Anyone know a way to unstick a hard-drive?

SpYSpY
edited February 2004 in Hardware
Got an older 22Gig Maxtor drive ive had sitting around and id like to stick it in a little beater box im throwing together. The issue is, i took this drive out of a system a year or so ago cause the head was getting stuck more and more frequently. It started off where i would just have to open my case and give it a little tap with a screwdriver on the casing, turn my machine back on and then it worked fine. it lowly progressed to where i have to literally take the drive out and whack it on my desk to get it workin again, it then hangs back up within 30-45 minutes.. From what ive been informed the reason a drive does this is because of a buildup of static on the head causeing it to stay seated. could also be related to bad bearings but im pretty sure thats not it. bad bearings usually make a drive get noisy. anyways, does someone know a fix for this? the drive isnt going to be used to crucial data, nor do i mind throwing it around my apartment if i must :) lemme know if you got a tip.

Comments

• SpYSpY
    edited February 2004
    wow my profile is so outdated. lol, i havent posted here in like 6 months. Awesome redisgn BTW. Icrontic has been my homepage for 3 years now and i was definately gettin sick of the style sheet used for the last yr or so. Nice job!
  • septimusseptimus Toronto, Canada
    edited February 2004
    There really isnt anything you can do as it is a physical problem... I would check with Maxtor and see if they will RMA it as it probably has a 3 year warranty. If it doesn't have any warranty left then you could either toss it or maybe take matters into your own hands and crack it open and see what you can do to prevent the head from getting stuck :D

If it were me I would crack it open ASAP ;)
  • septimusseptimus Toronto, Canada
    edited February 2004
    SpY wrote:
    wow my profile is so outdated. lol, i havent posted here in like 6 months. Awesome redisgn BTW. Icrontic has been my homepage for 3 years now and i was definately gettin sick of the style sheet used for the last yr or so. Nice job!

Versello and Aranyic are GENIUSES. Looks cool eh! :cool:
  • SpYSpY
    edited February 2004
    yeah it super slick. now all we need is some of the old IC flavor back. Ghetto pimpin mini cars, some bust a gut funny reviews, Teh Funny, and all the killer news thats still rollin thru.
  • SpYSpY
    edited February 2004
    The good news.

I just made a shiny new doorstop! it came out great!

The bad news.

See, (The good news)