Internet connection sharing

edited July 2003 in Science & Tech
not really sure if this goes here but this is where i'll put it.

Right now I have 2 computers set up over a LAN. As far as I know I have all the internet connection sharing set up right to share my cable modem over the 2 computers. Ive followed all the normal steps that were found here http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/ics/ics_win2k_install_bband.htm

yet i still can't get a connection on my second computer the host one works fine, and ive had it up and running before but for some reason I cant get it to work now. The network is working fine since i can transfer files over it. I know I didnt give that much info but I couldnt really think what to put. I'm using win2k pro.

Comments

• danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited July 2003
    You shouldn't have to use ICS on a LAN, just get a 5 port hub or a router connected to your cable modem so that they can access the internet.
  • edited July 2003
    I have a home server so I can manage users better and control which computer can (my sons' computers) stay on and have restrictions. They can only log on onto their computers.

I have a 2, 5 port routers.
  • edited July 2003
    Because ICS does not work well with DHCP or NAT, running ICS through a router is also not a good idea-- they usually have one or both running.

One of four things needs to happen:

Set up a formal server with your sons' computers as clients. Border router nats, server has static IP and DHCPs, inner router neither nats nor DHCPs.

Turn off DHCP and NAT and pay for the IPS you need as the modem will now see your LAN, and end point protect all your machines-- in order to control you then get to install software on your son's machines.

Set up a network gateway between your modem and the client machines, making it possibly a Linux or BSD box that can control access by IP by time range like a Win2K Server would. BSD can NAT, and can DHCP the clients, and can control the access by time.

Get a heavy duty router and program it so only certain ports can get out during certain timerange, then LOCK the thing up so the young'uns can't unplug your box and plug theirs in when they want to surf as easily.

John Danielson.
  • edited July 2003
    i dont plan on buying a hardware router of any sort since right now i have 2 net cards in the computer im on right now, and a crossover cable, and they are both running win2k pro, so i need to figure out how to set it up to share, hopefully without buying anything, any steps that i could take, even if its from scratch would be helpful
  • edited July 2003
    it should be working for you - have you gone thru the troubleshooting link at the end of that how to? I used this site's guide just like you and it worked (before I got a router of course). It's probably a setting on the client side. Have you changed anything physically to the client computer?
  • ShivianShivian Australia
    edited July 2003
    Well if you set one to use ICS it will be assigned the ip 192.168.0.1 on your local network. On the other computer, tell it to use the gateway 192.168.0.1 and that should do the trick.
  • edited July 2003
    yeah i set it up right as best to my knowledge the only thing that changed is a reformatting of the hard drive and a new install of win 2k