DirectX confusion!!

Ed-ChigliakEd-Chigliak West Yorks (UK)
edited July 2003 in Science & Tech
I'm building a new PC hopefully later on today when my case arrives so I though I would grab the latest drivers in advance.

Where can I get the DirectX9.0a full install... I grabbed something called the end-user runtime 250k which is hardly the full install.

Found something called the DirectX 9.0a Redistributable but this seems geared towards developers.

I don't understand why it has to be so confusing or why I am pushed towards updates directly off of the web. I'm right on the edge of big time rant here. Don't let me flip... not today... this is suposed to be a happy new build kind of a day.

Ed^

Comments

• edited July 2003
    Microsoft's stuff typically downloads an installer which downloads from another location. Is this what you downloaded?

If so, just run it and it'll update DX for you.
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    The ReDist (Redistributable) is the one you want. Its the whole package which is why it is redistributable unlike the web update one. Plus it installs a lot faster.

NS
  • Ed-ChigliakEd-Chigliak West Yorks (UK)
    edited July 2003
    OK thanks I'll grab the redistributable.

Got confused with the jargon.

Ed^
  • edited July 2003
    Two little things-- the video card driver install might mod the DX. I woudl archive the redist on a CD, and first stick the video card drivers in, then try upgrading DX. If that makes for a mess, reload the Video Card drivers to restore any custom DX.

John Danielson.
  • ShivianShivian Australia
    edited July 2003
    The SDK is the one you want to avoid :D
    Well *most* people will...