
    2. Halo
    3. May Payne
    4. FIFA's (FIFA 2003 on xbox at the mo)
    5. Unreal Tourny

Played CS far too much at one time, fooked up my A levels as a result... :(
  • Rot-KatzeRot-Katze Pensacola, Florida
    edited July 2003
    I forgot to give UT and GTA honorable mentions
  • Ed-ChigliakEd-Chigliak West Yorks (UK)
    edited July 2003
    Oldies

1) Elite - BBC
    2) Dungeon Master - Amiga
    3) Revs - BBC
    4) Guantlet - Down the arcade

Not so very old

1) Homeworld
    2) Operation Flashpoint
    3) Mechwarrior 3&4
    4) Baldursgate 1&2
    5) X beyond the frontier / X tension
  • edited July 2003
    Wow this is really hard but here goes.

1. Gothic
    2. Max Payne
    3. Medal of Honor
    4. Starcraft
    5. Undying

Honorable Mentions:

Aliens VS Predator 2
    Grand Theft Auto Vice City
    Half-Life
    Halo
    System Shock 2
    Unreal Tournament
    Master of Orion 2
  • Captain-Bort-BortsonCaptain-Bort-Bortson New Orleans, LA Member
    edited July 2003
    1: Half-Life
    2: Deus Ex
    3: X-Wing Alliance
    4: Civilization 3
    5: Total Annihilation

If this was top games you own thread Id also add:
    Fighters Anthology (btw Pigflipper, your Sidewinder Pro 3d doesnt work under XP so I need to borrow the Pro 2 to finish the last 100 or so missions)
    F-15
    and GTAIII and Vice City
  • NixxerNixxer Nottingham, UK
    edited July 2003
    1. The Zelda Series
    This is my favourite game series of all time. I would say that OOT was my favourite, but then Windwaker came out and the quality of the game and tie-in with OOT put them on such a high level.

2. The Sonic Series
    A game series where I can pick up any title and play. From Sonic 1 to Sonic Adventure 2, the games are fast paced, action packed and thrilling. Even the likes of Sonic 3D and Sonic R are fun to play.

3. Planetside
    I resent paying two charges for games, but I am willing to for Planetside because I enjoy it that much. People may dislike it but it is one of those games that rather appeals to me.

4. The Mario Series
    Another classic series that is over a decade old. I remember my father coming home with a NES when I was 4, and we played Super Mario Bros. on it. Since then Mario has evolved considerably, but the games still play quite similarily. Mario Kart 64 is probably my most fun racing game.

5. GTA3 and Vice City
    When I heard about the original, I was impressed by the sound of it. After a long time of waiting, I finally got to play it at a friend's house and was amazed. The freedom it gave you over any other game similar to it. Its the game Driver 2 tried to be. This game was great fun to play with mates, and I played it right until Vice City was released. The same happened again.
  • PyobliEPyobliE UK
    edited July 2003
    oh, should have mentioned Wings of Fury, Speedball 2 and Cannon Fodder 1 +2 on Amiga. Classics...

(Dont pimp your site by adding links to all these games NS.... :D)
  • T-BirDT-BirD Montgomery, AL
    edited July 2003
    1. Quake I (netquake, not Quakeworld) DM and 3wave CTF - IBMpc
    2. Sid Meier's Pirates! -C64 (16 years later, a sequel is announced! People make such a big deal out of GTA and Morrowind's open ended gameplay when this had it in 1987!)
    3. Romance of the 3 Kingdoms series and Defender of the Crown - many systems.
    4. Age of Empires/Kings -IBMpc
    5. Final Fantasy III (US) / VI (Jpn) - SNES/PSX

Honorable mentions: Mafia, Unreal Tournament, Gunstar Heroes (Gen), Atomic Bomberman (PC - awesome LAN game!)

I'm sure I'm forgetting a few...also, this is obviously just a list of games I have played a good bit of and (usually) finished, and I know I've missed some gems. Like System Shock 2 - I just recently got it to run and am only 3-4 hours in.
  • drowddrowd Texas
    edited July 2003
    1. Legend of Zelda: Link to the Past
    2. Max Payne
    3. Halo
    4. Metal Gear Solid
    5. Aliens vs. Predator

Honorable Mentions: Alice, Hitman, Splinter Cell, Quake 3, Unreal Tournament, Grand Theft Auto III (not VC), Medal of Honor (Allied Assault and Spearhead), Legend of Zelda: the Wind Waker.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    My Particular Favorites...

1. Starcraft
    2. Quest for Glory II
    3. Half-Life
    4. Diablo
    5. Max Payne

fc
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    I agree with most of the picks you guys have chosen, some really classic games that also tell us that a list of just 5 can never tell the truth. You have to look at games in the context of when they were released and on what systems. Every "generation" and genre of games have had several break through games that were and still are, head and shoulders about the competition.

Bort: That joystick might be dead anyways, its really really old. I will let you borrow the Pro 2 only for a few weeks, you need to get off your ass and get yourself a new joystick.
  • m011ym011y Ohio, USA.
    edited July 2003
    1.) Chrono Trigger, hands down. Yes, I'm an rpg lover.
    2.) FFVII, the last good Final Fantasy, though I've heard people rave about 10.
    3.) Super Smash Bros. Melee (get a few people together, and this entertains for a while.)
    4.) UT2K3
    5.) Dance Dance Revolution. Sorry, it's addicting.

Honorable Mentions:
    Secret of Mana
    Zelda Series
    Final Fantasy 2(4) and 3
    Street Fighter series (though I've gotten kind of fond of Tekken Tag).
    ...and probably more that have slipped my mind ;)
  • MadJohnMadJohn Aragon, GA
    edited July 2003
    Games I loved so much, I have a machine just for them,
    and still play them.

1)Wing Commander 1 and 2(Didn't care for the follow-ons)
    2)Crusader-No Remorse & No Regret
    3)The original Pirates
    4)The original Railroad Tycoon

of more recent vintage..........
    5)Half-Life still does it.
  • Massive_gasMassive_gas Baghdad
    edited July 2003
    1. Mafia
    2. Half-Life
    3. Battlefield 1942
    4. GTA 3
    5. GTA Vice City
    6. Jedi Knight 2
  • ShivianShivian Australia
    edited July 2003
    This is pretty tough... here are a few of my fav's though
    1. Dark Forces - loved the weapons and the sneakiness :)
    2. Deus Ex - come to think of it, for the same reasons above. Sniping with the silenced pistol @100% accuracy and shooting people with white phosphorus rockets were the fav pastimes here :D
    3. Tie Fighter - the playability and the interactive music made it pretty fun.
    4. Baldur's Gate 1&2. The expansion for 2 was very good I thought. Good challenge and felt rewarding.
    5. Morrowind - tough 5th choice but despite how tedious it can get, the game definitely deserves a mention. Pity the engine needs a bit of work... they could chunk an Athlon @ 10GHz with that thing.

EDIT: Never played Mafia or GTA3... guess I should grab them some time.
    edited July 2003
    Originally posted by Shivian
    4. Baldur's Gate 1&2. The expansion for 2 was very good I thought. Good challenge and felt rewarding.

Strange that you say that because I thought the expansion for BG2 ruined everything. It was like it was made in a different style entirely. Differnt style of portraits, differnt style of gameplay, and it was pretty much based on action and no story. Hated it to be honest, could have been so much better.

NS
  • ShivianShivian Australia
    edited July 2003
    Guess I like the different style. I got a little frustrated with all the wandering around whereas in the expansion it just felt like I was getting somewhere rather than just carrying around messages. I have heard other people complain about the expansion but it just appeals to me for some reason.
    edited July 2003
    As I forgot to mention my Honorable mentions before, here they are.....

Baldurs Gate Series, Monkey Island Series, BattleZone II, Diablo Series, Frontier: Elite II and Deus Ex.

I would say GTA:VC but it was too short and I hate (DMA,Rockstar,RS North) for slowly adding everything GTA1 had REALLY SLOWLY to the 3D Series, just making people pay more.

NS
  • stoopidstoopid Albany, NY New
    edited July 2003
    I'm not much of a PC gamer, very specific tastes...

1 -- UT/UT2K3 (hands down best FPS)
    2 -- Everquest (evercrack king of mmorg)
    3 -- Return to Castle Wolfenstein (good single player mode FPS, as well as online play)
    4 -- Doom and Doom II (wasted many hours back in the day)
    5 -- Max Payne (for what it's worth today, bullet-time was truly cool at the time of release)

I didn't list any older games because I knew, even at the time they were out, that they stunk and could see there was a lot of room for improvement (with the exception of doom).
  • Captain-Bort-BortsonCaptain-Bort-Bortson New Orleans, LA Member
    edited July 2003
    Yeah AVP is a good game, but lets be clear, AVP = good, AVP2 = bad. For console games my top 5 would be
    1: Zelda series.
    2: Super Metroid
    3: Ace Combat 2
    4: Super Mario World
    5: Terminator 2 The Arcade Game and Road Rash 2 (tie)

and some others: Smash Bros 1and2, Metroid Prime, Halo, Tony Hawk 3, Sonic Collection Pack, Battletoads, and for a computer Game Homeworld.

p.s. pigflipper, thx for letting me borrow it, ill stop by sometime, but i gotta finish Deus Ex again.
  • T-BirDT-BirD Montgomery, AL
    edited July 2003
    Originally posted by Captain Bort Bortson
    Yeah AVP is a good game, but lets be clear, AVP = good, AVP2 = bad.

WTCrap?!?!

You sir, are mistaken. Jack and Crack running your life perhaps? ;)

AvP = decent singleplayer, good multi.
    AvP2 (NOT counting Primal Hunt!) = BRILLIANT singleplayer, decent multi.

AvP2's single player was one of the very rare games where, immediately after I finished it, I wanted to start right over and do it again - especially as an alien :)

(please note that my "jack and crack" is all in good fun - you're certainly entitled to your opinion :)
  • drowddrowd Texas
    edited July 2003
    yeah, i gotta agree with T-bird. I played the deuce out of AvP multiplayer, but AvP2 single player was absolute genius. it was really great. maybe the good captain should give AvP2 another go :D . . .
  • edited July 2003
    5. Age of Empires - the series
    4. Super Mario Bros 3
    3. Tribes 1
    2. Tribes 2
    1. Dr. J vs. Larry Bird
  • edited July 2003
    MOHAA
    Quake
    Quake 2
    Half Life
    Mafia

well, they're the ones I've enjoyed playing most, not so sure if they're actually the best
  • NorgeNorge Sidney, Ohio
    edited July 2003
    1. Final Fantasy VII - The best game ever made in my opinion.

2. Diablo II - Gotta love it. Have ran my own D2 clan for close to 4 years now.

3. Legend of Zelda Link to the Past - A Nintendo Classic.

4. Grand Theft Auto 3 - Who doesn't love a game where you steal cars, kill people, run from the cops, and get bonus health from picking up hookers?

5. Battlefield 1942 - The FPS version of crack.

Norge