"Poof" goes the psu

NebulousNebulous New York, The Empire State
edited March 2004 in Hardware
Well my Enermax psu went poof. Looks like the strain was a bit too much. Using a back up pos rig i just slapped together. Been looking at this baby. I luv those rails!

DC Output:
+3.3V~35.0A,
+5V~50A,
+12V~30A

[Tim Allen] more power! ar ar ar ar ar![/Tim Allen] :D

Comments

• GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited March 2004
    get a global winn 5120 i have one best psu ive ever touched
  • septimusseptimus Toronto, Canada
    edited March 2004
    Wow... was that PSU modded? Looking at your sig, I think that the PSU should have been more than able to stay alive. Perhaps one of the fans died in your PSU and the sucker overheated. :o
  • NebulousNebulous New York, The Empire State
    edited March 2004
    septimus, yep modded to the hilt. Guess the starin was too much ;)

Gnomewizardd. nice psu! I'll look into it, thanx!
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited March 2004
    Nebulous, Thats a byte in the.... :confused:

Hmmm, to mod or not? now I have to rethink the 3.3V mod. :(
    edited March 2004
    Well i go the xtreme and i knew the consequences. Am i gonna do it again?...... Hell yeah! :D lol.

It's like being a race car driver. You push it to the max, it blows, you build another one, lol.
    edited March 2004
    :cool: my wallet doesn't let me go that far, but I know what ya mean!!!!
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited March 2004
    this global win psu is the best! stays on for 3 min even without a power plugged into it to keep it cool after shut down
    edited March 2004
    Well i got a pos Austin 450w psu for 32 bux shipped used and it needed a vmod on the 3.3v rail. Got it done and running 3.52v so this pos psu is holding it's own for now.

Hopefully it'll hold till i get my new one :) Good to be back.
    edited March 2004
    Well, I got a replacement. Antec True 550w. Bought it for a song. Funny how the rails on all the Antec psus are weak. I call it the Antec curse, lol. Anyways I knew it wasn't gonna power The cyclops with those weak arse rails so i went and vmodded all 3 :D
    Rails now are:

+12v = 12.45v
    +5v = 5.15v
    +3.3v= 3.6v ;)

If i need more voltage, all i do is get my trusty multimeter and turn a screw. Good to know i have the power, lol
    edited March 2004
    Neb, on the Rail mods that you've done, do you put a resistor inline with the pot/VR?
    edited March 2004
    Zuntar wrote:
    Neb, on the Rail mods that you've done, do you put a resistor inline with the pot/VR?

Nope, Just a straight up 10k/15 turn VR potentiometer. I zero it out meaning I set it to 10k or make sure its set to 10k, then i connect the sensor wire to the 1st leg of the VR and the ground wire to the middle leg. Cut off the 3rd leg of the VR because it's not needed. Cover with tape or glue so it doesn't make contact with anything else. After soldering, jump the green and black wires from the ATX connector and power the psu up. Get a multimeter and set it to 20v DC. On the 3.3v rail you check the orange wire thru the AUX connector. Red to orange and black to ground. Start turning the VR clockwise slowly and watch the voltage on the rail go up. Be sure to mount the VR somewhere where it's easy to get to and not moving around. The legs are very fragile and can break off if you move it around too much.

When checking for the 5v and 12v rails, check them thru the molex connector. Same rule applies. Once you have your rails set to desired voltage, hook the puppy up to the mobo and power up. Put the pc on a load like folding or something and check the rails again. You might see a small fluctation so adjust if needed. That's it, done deal. :D

Be advised you do this at your own risk!
    edited March 2004
    The reason I asked about the resistor, is that there are other mods out there that are different.
    Nebulous wrote:
    Be advised you do this at your own risk!
    But of course!! Worst thing that could happen is I will have to buy a better PSU! ;)
    edited March 2004
    Zuntar wrote:
    The reason I asked about the resistor, is that there are other mods out there that are different.

But of course!! Worst thing that could happen is I will have to buy a better PSU! ;)

lol ;):D

Yeah, but you gotta find te resistor, find it's value and do the mod which is a pain in the a$$ :rolleyes: The sensor wire method is the easiest to do :D .

Have fun and keep me posted!