CD Burner freezes

ramdexramdex Tucson
edited August 2003 in Hardware
Every time i Try to burn anything, no matter what programe i use it freezes at the end of burning it. Its an optrite cw4082. I about ready to buy a new burner but i wanna see if any of you guys can help me here. Thx.

Comments

• CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    We need some more info here... System specs, programs you've tried, Operating system, etc.
  • edited July 2003
    I can suggest a couple things-- first, data burns on normal CD blanks can use about 540 MB of data per CD if you are dragging and dropping or a bit more if you are burning backups from one big backup file per CD. The 650 is raw file space, data CDs take up a small amount for directories that can exceed the TOC space. Music CDs use leadin time between tracks,and thus can hold maybe 5-8 min less than the rated amount or even less trhan that, so figure an hour if you do a bunch of sessions with one track in each.

So first thing might be to see exactly what the program says in error message and if it is saying there is not enough space, maybe the way you are doing it there is NOT enough space for what you want to fit on CD.

But more info of what you know woudl help, and lets start with one kind of burning,data or audio or movies and see if can get that working then handle the others, ok???

Pick one kind of burning, tell us more about the problem, ok??
  • AMD-FanAMD-Fan Virginia Beach
    edited July 2003
    Hi
    Well tell me about your power supply? You only have problems
    when burning a CD? Maybe your system is under powered for
    the hardware you have? Put your system specs on here it may help somebody diagnois your problem.
  • ShivianShivian Australia
    edited July 2003
    Tried it in another rig?
  • ramdexramdex Tucson
    edited July 2003
    OK yeah i thougt a i had a too liltle info,

Its a athlonx xp 1900 with a 320 watt power supply, i have a dvd rom and the burner. Win xp home, Geofrce 4 ti4200, and 512 megs of ddr ram.

here is the error message it gives me
    AM 04:26:39 Error message : [05/21/00] - Logical Block Address Out Of Range
    AM 04:26:39 (D:) OPTORITE CD-RW CW4802 (0:0) : Recording failed!
    AM 04:26:41 Something is wrong with the recording procedure!

anyways im thinking of buying a new one but im unsure if its my comp or the burner itsself. im gonna barrow an older one and see if it works.

tell me if u need more info then i have provided
  • kanezfankanezfan sunny south florida Icrontian
    edited July 2003
    have you tried another brand of blank CDs?
  • ramdexramdex Tucson
    edited July 2003
    yeah i have, i have also tried lower write speeds
    edited July 2003
    Your drive firmware may not support say 80min cds?
    When you say you've tried burning anything, have you tried burning say 10MB of stuff (to a RW just so you don't waste a cd)?
  • ramdexramdex Tucson
    edited July 2003
    yep tried that

1:54:24 PM #23 CDR -201 File WriterStatus.cpp, Line 153
    Invalid write state

1:54:24 PM #24 TRANSFER -18 File WriterStatus.cpp, Line 153
    Could not perform EndTrack

1:54:26 PM #25 Phase 34 File dlgbrnst.cpp, Line 1655
    Simulation failed at 40x (6,000 KB/s)

That what it says with nero when i simulate it. what does that mean.
  • ramdexramdex Tucson
    edited July 2003
    Well i swaped an older burner my friend had and it worked fine so im just gonna buy a new one, the bad part is now i have one that is completely worthless, ARG! o well. ill just use the older one for awile so i have a burner that works, heh until i get my new one. Thanks
  • edited July 2003
    Um, CD-RW media platters accept data at 4X or 12X max. Memorex High Speed CD-RWs burn at 10X forme, not 12X. Burners can handle more speed, not the media. So a 40X sim will fail as the burner is saying the CD-RW blank cannot do that. So, try burning 25 MB to a CDR, and set the speed to 16X, exactly once.

The power supply is underpowered to rip from the DVD to the CD burner with all the other stuff you have in the box. I would run a 400W PSU there at least to live-rip CDs of audio type.

The older and slower burner is pulling a lot less power to burn slower, the motor that does the rotating pulls a decent amount of power. Reading also pulls much less power than the burning process. Running the DVD and burning from a CD in the DVD puills one heck of a lot of power.

So, one more set of questions: Does the burner mostly fail when the DVD is plugged in?? Does it mostly fail when the DVD is ripping data??? If you are ripping audio CDs using the burner, what happens if you use the old burner to read the CD you want to rip, and burn the ripping to the Artec burner at 12X???

if the answer to the first two is Yes, and the last answer is "it works," I think you need a bigger power supply. If the burner started acting up about the tiem you put the DVD in, I think it is even more likely the problem is not the burner but a Power Supply that is being pushed to give more juice than it can.

But best of luck with it.
  • ramdexramdex Tucson
    edited July 2003
    my cdrom burner has been acting up long beofore i got the dvd rom, so it isnt the cause of it acting up, as for power it's not an issue, it did the same thing on other rigs. I also said i tried a small file at a low speed with different media.

Anyways i think it is a problem with the drive its self so i will buy a new one from newegg.

However i will go with ur advice of purcasing a new PS sence a 400watt PS is rather cheap these days, just to see what happens, plus i will need it once i buy my audigy 2 platinum.

tell me if the 400 watt sounds good, also this cd burner was cheap, got horrible reviews, I think it just died personaly but itll be interesting to see what happens when there is more juice.

What can i use to see if my ps is currently maxed out?
    edited July 2003
    does it even read CDs at all anymore?
  • ramdexramdex Tucson
    edited July 2003
    yeah ittl read cds just fine, just doesnt burn
    edited July 2003
    at the price these things go for nowadays, you might as well stop wasting your time as you said. I wanted to say return it from the beginning, but some people seem to think I jump to that conclusion too much ;[[[[[[[[ rofl
  • edited July 2003
    So, you want to add an audigy2. Ok, with a new Lite On 52X burner that should be enough power if you get a good 400W PSU, and if you get a cheaperr one get a 450W as what will be dropped is the 5 and 12 volt rails.
    edited July 2003
    320W is plenty for his rig... unless the PSU is dodgy then it isn't the problem.
    edited July 2003
    Actually 400w power supply is the bare minimum for all the
    hardware he has lited. Will 320w work for a while yes that is
    possible. To be on the safe side and have things work correctly
    he needs more watts. Many problems can arise from insufficient
    power. I am concerned about any system that has trouble
    burning CDs but works well other wise that is a red flag for a
    poor power supply. Most people do not invest in a good power
    supply and it is extremely important!!!
    edited July 2003
    I run more hardware than that at and at peak it takes about 220-240W (via power consumption readings from my UPS). AMD recommends a min 300W PSU too.

But I agree that the quality of the PSU is a big factor.
  • edited July 2003
    320W is a weird enough figure that I think the OP is using a peak rating. Typically, PSUs come in even 50W increments for ATX. I have seen 325 AT power supplies and have seen folks stick adapters on and try to use for an ATX solution, and that will not work.

The cheapest ones use peak and not normal use ratings. They should not do so, but they do. So, figure that you need a normal of about .8 of peak. So, if he gets a cheap one, he is getting a normal use rating of 320W if he buys a 400W cheapie. If he wants to add a faster CPU later, and add a second HD of big size, then he needs a cheap 450W to give a real normal load of 360W. The difference the way I buy is $10.00 USD between a decent cheaper 400 and a 450. For cheaper I use Codegen and for good\great I use Antec or PC Power and Cooling. A 430W good is about equivalent to a 475W cheapie.

For cheap, add 50W to good comparable PSU value because good has spare peak and will peak longer than cheap.

Shivian:

AMD is not thinking a DVD plus Burner plus Adugiy2 Platinum amplifying sound plus possibly two HDs plus more than 256 MB RAM plus decent video card-- they are thinking 1 HD, 256 MB, CD-ROM plus CD-RW drive or combo DVD-CD-RW plus normal sound without amplification. That is the minimum 300W good PSU recommendation base system, and to get cheap you add 50W to spec cheap. So, 350W cheap for AMDs base. I add 50-75W slop onto that for decent growth for someone who has any plans to grow his system. So, 400W to 425W for a cheap PSU, but for a very good one 375W-400W is enough to allow for growth.

And unless someone is STUCK for cash I would say buy up a step in PSU. If stuck, Antec makes a top-notch 350W that will handle a good system and peak at about 410W or a tib more. A PC Power and Cooling 350W would be good enough also. Codegen makes a decent 400W that handles my Barton 2500 box fine. AOpen makes reasonable PSUs also, and their 350W would be good enough.

I have been building and working on and studying boxes for quite a while, I graduated from High School in '71 and had been using a closet sized computer in High School. I first got paid to build boxes from scratch in 1990, and had fixed my and other friends machines including motherboard swapouts before then. Not flaming at all or arguing, but know what I am saying here.
  • ramdexramdex Tucson
    edited August 2003
    yeah this one is cheap but i went ahead and purchased a 350 watt power suppky from new egg, it go good user reviews from there so i figured id get that. not i have to wait i wont be adding any new H/W untill it arrives.
    edited August 2003
    Which power supply did you get? What other hardware are you
    planing on adding in the future? Why did you not get the 400w?
    The power supply is very important.
    You can now use two power supplys if needed just put your cds
    on one and the other items on one. I know a guy who runs his
    system like that but before he added his secound power supply
    he could not burn any Cds at all. Now he has a stabil system that
    burns CDs perfectly.