Win 98 SE

edited July 2003 in Science & Tech
I am running Win 98 SE.

Unfortunately, I recently tried to install a driver and the computer asked for the windows CD which is missing in action.

Does anyone know where I can get another Win 98 SE CD?

Comments

• stoopidstoopid Albany, NY New
    edited July 2003
    Originally posted by runnerman
    Unfortunately, I recently tried to install a driver and the computer asked for the windows CD which is missing in action.

www.microsoft.com

any other answer violates microshaft's eula
  • edited July 2003
    When I looked at

microsoft.com it appers that they no longer sell/support 98.

I was hoping that someone knew where I can buy (legally) software from prehistoric times.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Many OEMs still carry it. You can pick up a copy from www.thechipmerchant.com
    edited July 2003
    I was hoping that someone knew where I can buy (legally) software from prehistoric times.

:)

NP

But for the amount you're going to pay, might I suggest finding a copy of XP Pro on eBay.
  • MERRICKMERRICK In the studio or on a stage
    edited July 2003
    Why not just find the particular driver for now? And can't he find a 98SE on ebay as well?
    edited July 2003
    This is one example why...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3617798699&category=41884

another...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3617713881&category=41884

(these aren't completed auctions yet, so they are likely to sell for well over $50 :( )

He hasn't asked about the driver yet...
  • MERRICKMERRICK In the studio or on a stage
    edited July 2003
    First one sold at $90 That's whacked!:confused:
  • edited July 2003
    Totally, when Pricegrabber is showing FULL 98 SE for about $66.00 including shipping for the first company I would think might be decent(my usual source is having such demand versus supply that they are selling FULL 98 SE for about $95.00 right now). (licenses only are around $41.00 now, and the license gives you a legal product key). And there are three Full 98 SE trades that show the buy now at about $71.00 on eBay itself which look to have been posted quite recently. Two of them at least are being sold by a guy who is reasonably reliable on the surface-- 119 sales, 99.2% positive.

John Danielson.
  • verselloversello New
    edited July 2003
    I am running Win 98 SE.

You can try pointing the requested file to look in C:\windows\system

Tip: copy the cab files to your HD if you ever get ahold of another CD
  • ShivianShivian Australia
    edited July 2003
    Originally posted by stoopid
    ...might I suggest finding a copy of XP Pro on eBay.
    XP Pro runs unbearably slow on older rigs... (sure statement of the obvious but I'm just saying it ain't worth it).
  • tophericetopherice Oak Ridge, TN
    edited July 2003
    Always, always, always copy the .cab files to the HD before installing and install from the HD as opposed to the CD-ROM and you will never again have this issue.
  • edited July 2003
    That, or with 98 open regedit, look for 'InstallPath', edit to point to C:\Options\Cabs which is where I stick my cab sets or perhaps in C:\Windows\Options\Cabs if you like that, or even if you have a second HD use D:\Options\Cabs if that is what 98 wants to call your second HD.
    edited July 2003
    How do you install from HDD? Bootdisk and have the whole cd copied on HDD? (I've generally used a bootable CD)
  • tophericetopherice Oak Ridge, TN
    edited July 2003
    Format hard disk, copy WIN98 or i386 dir from the CD to the HD depending on OS.Then launch setup from the HD. Much faster than CD install and all .cab files will be on the HD. This is the old school way, what we did before bootable install CD.
    edited July 2003
    Ahh ok thanks :)
    (wasn't sure how much of the install cd you needed)