4-in-1 Via Drivers - XP Necessary?

SeaOtterSeaOtter Cambria, CA
edited October 2003 in Science & Tech
I have installed Windows XP on a KT7-Raid mother board. Does XP provide all the necessary drivers or must I still install the Via 4-in-1 drivers? Thank you in advance for a response...

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    It is highly recommended that you install the latest VIA 4-in-1s, since the drivers that are bundled with XP are generally out-of-date.

Especially on the older VIA chipsets, many bugs were fixed with the later revisions of 4-in-1 drivers.
  • DooGieDooGie Stockport UK
    edited October 2003
    Put it this way. I got a very large performance boost in 3D Mark 2001 after installing the 4 in 1 drivers. When I say boost I mean an increase of around 2000. The default XP AGP drivers do not work well full stop.
  • danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited October 2003
    No they aren't necessary. In fact they can make problems even worse.
  • ShivianShivian Australia
    edited October 2003
    4.38's I found to be good on my older Via PIII board. Going to the new Hyperion's stuffed it up quite a bit so I don't bother stuffing around with the new drivers now that my setup is stable. The earlier revisions (pre 4.35's) were trouble too.
  • SeaOtterSeaOtter Cambria, CA
    edited October 2003
    Can the 4-in-1 drivers be installed over a "fully installed" operating system? XP home edition is randomly freezing and all other trouble shooting has been done. However, the 4-in-1 drivers where never installed and the mobo has via chipsets on both the north and south bridge processors.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited October 2003
    You can install the 4-in-1's at any point.

Danball, I have to wholeheartedly disagree with your advice. The microsoft drivers are terribly unoptimized, and you will not get the performance that you paid for unless you install the 4-in-1 drivers.
  • edited October 2003
    i dont install them because it fucks up counterstrike with my via motherboard and geforce4 mx video card. kinda wierd. oh well