screw num lock, my keyboard has COMPUTER LOCK (up that is)

dun-dun-dundun-dun-dun Member
edited July 2003 in Hardware
ok what the hell is the deal. I just reformatted my hdd and reinstalled windows xp and all was dandy. I have no idea what i did (if anything at all), but for some reason when I press ANY (yes ANY) button on my keyboard the mouse and keyboard lock up. When I hit the power button on my computer, windows shuts itself down then powers off. So the whole windows doesnt lock up, just the keyboard and mouse. before windows boots they keyboard works fine. I can go into the bios and everything, and even type. But in windows is a different story. I tried using a different ps2 keyboard and still it locks up. Sooooo what I did was manuvered the mouse to the system devices to see what was up. The little keyboard icon has a ! next to it. soooo I uninstalled the driver, then reinstalled the default driver. Still with the little ! after it. So then I painfully copied and pasted letters on the home page in my browser into the address bar to spell out "www.logitech.com" I downloaded the latest drivers.... installed..... AND STILL WITH THE ! on the icon!!!!!!!!!

how the freakin hell do I fix this...... without USING a keyboard. Everything worked just fine earlier in the day

oh yeah I cant even use the keyboard in safe mode

the keyboard is plugged in properly and everything

Comments

• ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited July 2003
    Well this has to be the top of the weird computer problem list. Looks like it isn't your keyboard that is the problem. Did you uninstall the drivers then try another keyboard? Since you just reinstalled windows, have you maybe installed the latest service packs or anything? Maybe another install will fix it, I dunno.
  • ALiEN509ALiEN509 Ohio
    edited July 2003
    Maybe you should goto the device properties and see what error it's giving you ;)
  • edited July 2003
    Ok,this actually looks like hardware failure:

Are both keyboard and mouse PS\2 (small round connectors), or is one of those two things USB or USB capable if you take off a uSB\PS2 adapoter on cord?? Reason for this is that is boht are PS\2 and one key on keyboard locks you can lose both as the PS\@ controller chip willbe bnusy deallign with a constant stream of signals and will then possibly not pass them to windows. windows will lose track of both if the PS\2 controller used for both keyboard and mouse locks.

In that case, testing is kinda simple, though figuring outr what will test needed having played and done thisd before cuz it is weird. Test: Plug in a USB keyboard while the PS\2 devices areboth locked--prefereably NOT same keyboard as was plugged into PS\2 port with an adapter. NOW, unplug the PS\2 keyboard only. If your USB keyboard works about 10 seonds after the switch, then possibly keyboard is bad.

Now, leave USB keyboard plugged in and do same as above with a mouse (think mouse where I said keyboard above). IF your problems disappear you probably have a hardware problem, so then run box with only a PS\2 keyboard and a USB mouse plugged in and see if you lose keyboard only. If so, plug only a PS\2 mouse in, use USB keyboard and see if mouse fails but keyboard works. IF so, likelyhood is very high that you have a PS\2 Contrtoller on mobo or a short in a PS\2 socket. PErmanent perfect fix is to replace mobo with a new mobo that is without such problem.

If, however, when you test, only the mobo or only the mouse locks up in all your tests where the locking thing is used, you toss the keyboard or mouse unless very good and can replace cord with one you make (cord usually goes first unless cordelss thing-- with cordless things, the batteries go first as they get low enough that junk is sent instead of something Windows can grok enough to use).

Note that cordless things can come with workingUSB<->PS\2 adapters and be plugged into PS\2 port and that the adapter can get worse and worse at sending data or things can get pulled by gravity and work loose unless adpater is taped on with electrical tape to cord side of adapter. a little GE silicone can also hold a cord connector into an adapter well.

The only other thing is a worm or hybrid that lives in a boot sector or primary part table and does not get wiped in some cases except if the drive is worked on by drive mfr utils, but that is much rarer and doing same tests and having nothing work successfully would be more indicative that this last was the case. I have had this and exactly this happen about 1% of the time with these symptoms, usually it was a mouse or keyboard switch (or switches under keys on keyboard, multiple) stuck or a cord for one or both gone bad with age.

John Danielson.
  • dun-dun-dundun-dun-dun Member
    edited July 2003
    I tried everything. I installed updates, I uninstalled the keyboard then tried a new one..... the list goes on

the error said windows has a problem for the device drivers for this hardware. The drivers may be corrupted or missing from the computer (code 32)

yet I uninstalled the drivers, reinstalled them, uninstalled THOSE drivers again, then installed the LOGITECH ones, and ran scandisk, and tried reinstalling the drivers over AGAIN.... and still

*sigh*

It just all came back down to reformatting, and that is how I am here right now. Now I have to reinstall all my progs all over again

*edit

I didnt have a usb keyboard to test out, and yes my mouse and keyboard are ps/2 (not cordless). I tried just keyboard and it still locked up. And no its not the keyboard cause I tried multiple keyboards.

But thanks for your help

Ageek, you sure worte alot of helpful stuff, thanks. But it just came down to reformatting. Thanks anyway
  • ShivianShivian Australia
    edited July 2003
    Sounds like a screwed PS/2 port to me... you say you don't have a USB one to test with but maybe borrow a friend's or something to make sure before going out and buying your own. (Note. I didn't read all of Ageek's post - bit of a headache atm but I'm guessing he's saying the USB keyboard test thing too from my little skim).
    edited July 2003
    dude, I dont know if you read my final post, but I reformatted again and all is well
  • edited July 2003
    Ok, then the PS\2 or logitech drivers got fracked badly. Since you said you reloaded the logitech drivers, I think it was the PS\2 bus handlers in Windows that got messed up.

That is kind rare.... In fact, very rare.... (No, not your fault AT ALL, but if it happens again I would have the mobo looked at by a tech.) The PS\2 bus drivers are some of the more stable drivers in Windows.

John Danielson.
  • ShivianShivian Australia
    edited July 2003
    Errr... sorry misread that.
    edited July 2003
    its all good. I appreciate the help