Primary Slave Drive - ATAPI Incompatable; Press F1 to Resume ~~~apon start up with...

yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
edited February 2004 in Hardware
first off, this is how my computer is set up:
Asus P4C800 E-Deluxe Mother board

Primary (parallel) raid controller built into motherboard has 1 Maxtor 250GB as master, 1 Maxtor 160 GB as slave, just set to RAID 0

Primary IDE has Seagate 120 GB Hard Drive as master and a CD-RW/DVD Player as slave

Secondary IDE has a DVD player has master, CD-RW as slave
*I have 2 dvd players and 2 cd rw (overlapping on one drive) because #1-I have room to put them there, #2- I want them in use in some computer, #3 the combo drive has 8mb cache, but is the noisiest of all 3, basically I want the option of quietness or more cache. #4 is simply because they are sooooo cheap on rebates.
PROBLEM IS HERE:
When I start the computer it shows the little bios screen with the P4 label (or the comp specs if I desire), then it shows it searching for bios or whatever and finds the raid 0 setup, then it beeps and flashes to a screen that says Primary Slave Drive - ATAPI Incompatible; Press F1 to Resume
What I want to happen:
That screen to disappear and to not beep and to not lock up the system untill I press F1.
What I have tried:
1. Switched master and slave with hard drive and combo drive
2. checked jumpers, and even changed from cs to master and slave
Other note:
This has happened before (before I read manual and figured out what the raid stuff was) when I attempted to plug same 2 devices into raid parallel port and 3rd hard drive into an IDE plug, the difference then was that the harddrive was the only thing plugged into the IDE on its own individual cable, and I only had 2 cd/dvd rom drives then.
PLEASE HELP!

Comments

• NebulousNebulous New York, The Empire State
    edited January 2004
    Hmmm, did you install the raid drivers?
  • yaggayagga Havn't you heard? ... New
    edited January 2004
    the os is not installed, do I have to do that before the os?
    edited January 2004
    all i have to install the drivers is the 1 motherboard cd but I think it only runs after windows.

Okay, manual says drivers go in during or after os install, so I assume with xp and 2k which I am putting in it that I must do that F6 thing from the start.

Update, I have unplugged the primary IDE so only secondary with 2 cd/dvd drives are in. Same screen pops up!, I am wondering if the primary they mean is really the raid primary.

Another question, I have to use Fdisk to format the drives then? I may look pretty stupid, but I honestly do not use Fdisk because I have used the maxtor software that came with the drive to format. How do I get the Fdisk? I would like to format it into multiple partions.

I have a possible answer to why I am getting that error, could it be that one hard drive is 160 GB and the other is 250? for RAID 0 i didn't think it mattered.
    edited January 2004
    you know what? I give up! Can't get error to stop, can't get formatted, can't get os to respond where it says "press enter to continue." Unless someone has an idea I guess I am stuck with the old pci card (which I don't like because it adds about 10 seconds to the loading time). And is there a way I can create the raid after I install both windows xp and 2000?
    edited January 2004
    ok here you go:

No matter how you set up raid, once the drives are formatted and you are installing the os ( xp) there will be a break in the start of the installation asking if you are going to install 3rd party scsi or raid drivers, press F6. You press F6 then it will prompt you to install the raid drivers. After that you will see the screen resuming back to installing the os.

Yes you have to create the Raid array first before you install the os.
    edited January 2004
    Sorry if I sound impatient, but I am kind of trying to get it set up tonight and stuff that doesn't work makes me (and anybody) mad. I will try that f6 thing once more, since I think I missed it last time. Then if it works, well tada, but I presume that the primary slave error will still be there, if so I think I will just undo the raid.:o

You know, I guess the problem I was thinking was that I don't have a driver disk, Asus didn't give a special raid driver disk at all.

Maybe a Vanilla Pepsi and turning the tv on will cheer me up.;)
    edited January 2004
    lol yeah, i know. Sometimes things get me aggrevated as well if it doesn't work right.

Why don't you go to the Asus site and download the raid drivers. It will automatically create a disk (floppy) for ya and you're set.

Oh also don't forget to fdisk and format each drive before doing the raid and os thing.
    edited January 2004
    You know what, I never even thought about downloading the raid drivers. dummy me :o :rolleyes: "Frustration only brings about dummer ideas in which create more frustration."

and*** TADA somehow that error went away! I switched the order of the drives (I will note *again*) and now it's gone, hmm, wonder what that was all about.

I am doing that next, but I think it stole my 90 extra Gigs from my 250 hard drive, oh well, performance in this case is better.

When I format it, can I just use the Maxtor cd, or windows formatter? If I use windows formatter I would reformat the other parts with Partition Magic then in order to have multiple partitions. Unless Fdisk can make ntfs formats.
    edited January 2004
    If it's up and runng, then leave it be. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
    edited January 2004
    okay, I had some trouble getting the drivers to download, then I had some problems with a floppy disk, and attempting to copy too much from the drivers to the sidk, but I got it right, and it installed into xp after the first disk was making it say errors.

It now says my 3rd hard drive not on the raid is C, which I would rather have changed, since its the extra one I want it at the end of the chain of letters. Is there anyway to do this, how I did it before was that I Partioned the whole thing one extended drive, so that it would not be forced into an early letter. DUH! I can unplug it, I think I need to think more tonight, hopefully this works. But... if I replug it in won't it try to be C again? That would mess everything up. Any ideas? I think I need C to be a gig or 2 of empty space the the 2 os can cooperate, and possibly have swap space. Then I wanted D and E to be the os, then F and G (I would manually change the G one to F later so its F on both os and less confusing). So, is the IDE hard drive always gonna want to be the first letter with the raid?

Progress Update: I have used partition magic to partition to my liking, dang ~~~ ALL ntfs makes it go fast. I am now going to reinstall xp because in experience there must be no os on C when dual booting. There was a missing dll during install and pops up after windows starts, hopefully i fixed that with saving another copy of the dll on the floppy. I am getting VERY happy!:D :D:D
    edited February 2004
    Looks like you're on your way then ;)
    edited February 2004
    Yep. I had some software installation problems that I couldn't resolve so I am reinstalling windows again this morning, problems probably due to rushing and possibly trying to do 2 things at once. The drive letters are slightly different, I can change all but the os of course, but I preferably wanted them to be the same on each os (except where D and E would be separate os). I am still working and hopefully will get this running in a couple hours!
    edited February 2004
    Ok, I have tried all weekend, problems with this set up are hurendous! Blue screens of death, as well as automatic rebooting all the time, as well as the "sync. out of range" error on windows xp has made me decide to not use the raid, I didn't notice performance when it was running either, and I also didn't like my drive letters all mixed up (they were matched to my other systems soon to be setup, which will take place after I can transfer data from that to this setup). Back to sweet and simple.

As an added bonus: +90 GB more space, and easier to format harddrives!

SOOOO MANY +'s!!!, maybe if I get some serial drives for my next system in a couple years I will do this, that I will.
    edited February 2004
    Awman, sry about the misfortunes bro :(
    edited February 2004
    Well...

UPDATE: Windows XP works great on first install attempt!(the no RAID way), My games work fine, no problems in sight! Hopefully it stays like this, which it never has thus far. Tomorrow I will tackle Windows 2K, which is already installed, but with nothing else inside it.

I am as happy as I ever have been with this computer!:D :):cool::p
    edited February 2004
    Great!