For Members using Windows 2k3 Ent...

fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
edited July 2003 in Science & Tech
hello,

I'm thinkin about using win2k3 enterprise and just had a few ?'s for the people running it. I know a little while back there was a discussion about problems using OpenGL in win2k3. I was wondering if these issues had be solved/figured out now?

Also as to what programs I can expect not to work with win2k3. I know norton's is picky, but are there some other popular ones that i will need to be aware of?

Any other info would be greatly appreciated.

TIA
fc

Comments

• TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited July 2003
    Programs that do not install on a server OS. Thats 70 percent of the progs I use.

You will have to get server enabled versions of those progs or.... if you are not going to use active directory and run a domian... which is the ONLY reason to run 2003 server enterprise btw.... there are tweaks to make the server OS look like pro and you can install the other picky programs.. But the ONLY reason to use the server OS in the first place was to run active directory on a domain so whats the friggin point here? If your not running AD on a domain then screw 2003 anyway. I run it to manage my domain instead of 2000 AS but there is no need for the overhead and its tweaked out as a sever and is not gonna game and stuff as well as XP. Its optimized for background process's and lan related activity not foreground p;rocess's and gaming etc.. Its a SERVER not a desktop OS. Its a server version of XP basicaly and if your not gonna run it as a sever then run XP.

Tex
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    thanks for the input Tex...always straight to the point. So I guess its wait for Longhorn then?

fc
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited July 2003
    The wait for longhorn continues. No use in using a server OS as a regular everyday OS at all, it just isn't meant to be.
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited July 2003
    Originally posted by FatCat
    thanks for the input Tex...always straight to the point. So I guess its wait for Longhorn then?

fc

Depends on what you want. 2003 is XP. The server version. You guys game. You don't want to game on a server. And thats any server basicaly. Its not going to game better then the desktop version. You can work real hard tweaking and get it close though maybe. But why??

Longhorn is a year or more away at least. The releases I have used were buggy but have promise. And.... I have as many programs that will not run on Longhorn as 2003 at this point.

Tex
  • ShivianShivian Australia
    edited July 2003
    Yeah I ran my system with 2000 server a while back and every now and then you'd come across a package that wouldn't install on the server OS and it was quite annoying. I'm not an overclocker or mad tweaker so I didn't (well haven't I should say) really notice performance differences between the server and pro versions.
  • edited July 2003
    You could always pick up Linux and develop the next uber kernel :D