Wtf Is The ` Thing That's On The ~ Key?

DocanoDocano Texas
edited July 2003 in Science & Tech
Yea, I know what tilde is, but what in the hell is that other backwards apostrophe thing? What's it called?

I'd like proof of its name once you say it cuz I've heard things from "crotch" to "ehportsopa" (apostrophe spelled backwards).

FIRST PERSON TO FIGURE IT OUT GETS A BLOWJOB AND A NEW CAR!

Comments

• edited July 2003
    It's called a grave (pronounced gravae and is not the burial place grave) if it is above a letter, or acute accent if at end of word:
    http://www.math.fau.edu/locke/SymTest.htm

Adobe has a pdf here about symbols and such:
    www.adobe.com/print/tips/felici20001030/pdfs/codes.pdf

It is used by some languages as a character accent or emphasizer for a word, like Resume` (French language derived, that one, turns an e into an ae sound and is a shortcut for the Latin ae).

Think I better be quiet before the flamin' oil arrives.... :) I'll pass on the rewards, thanks. :)
  • DocanoDocano Texas
    edited July 2003
    AGEEK4PRESIDENT!

/me gets on his knees and smiles like a donut
  • edited July 2003
    Um, not about to take THAT job, but thanks for the thanks. I learned Desktop Publishing before I learned electronics.
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    What have I stumbled into... :eek:
  • verselloversello New
    edited July 2003
    Originally posted by Trekky8472
    What have I stumbled into... :eek:

rofl
  • eofeof
    edited July 2003
    it starts programs in *nix shell scripts....

`hack -h jo0
  • drowddrowd Texas
    edited July 2003
    do you guys like, i dunno, want to perhaps get a room, or something . . .
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Also used to select tables in SQL.

My ~ key just has ~ and #.

But my ` key has ` ¬ and ¦

NS
  • edited July 2003
    My multilingual keyboard has keys like NS's, but the US one has it as the first poster described-- key just under ESC and to left of the number 1 and ! key.

The thread starter has a US keyboard. And I take the 4prez as about equal to "you da man," which is thanks of a sort.

So, trekky, you stumbled on a keyboard keymapping and symbol ID discussion, nothing more from my end anyhow. :D
  • edited July 2003
    BTW ~ is known as "tilde"
  • danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited July 2003
    Ignore this post
    edited July 2003
    I thought all keyboards were the same.

My tilde key has ~ and `
    But my number key has # and 3

And that | thing has \ on it.

©danball1976:D
  • DocanoDocano Texas
    edited July 2003
    lol wtf
  • edited July 2003
    Um, US uses ASCII, while England and Europe do not normally do so (Nightshade is not from the US, as a visit to the Atomic Cabbage Forums will prove). They use a different keyboard layout-- an International layout. Each language can in fact have its own keyboard layout.
  • LiLbRoLiLbRo Troy, Michigan
    edited July 2003
    what is the nueve` (spelling?) key.. i know i messed it up with the spelling, but where is that... i though it was ~` one of those.. help! ahhh, i have to goto bed
  • DocanoDocano Texas
    edited July 2003
    Maybe neuve is how you say tilde in another language. haha, I dunno
  • ShivianShivian Australia
    edited July 2003
    Definitely sounds it.... french or something. Translation on google from french -> eng gives "new". Hmmm... :confused:
  • edited July 2003
    People who speak different languages might have different words used. Google is literal. Thus "new" key might be right for what the French call an accute accent. But the same word "nueve" is also Spanish for the number 9. The answer I gave way back when in this thread was for American, and is also used in some other English speaking countries.
  • DocanoDocano Texas
    edited July 2003
    In French, it's called "une grave." I know because we'd always talk about it in French class.
  • MERRICKMERRICK In the studio or on a stage
    edited July 2003
    I'm still looking for the "any" key:p

Sorry. I'll be more serious.
  • ShivianShivian Australia
    edited July 2003
    I'm still waiting on a "do it" key :)
  • edited July 2003
    what's really annoying is french keyboards...my friend had one..and the q was where the a was...so i'd always end up typing stuff like hqhqhqhq..instead of hahaha
    edited July 2003
    I heard that Packard Bell or Tandy actually had a "any" key on their keyboards.
  • edited July 2003
    You used to be able to purchase stickers for your spacebar that said "Any Key".
  • EnverexEnverex Worcester, UK Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    Originally posted by danball1976
    I heard that Packard Bell or Tandy actually had a "any" key on their keyboards.

That would be compaq, and they didn't actually HAVE an any key, they just answered the "Where is the Any key?" in the FAQ on their website.

NS
  • MERRICKMERRICK In the studio or on a stage
    edited July 2003
    hqhqhqhq oops I mean hahahaha

Perhaps a thread on the most "are people really that outta touch"? Tech Support FAQs