cd-burner problems

edited July 2003 in Hardware
My burner has worked for for a while, but recently would get a Medium Speed error occasionally. I though it was something w/ the batch I bought. I picked up two 100 spindles so it took me a while to go through them all. Well a few months later ((currently)) I can't burn anything. I've recently upgraded to Nero 6.0 thinking it was the software, and I get the same message. Medium speed Error, or Session Fixation Failed. I tried a few different brands of CD's and other software including windows xp's built in CD burning option. The drive does work and reads everything fine, just doesn't burn. I've tried uninstalling it and everything.. what would cause it to just suddenly stop burning, but do everything else fine?

btw- ,it's some odd burner, all I can pull from the hardware page is RW-161032 and I think the brand is Artec. I've gone under Google and I can't find any driver or firmware upgrades... any insight would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

-aaron

Comments

• ShivianShivian Australia
    edited July 2003
    Just sounds like the hardware is broken. CD drives in my experience are pretty unreliable compared to most other parts.
  • TheBaronTheBaron Austin, TX
    edited July 2003
    its not that bad though, cause you can get a new 52x32x52 lite-on for somewhere in the neighborhood of $45 at newegg.
  • edited July 2003
    Artec is a brand name of Artronix(Americas, US Based), Ultima Electronics(Asia, Australia, Africa), and Artec (Europe, Germany). Download page here:

http://64.70.234.121/pages/download.htm

Corporate website here:

http://www.artecusa.com/

Both were working when I was just on them.

Look on a place called DriversPlanet for quite a few mfr links:
    http://www.driversplanet.com/

Good luck, but XP was designed for faster burners. The Liteon mentioned might be a very wise purchase choice if the rest of the box is fast.

With the latest Nero, half the ISO CDs I burn are so close to filling the CDs that I cannot get Nero to fixate right except with Verbatims from Sam's Warehouse Club on my Dragonwriter burner. Different CD Burners like different chemical CD platter(the CD itself, media) compositions.

The other things I have seen happen include-- sometimes a cable will die, or the CD Burner just needs ita laser lense cleaned with a Laser Lense Cleaning CD. Cheaper drives can have laser lenses that die after a while, but more likely than even that is that cheap CD platters release chemical vapors that fog the laser lense in the burner eventually after 20-30 burns. My burners get cleaned after 20-50 burns (varies by burner and media used how often this is needed). The cleaning CDs cost about $10.00 US and can be used indefinitely if aired off with air can every once in a while so mini-brushes are cleaned off.
  • ClutchClutch North Carolina New
    edited July 2003
    A lot of the times, when a drive or even a burner decides to go bottom side up, replacing the ide cable will do the trick. Has worked plenty of times for me, and others.